zeezee349

zeezee349

nuh uh
Aug 13, 2023
Hi, just came on here to get advice on ways to help stop self-harming. i've been clean for a bit but the method i've been using doesn't rlly help me all that much. any advice is greatly appreciated :D

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: chronically_alive and psp3000
Coldpizza22

Coldpizza22

Crafter
Apr 2, 2023
What have you tried? Maybe some method that helps you express: like drawing (on yourself), journaling, writing a story? Or something less harmful like sliding ice cubes on your skin, helps with the summer heat.

• Informative
Reactions: zeezee349 and psp3000
angeliccry

angeliccry

~♱~
Mar 30, 2023
honestly, speaking for myself, i can't even pinpoint how i stopped harming myself, i suppose it's just having a distraction, whenever you feel like doing something to yourself try to keep yourself busy with a hobby, if you're feeling really unwell just lay and rest. ive heard people would draw a butterfly or some sort of image on the areas they would harm in order to try and stop themselves from doing it, maybe that'll help.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: redisblue, zeezee349 and psp3000
maybunni

maybunni

endless
Aug 14, 2023
What worked for me was really just throwing away what I would use to self harm (razors), even though the urge remained. The urge can be unbearable at times, especially when you don't have to means to self harm. All I can recommend is distracting yourself with something, anything. For me, I'd watch an episode of bluey (I know, maybe embarrassing for others but it helped ground me) because it was easy to pull up on my phone. Do you have any favourite shows? Hobbies? Sometimes I would listen to music and read/ recite the lyrics to distract myself from my thoughts.

Sometimes even just scrolling on social media. Just don't feel bad you have to use distractions to keep your self harm at bay. I at some point felt guilty?? but what ever works for you, works.

• Love
Reactions: redisblue, zeezee349, psp3000 and 1 other person
ninevoltheart

ninevoltheart

Aug 13, 2023
if you haven't thrown away your method (like blades or smth) then you should do that first. truth is, the urge is always gonna be there, so you should eliminate anything that helps you act on it

but when you get those urges, having a distraction can really help, like a good show or game or a hobby you can throw yourself into. maybe take your feelings out onto some paper and write them down so you can process it better. or you can go for a run, or punch a pillow, etc...

i think, to find what works, it depends on why you wanna hurt yourself in the first place; there's a lot of ways to deal with different emotions that aren't self-destructive.

you've made it this far, and that's something to be proud of already ! i really hope you find something that works for you.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: redisblue, zeezee349 and psp3000
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
what worked for me for a while was doing dishes
because it kept my hands busy and the sensation of extremely cold or hot water helped with the urges depending on your tolerance (edit: while listening to music)

I also used to put tiny binder clips on my hands
it doesn't hurt to me but it is really soothing

or I would dip my fingers in candle wax and then break the wax or peel it off

and then my favourite would have to be watching or reviewing various horror films and looking at the behind the scenes footage

I guess because you get to see other people get hurt but you can remember its not real and it may make you want to get into special effects or practice special effects on yourself with glue and what not

also wittling and carving various things wax, random pieces of wood, soap, etc.

Reactions: zeezee349
todienomore

todienomore

Arcanist
Apr 7, 2023
low dose naltrexone to fix your endorphins

• Informative
Reactions: zeezee349 and psp3000
zeezee349

zeezee349

nuh uh
Aug 13, 2023
What have you tried? Maybe some method that helps you express: like drawing (on yourself), journaling, writing a story? Or something less harmful like sliding ice cubes on your skin, helps with the summer heat.
i've done drawing (notebook & on myself) and the ice cubes, but like i mentioned before it just doesn't rlly seem to help me as much anymore. but i am going to try out journaling, thanks!
What worked for me was really just throwing away what I would use to self harm (razors), even though the urge remained. The urge can be unbearable at times, especially when you don't have to means to self harm. All I can recommend is distracting yourself with something, anything. For me, I'd watch an episode of bluey (I know, maybe embarrassing for others but it helped ground me) because it was easy to pull up on my phone. Do you have any favourite shows? Hobbies? Sometimes I would listen to music and read/ recite the lyrics to distract myself from my thoughts.

