• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Sad_Autistic_boy_101

Sad_Autistic_boy_101

When I die, you'll love me.
Nov 19, 2019
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has recovered/ in the process of recovering from emotional numbness?

I haven't had emotions in nearly 2 years now and I feel if I was to recover, a big part of that would be regaining my emotions.

What's your experience of emotional numbing? How long did it last for? What helped to recover? Is there hope that I will ever feel again?

BeforeYouFallAsleep

BeforeYouFallAsleep

a corpse is talking
Oct 11, 2023
Ayo,

I think I've been emotional numb for about 2-3ish years now. So I can relate.
Till now there wasn't really anything that "fixed" it, more like smaller brakes.

Lately I've been gaming with a few friends again and it's actually fun. But after each session there's a drop back to the usual.

I also noticed that feeling sad or more negative is easier to obtain than feeling happy. At least for me, watching certain animes/movies/music can make me feel at least something again.
Especially if it's in some way connected to events that started all of this.
Even if it's "bad" emotions, I really like it cause it's finally different than this bland, grey nothingness.

Btw what happened that u lost ur emotions?
And did u never notice some moments, where u felt something?

Sad_Autistic_boy_101

Sad_Autistic_boy_101

When I die, you'll love me.
Nov 19, 2019
@BeforeYouFallAsleep
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! People really don't understand that depression or sadness is a much better feeling/ way of life then feeling completely nothing. I haven't yet found something that helps me feel even a little normal. I tend to just aimlessly scroll.

I can't really name a specific event that happened to cause loss of emotions. I lost my father figure to CTB but that was 3 years prior to losing emotions. This is the difficulty.. how can you even work on emotional loss when you don't even know what's caused it in the first place?! šŸ¤”

I've had very tiny snippets of emotion but they last maybe a few mins and then not again for several month.

Reactions: seekingrelease22
BeforeYouFallAsleep

BeforeYouFallAsleep

a corpse is talking
Oct 11, 2023
@BeforeYouFallAsleep
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! People really don't understand that depression or sadness is a much better feeling/ way of life then feeling completely nothing. I haven't yet found something that helps me feel even a little normal. I tend to just aimlessly scroll.

I can't really name a specific event that happened to cause loss of emotions. I lost my father figure to CTB but that was 3 years prior to losing emotions. This is the difficulty.. how can you even work on emotional loss when you don't even know what's caused it in the first place?! šŸ¤”

I've had very tiny snippets of emotion but they last maybe a few mins and then not again for several month.
I'm sorry that I can't help you or give anything besides my personal experience.
I for myself, have also no clue how to deal with this stuff and am only trying random things so yea

I'm also very sorry for your loss of your father figure <3
Tho it might be a trigger that led to all of this.

I'm not a therapist or anything, but if u haven't already, maybe try to find out why this started in the first place. It might be worth a shot.
Cause like u said, how can you fight something without even knowing what ur up against?

Try if u get these snippets again to remember them or maybe write down what caused them. So that u know where u can dig into and find out why it made u feel something.
I tend to forget these moments and am real quick back to this TV-static again before I even know it.

I don't know if that helps, all of my "solutions" are kinda basic thinking but yea. I think knowing your enemy is important if u want to overcome this.
So yea take care and don't give up <3

dragonofenvy

dragonofenvy

Mage
Oct 8, 2023
I'm seconding @BeforeYouFallAsleep 's advice on a therapist in order to find out where the problem originated from. In psychology, there's a saying that knowing precedes results. Often people think that they already know what the problem is and that want the answer to fix it. Unfortunately, looking for the answer often doesn't work, although that is usually how people first go into therapy. Talking to people about it, or even just thinking out loud and pretending that you're talking about it has actually helped me before. As crazy as it sounds sometimes I talk to a stuffed wolf I have and doing that somehow has given me a better understanding of some of the problems I have. I don't know how it works, it just works. Sometimes I get really pissed off or extremely depressed when doing it and that's okay. Other times it does nothing, and that's okay too.

• Love
Reactions: BeforeYouFallAsleep