• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

T

Thanatos123

Student
Feb 18, 2020
I've been thinking to rent some storage space for my items to avoid suspicion.
Do you think it's a good idea to go for a rental-storage?

What questions do they ask and do they inspect the storage units?

I'm also concerned about giving them my address because I don't want them to send me any bills or junk mail to my home address.

How can I deal with this?
If storage unit rental is not a good idea, then what other choices do I have?

Reactions: Gnip
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
You wanna put your ctb items there?
They shouldn't inspect it, that would be a violation of privacy but idk

mirko

mirko

ah
Nov 19, 2020
I've been thinking to rent some storage space for my items to avoid suspicion.
Do you think it's a good idea to go for a rental-storage?

What questions do they ask and do they inspect the storage units?

I'm also concerned about giving them my address because I don't want them to send me any bills or junk mail to my home address.

How can I deal with this?
If storage unit rental is not a good idea, then what other choices do I have?
I think you are overthinking it, don't you have any place to hide them where you live?

Throwmyselfaway

Throwmyselfaway

Not gone yet but soon
Jan 14, 2020
Legally they can't go in unless you haven't paid

fixitinpost

fixitinpost

Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
Oct 20, 2020
I rented self storage to house what was left after our rehearsal space was burglarized. No questions were asked. According to the contract, they reserve the right to access the space for repairs or in case of an emergency. Normally, they would contact me first and document what they did. But they had no right or reason to sift through my stuff while I was a paying customer.

Contractually, you may be in the wrong if you intend to store SN or any other kinds of hazardous substances though. Not that anyone will ever know if you hide it. Ideally you want a climate controlled space, or at the very least dry-air storage (i.e. humidity controlled), in case you e.g. want to store SN that may not be adequately sealed. Humidity can be a very real problem, and storage spaces generally don't have to abide by the standards that living spaces do. There are plenty of "legitimate" reasons for requesting this, such as wanting to store sensitive documents or digital backup tapes.

My provider only did digital bills, and I had set up to pay them automatically every month. So find a provider that operates this way. You can just ask, and if they against all odds ask "Why?", just say that you find digital bills easier to deal with.

Last edited:
Reactions: mirko
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
do they inspect the storage units?

No, because you provide your own lock. They would only break it if you didn't pay your rent or for a warrant (not to scare you!).

T

Thanatos123

Student
Feb 18, 2020
Thank you for the replies, everyone!
I'm not concerned about rental storage looking at my items.
However, I'm concerned if they send me my bill or promotional material to my home address.
I will be signing a contract and I'm not sure if they have to send me a physical copy of it.