Sometimes even just scrolling on social media. Just don't feel bad you have to use distractions to keep your self harm at bay. I at some point felt guilty?? but what ever works for you, works.
Thanks! i rlly like the idea of watching something comforting. i'll probably try to watch gravity falls or some other show that brings nostalgia lol
if you haven't thrown away your method (like blades or smth) then you should do that first. truth is, the urge is always gonna be there, so you should eliminate anything that helps you act on it

but when you get those urges, having a distraction can really help, like a good show or game or a hobby you can throw yourself into. maybe take your feelings out onto some paper and write them down so you can process it better. or you can go for a run, or punch a pillow, etc...

i think, to find what works, it depends on why you wanna hurt yourself in the first place; there's a lot of ways to deal with different emotions that aren't self-destructive.

you've made it this far, and that's something to be proud of already ! i really hope you find something that works for you.
Thank you!! rlly appreciate the help :D
what worked for me for a while was doing dishes
because it kept my hands busy and the sensation of extremely cold or hot water helped with the urges depending on your tolerance (edit: while listening to music)

I also used to put tiny binder clips on my hands
it doesn't hurt to me but it is really soothing

or I would dip my fingers in candle wax and then break the wax or peel it off

and then my favourite would have to be watching or reviewing various horror films and looking at the behind the scenes footage

I guess because you get to see other people get hurt but you can remember its not real and it may make you want to get into special effects or practice special effects on yourself with glue and what not

also wittling and carving various things wax, random pieces of wood, soap, etc.
ooo okk! all these seem rlly helpful!! and i never thought of carving something as an option. i'll give that a try, thank you :D

Last edited:
Reactions: maybunni and todienomore
chronically_alive

chronically_alive

Jul 11, 2023
There's an app called Calm Harm which might help you when you feel the urge to self-harm :)

It has a list of activities which you can do to distract yourself.

I personally haven't tried it out yet (I've been clean for quite a while) but you can give it a try!

I'm also so proud of you for finding other methods to cope with your urges ❤️

Maeve

Maeve

The screaming never stops
Jul 17, 2023
I didn't fully stop but using heatcream on my arm and putting bandages over it helps me a lot. Its like that cream that you use 4 muscle pain hotter the better i found if i iritate my skin with a ballpoint pen (pushing it in until it hurts and pulling it over my skin like cutting this just iritates ur skin and does not scarr.)it burns more and gives me more calm chemicals. Sadly it only works if i notice the urge early enough it brings it from a 7back to a 4/3 for reference cutting brings it from 9 to 2 but shorter duration. It takes e few minutes to start burning but goes 4like at least half an hour. 4 me it makes the urge barable 4 the rest of the day. Exept when i get triggered.

Last edited:
CTBookOfLife

CTBookOfLife

ᴶᵘˢᵗ ᵃ ˢʰᵉˡˡ ᵒᶠ ᵃ ᵇᵒᵈʸ ʷⁱᵗʰ ᵐᵃⁿʸ ᵐⁱⁿᵈˢ
Aug 5, 2023
I found this pen online that is used for self harm prevention.

It essentially has essential oils and dye in it. There are different types, but the one I'd use has essential oils that cause a cooling/menthol sensation, because that reminds me of cutting.

They have one with red dye in it so it looks like blood, and everything. Obviously, it's not a long-term thing. The person even has a kit to "wean you off" of self harm. It starts with the highest amount of cooling effect and red dye, and goes down to less and less cooling and different colors until it's no cooling and no dye.

kittyneedsabreak

kittyneedsabreak

Sep 10, 2023
Honestly, something that worked for me better than any coping mechanism was just putting it off. Literally. The way you procrastinate an assignment or something, but when you get the urge, especially if it's more passive, just tell yourself I can worry about that later when I'm less busy or in a more convenient location or whatever excuse applies. And then just keep doing that so the later never comes, or when it does, you're too tired or don't want to anymore. I think it could help as a mental thing alongside more physical things that people have already listed here.