Knight Artorias

Knight Artorias

Carter
Dec 3, 2018
How would you feel if one day you got a random text from some number saying that your entire life and existence doesn't truly exist. It's all a fabrication of your mind. None of this world is even real right now. Not even me, as I type this. You're actually a person who's been committed for life in a mental institution for the murder of your fiancé and parents. Now, you're just using a false reality to cope with the life you lost and the text is just that small shred of acceptance in your sub conscious trying to make you come to terms with what you've done. What if you trying to rationalize that being total nonsense is just your way of hiding the truth sub consciously? You don't even know you're in such denial, it's just gotten to the point of that. And when you accept it at last you wake up in a cushioned room wearing a straight jacket and you're a totally different person. Sorry for such a weird thing to ask lol. I'm bored.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Essie and Weeping Garbage Can
A

ArtsyDrawer

Enlightened
Nov 8, 2018
That sounds like a writing prompt. Lol
Imma write something after work.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can and Knight Artorias
E

Essie

Student
Oct 20, 2018
Decent story if fleshed out, and I am a writer.

I'd feel like crap that I realized it and try to go back to my fake reality. Not the one I currently live, b/c that is worse than the padded room (severe pain and housebound/bedridden 3 years, so similar in the cooped up sense). But the one you mentioned.

Knight Artorias

Knight Artorias

Carter
Dec 3, 2018
Decent story if fleshed out, and I am a writer.

I'd feel like crap that I realized it and try to go back to my fake reality. Not the one I currently live, b/c that is worse than the padded room (severe pain and housebound/bedridden 3 years, so similar in the cooped up sense). But the one you mentioned.
Same here, honestly. If possible I'd just remain in my mental world. It's not real but...Seems like a happier exisence than just rotting away in a hospital until I die.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Weeping Garbage Can
Knight Artorias

Knight Artorias

Carter
Dec 3, 2018
That sounds like a writing prompt. Lol
Imma write something after work.
Really? I just thought of this on the fly lol. I've messed around with writing but I'm not the best at it. If you do make something, please share lol. I'd kinda like to read it.

E

Essie

Student
Oct 20, 2018
Really? I just thought of this on the fly lol. I've messed around with writing but I'm not the best at it. If you do make something, please share lol. I'd kinda like to read it.

I am a professional author and editor of other authors. You should try to write it. You are young, and it is good.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Norest4thewicked, ArtsyDrawer and 2 others
Knight Artorias

Knight Artorias

Carter
Dec 3, 2018
I am a professional author and editor of other authors. You should try to write it. You are young, and it is good.
I'll give it a go tomorrow at school. Thank you for inspiring me to do it. I think I'd like to make it more of a Pyschological Horror type story than anything else. Have the protagonist have horrifying breaks in his own psyche and begin to showcase his deteriorating mental state within his own mind. Not sure. But I'll see what I can forge.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Essie and Weeping Garbage Can
E

Essie

Student
Oct 20, 2018
Watch Fight Club (and there's a book--not as good), Memento, and maybe The Loft (for the mystery aspect). They are similar.

Yes, do what you said. It is good.

Edit to add: that genre is what I sometimes wrote and edited. Though I also added supernatural into mine, as is often in the genre.

Knight Artorias

Knight Artorias

Carter
Dec 3, 2018
Watch Fight Club (and there's a book--not as good), Memento, and maybe The Loft (for the mystery aspect). They are similar.

Yes, do what you said. It is good.
Would it be possible to build up the life the protagonist has before they receive the text? Like, flesh out their false life, friends, family, etc...I feel it'd be more impactful if the readers understood their life more. Maybe make the reader think about it themselves, how they'd react in a similar situation, if their entire exisence wasn't even real. I also just thought of something else? Not sure how it'd work though. What if...The fiancé he murdered appears in his false world? But he has no idea she's dead in reality and he's the one responsible. Maybe she's more of a mysterious haunting figure that he can't undeestnd yet feels a strange pain filled nostalgia towards the prescence of her.

E

Essie

Student
Oct 20, 2018
I somehow missed this post last night--sorry. Did you get started today?

Yes, I absolutely think you must build up the life beforehand. Make it a great life. Then have things start to be amiss. Little clues that later the reader will think back on. Give him problems that link to the actual events that transpired to put him in the mental hospital. One thought that is interesting is that the same thing is happening again, almost, in his psyche. So he is recreating the events that already transpired that cause another break in his psyche. Maybe let the texts support that--somehow link them in so they are not just a person telling him his current life is false, but INDUCING the break in his psyche, and they are the same person that did it in the past to cause all of it to happen in the first place. Then end is that you give him his perfect life back...then he gets that text again (so it is just going to be a never-ending cycle). Just a thought that you can take and improve on. Then it is an odd past-present-future in ONE reality. (You might have to layer and go back or outline first so you can keep it straight in your mind.)

