W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
I kept wondering if 2020 could get at worse. With the passing of RBG today, I am more worried than ever about the future of the US. If the Republican-led senate hastily (and hypocritically) pushes through a presidential nominee at this point, the face of the US Supreme Court will be changes for a generation.

Anyway, I will mourn for the future tomorrow. Tonight, I'll mourn the passing of a great American hero.

R.I.P. Notorious R.B.G.

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: BitterlyAlive, not-2-b-the-answer, Kyrok and 5 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'm glad you are mourning her passing instead of the potential political fallout for now. It's only been a few hours since it happened and already I've seen so many people both left and right politicizing the fuck out of the death of this woman who has done so much in her career. I guess me complaining about it doesn't make it any better but I do mourn her passing because she was at the very least, a popular enough face in pop culture.

Hell, even Donald Trump's twitter statement about it shows more class than a lot of the other discourse I've seen. I don't even know or care if he really wrote it or if he actually feels remorse but normally he'd have more...combatant words for the death of someone who hated him yet for now even he hasn't made it political (yet). Maybe I just need to get off Twitter but I just hate all this nonsense meant to further divide.

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
the witch’s lament

the witch’s lament

Sep 5, 2020
rip RBG. what an icon in american politics. I have known of this day for a while now. she has been ill and we can't expect her to live forever.

I don't know what to say. my mother is inconsolable on this, and she is considered older for my generation. she wailed and kept saying "you don't understand." but I do. it gives who I consider a malicious power even more. but I have thought of trump to litigate any outcome of his elections, including those past his terms. I am worried for women's rights and I am worried for the state of the country. but I have been for a while so it is a loss I must further process.

• Love
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed and not-2-b-the-answer
Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
Mcconnell recently issued a statement indicating his intent to confirm a replacement before Trump's end of term. But, it isn't clear if that will be before the election.

I can see Trump's people recommending that they wait until after the election to keep her seat a live issue. Alternatively, they may want her seat filled before the election to decide any challenges in Trump's favor.

This will slightly affect voter turnout, but I'm not sure how much it moves the needle. That may depend on how the battle looks to the public.

• Aww..
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
I'm so embarrassed by all my grammatical errors in the original post! I must have been in quite a state.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. I'm still grieving, tbh. The political state of the nation (and the world, to a broader extent) has weighed on me for several years. This is just one more horrible occurrence. She was one of the few bright lights still shining. It's always sad when those lights go out.

• Love
Reactions: BitterlyAlive