Do you prefer to read books or listen to them?

• Read

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • Listen

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
Busticket

Busticket

Student
May 18, 2021
I personally prefer to visually read books.
I feel like it stimulates my brain more and I also remember more.
It's hard for me to focus on an audiobook.

However there is one big concern I have with reading.
I am afraid it will ruin my eyesight.
So what I do is increase the font size. (I only read ebooks).

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
So what I do is increase the font size. (I only read ebooks).
Id turn the brightness down a bit too. Having to strain your eyes to read isnt good (font size as you said) but neither is the light. I find it helps. (Not too dark because then youre straining to read again but not too bright either)

Also i prefer reading book books. Ive tried the ebook thing and for the most part i dont mind it but sometimes my books have maps or sometimes i like to go back and check things and thats more difficult with an ebook i find. Ive also tried audio but my brain just blanks it out and i have no idea whays going on so i have to reread it several times.

B

BlankUser

Mage
Apr 24, 2021
I prefer listening. Because reading takes too much effort and then my OCD interrupts everything. But listening gives me some comfort.

Reactions: lobster salad
western_heart

western_heart

trying to save ourself
May 23, 2021
I like listening, especially when it's the author narrating their own book. But I haven't played an audiobook in years, I used to on long drives or on quiet walks. I'm rarely alone now and if I do listen to spoken word, it's a podcast while I take a bath or do chores.

When I read I do so on my Kindle. I read an average of 2 books a year, sadly

nolongerhuman

nolongerhuman

Arcanist
Feb 9, 2021
I listen to things when I'm doing some menial task and don't really need to remember most of what was being said. When I want read for fun and understanding I read a physical book. Virtual books don't do well with my attention span. My hierarchy is physical book > audiobook > kindle book

Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
I love reading, love holding a proper paperback in my hands, the smell, the feel, but I don't have the concentration any more, tend to keep re reading the same lines over and over nothing sinking in, its so frustrating, I miss reading books

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I struggled to concentrate on audiobooks when I tried to get into them. I think they are more suited for people multitasking really like if you are doing chores. If I wanted to read something, I would go for the physical option.

Reactions: demuic
W

whatliesbeyond

Jun 12, 2021
I prefer to personally read, but scrolling via hours of pages fks up my finger, so I resort to Listen.

All Things Must Pass

All Things Must Pass

Mage
Apr 14, 2021
Reading is better because it forces you to be more active.

You could mitigate your eyesight concern by reading outside and staring at a distance every page.