xLosthopex

xLosthopex

Tell my dogs I love them
May 29, 2020
So I've been doing some research regarding this topic, and came across some articles regarding people who chose to ctb together, be it partners, friends, people who met online on the likes of this forum etc. I'm sure most of us know of the 2 people who ctb via SN in the UK who probably met on this site. There are also many articles of couples, often elderly couples who chose to ctb together.
But what happens when one person survives the attempt? Well there's plenty of articles on these so-called "failed suicide pacts" where survivors have been charged or faced charges ranging from assisting in someone's ctb, or full on murder! :O I cannot get over how incredibly insidious and cruel the laws are regarding this. To be considered a criminal and face a potential long term jail sentence for being suicidal, wanting to ctb and for not wanting to go through it alone by finding a partner going through the same thing as you. It's these outdated and barbaric laws that drive us to seek this in the first place by not allowing us to seek legal, medically assisted CTB and being able to openly discuss and ctb being surrounded by family and friends if you so chose. I was actually considering partnering up until I discovered this, had discussed plans and everything with someone from here but after reading this I don't think I could take the risk of one of us failing the attempt and facing a possible jail sentence. Sorry for the vent post I just find this so infuriating and sickening.
And I'm sure everyone reading these articles of 2 people who chose to ctb together all think "Aw isn't that so heartbreaking! RIP" Yet if one accidentally survived the same people would be happy to lock them up in jail

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: Venessolotic, TheDoomedDoomer, lmon and 19 others
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
That's the risk you take, if you can't face going alone it's either keep on struggling or find someone who wants to take the bus with you and take the risk. I think if you plan carefully and make sure you do things right, the risk of that should be minimal.

Reactions: sadworld, RedFoxSwims, foxdie and 5 others
xLosthopex

xLosthopex

Tell my dogs I love them
May 29, 2020
That's the risk you take, if you can't face going alone it's either keep on struggling or find someone who wants to take the bus with you and take the risk. I think if you plan carefully and make sure you do things right, the risk of that should be minimal.
Yeah but I guess I'm just venting because I just think this is so fucked up :( Punishing people who are already struggling and suffering so much... I hate this world

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, sadworld, foxdie and 7 others
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
Yeah but I guess I'm just venting because I just think this is so fucked up :( Punishing people who are already struggling and suffering so much... I hate this world
It is silly. If both of you die it's a suicide pact.

If one of you survives you could get prosecuted.

If you both survive neither of you get prosecuted, you boh get assessed by MH - which is basically nothing happens.

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, Iamamistake, sadworld and 3 others
Antigonish

Antigonish

Mage
Sep 19, 2020
I told my cousin let's ctb together. And she was like okay, but I'll probably back out last minute. So we'd be on the top of a bridge ready to jump. And once I went to leap she'd let my hand go.

It was a joke of course, but CTBing isn't. So the risk of failure isn't the major problem, the risk of having someone not follow through with you is the scary part. Atleast in my eyes. I think the beauty of partnering, is the intimacy of not going alone.
It is silly. If both of you die it's a suicide pact.

If one of you survives you could get prosecuted.

If you both survive neither of you get prosecuted, you boh get assessed by MH - which is basically nothing happens.
I dont think there is a large penalty for failing to properly ctb. A stay at a mental health institution at most. Also depending on your country of origin. The worst would probably be the social stigma one would get from citizens, peers, and family.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, LittleJem and TheQ22
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
So I've been doing some research regarding this topic, and came across some articles regarding people who chose to ctb together, be it partners, friends, people who met online on the likes of this forum etc. I'm sure most of us know of the 2 people who ctb via SN in the UK who probably met on this site. There are also many articles of couples, often elderly couples who chose to ctb together.
But what happens when one person survives the attempt? Well there's plenty of articles on these so-called "failed suicide pacts" where survivors have been charged or faced charges ranging from assisting in someone's ctb, or full on murder! :O I cannot get over how incredibly insidious and cruel the laws are regarding this. To be considered a criminal and face a potential long term jail sentence for being suicidal, wanting to ctb and for not wanting to go through it alone by finding a partner going through the same thing as you. It's these outdated and barbaric laws that drive us to seek this in the first place by not allowing us to seek legal, medically assisted CTB and being able to openly discuss and ctb being surrounded by family and friends if you so chose. I was actually considering partnering up until I discovered this, had discussed plans and everything with someone from here but after reading this I don't think I could take the risk of one of us failing the attempt and facing a possible jail sentence. Sorry for the vent post I just find this so infuriating and sickening.
And I'm sure everyone reading these articles of 2 people who chose to ctb together all think "Aw isn't that so heartbreaking! RIP" Yet if one accidentally survived the same people would be happy to lock them up in jail
Yes but what IS the actual law?

I'm sure that there wouldn't be a law that means that if someone survived a 'suicide pact' then they committed a crime.
If on the other hand one person pressured another into it for instance, well then that's different.

Reactions: esse_est_percipi and Antigonish
_Minsk

_Minsk

death: the cure for life
Dec 9, 2019
Well there's plenty of articles on these so-called "failed suicide pacts" where survivors have been charged or faced charges ranging from assisting in someone's ctb, or full on murder! :O
i just hate this fu**ing world for exactly those reasons:(

• Aww..
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, sadworld, foxdie and 4 others
Antigonish

Antigonish

Mage
Sep 19, 2020
Maybe they should prescribe the death penalty for suicide. It gives the perfect work around to the ethical dilemma. And then everyone walks happy. Well almost everyone walks away. But that's okay still a happy ending.

Reactions: Venessolotic, Iamamistake, sadworld and 7 others
xLosthopex

xLosthopex

Tell my dogs I love them
May 29, 2020
Yes but what IS the actual law?

I'm sure that there wouldn't be a law that means that if someone survived a 'suicide pact' then they committed a crime.
If on the other hand one person pressured another into it for instance, well then that's different.
Well the law differs in each country, in mine it's "anyone who aids, abets, counsels or procures in the assistance of another persons [CTB] they are liable.....and can face a prison sentence not exceeding 14 years" This can include someone who survives a ctb pact and the other person has died.
There are many articles out there regarding cases like this if you look it up, one elderly woman in the UK who survived a pact with her elderly husband who was terminally ill was facing MURDER charges, not even assisted CTB charges and could have faced a life time jail sentence. Thankfully she cleared, but the fact she even had to endure the trauma of going to trial after loosing her husband is just outrageous, unacceptable and barbaric

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Hmph!
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, sadworld, RedFoxSwims and 4 others
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
I told my cousin let's ctb together. And she was like okay, but I'll probably back out last minute. So we'd be on the top of a bridge ready to jump. And once I went to leap she'd let my hand go.

It was a joke of course, but CTBing isn't. So the risk of failure isn't the major problem, the risk of having someone not follow through with you is the scary part. Atleast in my eyes. I think the beauty of partnering, is the intimacy of not going alone.

I dont think there is a large penalty for failing to properly ctb. A stay at a mental health institution at most. Also depending on your country of origin. The worst would probably be the social stigma one would get from citizens, peers, and family.
In the UK a couple went camping or in a camping hut/yurt or something like that and took the BBQ inside. One of them died, the husband or wife or boyfriend or girlfriend - I forget which - survived - so one dead and one alive and in a bad way and in hospital.

The Police came and arrested them for assisting in a suicide / or whatever crime it was, because one died and one survived.

So the moral of the story is - make sure you both/all go, or none do.

Reactions: sadworld, Deleted member 4993 and xLosthopex
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
this kind of thing demonstrates just how illiberal, intolerant and authoritarian such societies are.
Being punished for trying to escape it (which should be a fundamental human right, i.e. leaving of one's own accord with dignity, and with others if they want) with other distraught people. We're basically living in a huge metaphysical prison.

• Hugs
  • Hmph!
Reactions: Venessolotic, BeautifulMosaics, sadworld and 4 others
S

Sk1n1M1n

Experienced
Jan 29, 2020
But there is a chance that someone in the pact may not want to CTB when they are standing at cliff or train station, going there nay bring them comfort but it takes a lot of guts to do it.

R

RedFoxSwims

Oct 8, 2020
This is the reason why I won't have a partner.that and I don't have faith in people like I don't have faith in the system. What sense is it to send a suicidal person to prison?

Reactions: Meditation guide
Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
I guess you would get done by the law, because in their eye's, if you have survived, you should have made sure the other survived? I have no idea how it works, and agree its bullshit, What if you have all the written evidence that it was a pact, and that you were both in agreement etc?
There is no rhyme or reason when it comes to suicide. I swear the law makes up the rules as they go along, as they see fit to the situation

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics and sadworld