It is a good story--actually very good. If you don't write it, I will, lol! My husband is also an author and thinks the same. You have a good vocabulary and writing style for your age. Definitely write it.

Look into Memento for the way to deal with the fiance (great movie--one of my all-time favorites). It is quite similar. Don't copy, but be inspired and take it further.

You have a lot of options on how to present the story in terms of tense and voice. You can make the construct happen fast (hour/days) or extend it for weeks/months/years if you choose. You can do both, as well, as the book progresses. You can insert flashbacks or flashforwards, but do so sparingly and to push the plot forward.

Also, look at Shutter Island w/ Leonardo Di Caprio, also a book by Dennis Lehane. It is almost the same construct. Identity w/ John Cusack is very similar.

If you want help or someone to look it over, PM me. You'll need to attach it as a file b/c the length won't go through PM. (I don't know how I can make corrections/comments for you that you can easily see and decide to keep/ignore other than in Word. That is how I do it for authors. Otherwise, it will be difficult for you to see what I am referring to and make the changes.)

Psychological thrillers/horrors are hard to write and keep straight in your mind, but just keep at it. I am still working on books after 12 years. You have a good story that is not often done, so take your time and really let it come to life in your mind, esp. after being inspired by the other plots I mentioned. (Or write a first draft, then look at the other stories to add new elements and layers if you think you'll be overwhelmed--everyone is different in how they like to write. I avoid stories of like while writing to prevent muddling mine, but others need that inspiration.)

Last edited:
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
M

MsM3talGamer

Voluntary deletion
Nov 28, 2018
How would you feel if one day you got a random text from some number saying that your entire life and existence doesn't truly exist. It's all a fabrication of your mind. None of this world is even real right now. Not even me, as I type this. You're actually a person who's been committed for life in a mental institution for the murder of your fiancé and parents. Now, you're just using a false reality to cope with the life you lost and the text is just that small shred of acceptance in your sub conscious trying to make you come to terms with what you've done. What if you trying to rationalize that being total nonsense is just your way of hiding the truth sub consciously? You don't even know you're in such denial, it's just gotten to the point of that. And when you accept it at last you wake up in a cushioned room wearing a straight jacket and you're a totally different person. Sorry for such a weird thing to ask lol. I'm bored.

I assume you're into Dark Souls by your username.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Knight Artorias
M

MsM3talGamer

Voluntary deletion
Nov 28, 2018
Correct. I'm playing it right now, actually lmao

Nice! I'm a Soulsborne gamer. I've played DS1 for about 3 years. Bloodborne is amazing if you have a PS4 and ever get the chance to play it!

Knight Artorias

Knight Artorias

Carter
Dec 3, 2018
Nice! I'm a Soulsborne gamer. I've played DS1 for about 3 years. Bloodborne is amazing if you have a PS4 and ever get the chance to play it!
Actually, Bloodborne is my top game along with DS1! I really loved the "horror" design of the game. It suits it well. I liked how we go from fighting normal monsters like werewolves, vampires, witches, etc but then we remove Rom's Veil and see all the lovecraftian horrors hiding. The fast/aggresive combat was nice too. Overall, beautiful game. I'd love something similar in the future.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and MsM3talGamer
M

MsM3talGamer

Voluntary deletion
Nov 28, 2018
Actually, Bloodborne is my top game along with DS1! I really loved the "horror" design of the game. It suits it well. I liked how we go from fighting normal monsters like werewolves, vampires, witches, etc but then we remove Rom's Veil and see all the lovecraftian horrors hiding. The fast/aggresive combat was nice too. Overall, beautiful game. I'd love something similar in the future.

Me too! It's one of my top favourite games. I love the Lovecraftian atmosphere, the design, the gameplay, etc. I struggled a bit with the lack of a shield at first because of the aggressive combat but then I got used to it. Miyazaki designed a masterpiece IMO and I hope there's more to come too. Atm I'm debating whether to play Red Dead Redemption 2 before I CTB.

Knight Artorias

Knight Artorias

Carter
Dec 3, 2018
Me too! It's one of my top favourite games. I love the Lovecraftian atmosphere, the design, the gameplay, etc. I struggled a bit with the lack of a shield at first because of the aggressive combat but then I got used to it. Miyazaki designed a masterpiece IMO and I hope there's more to come too. Atm I'm debating whether to play Red Dead Redemption 2 before I CTB.
I highly recommend playing it beforehand. Good game to end with. I'm gonna play all my favorite games one more time before i CTB personally. They really made life less horrible for me and I'd like to enjoy them one last time.

Reactions: MsM3talGamer and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals