I Can't Say

I Can't Say

Oct 21, 2023
Oh look, my first thread isn't a suicide rant, it's just me whining.

So, yeah, I quit therapy. Or got dropped, I'm not sure. I kind of smarted off at my therapist in e-mail (funny story, but I can't say), and later discovered that our appointment wasn't in the computer anymore. Maybe it was just a glitch? In any case, I haven't tried to restart it.

The thing is, aren't therapists supposed to do... therapy? Shocking revelation. Every one I've seen over the years has just wanted to "check in." Shoot the breeze. They seem to actively deflect me away from talking about what's bothering me, and I get tired of bringing it up.

I keep thinking I should call in and get another appointment. I don't know if I can (or should) try to get a new therapist; my insurance doesn't give me a lot of choices. Maybe tomorrow, though.

Reactions: godsseepiestsoldier and gravesfrommiami
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
A lot of have reached the point where we have exhausted what we could get out of therapy, which may not ever have actually been that much. It's okay if you have too.

• Love
Reactions: bebebeep, Ashu, Hollowman and 1 other person
P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
what has come with wellness culture over the last decade is this idea that therapy is a one-size-fits-all-solution.

therapy isn't for everyone. it sucks that it didn't work out for you and perhaps you can continue to test the waters and find another therapist who will meet your needs.

on the other hand, it's okay to reflect on the experience with therapy over the years as a whole and assess whether it is for you. it's okay if you aren't getting the most out of therapy and it isn't making you feel the way you wanted.

instead, perhaps take a deep dive into other options that could help aid you in recovery. you can still try therapy on the side, but you don't have to continue to use it as a lone solution. no harm in exploring other avenues and seeing what works best for you.

over the years, what started as a way to promote wellness (encouraging talk therapy) has become a weapon to belittle those who don't follow a certain path. in the end, you know yourself best.

regardless, i hope you find what works for you.

Reactions: bebebeep, dogsandcats, Cloud Busting and 3 others
I Can't Say

I Can't Say

Oct 21, 2023
over the years, what started as a way to promote wellness (encouraging talk therapy) has become a weapon to belittle those who don't follow a certain path. in the end, you know yourself best.
IKR. But do I really?
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself – and you are the easiest person to fool." – Richard Feynman​
Isn't that, like, one of the main selling points for therapy? In the end, of course, it's nobody else's problem.

instead, perhaps take a deep dive into other options that could help aid you in recovery. you can still try therapy on the side, but you don't have to continue to use it as a lone solution. no harm in exploring other avenues and seeing what works best for you.
Do you want to elaborate on this? Because I didn't mention, but I've also been on a bunch of different meds, and finally gave up on that a while ago. I had Ketamine pushed to me pretty hard for a while, but my psychiatrist wasn't really on board with that (and they're not letting me switch psychiatrists again). There's ECT and them, but IDK, the memory loss stuff sounds scary. And I've been to several different group sessions, which were nice... for a while.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Reactions: Ashu
Pachy

Pachy

The Unfortunate Son
Oct 19, 2023
Don't bother. These therapist and psychoanalyst are morally bankrupt snakes. don't trust them

Reactions: Ε. Η. R., Ashu, Hollowman and 1 other person
I Can't Say

I Can't Say

Oct 21, 2023
Don't bother. These therapist and psychoanalyst are morally bankrupt snakes. don't trust them
Yeah, I know, I've been psych-warded three times. Gotta do something, though.

P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
IKR. But do I really?
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself – and you are the easiest person to fool." – Richard Feynman​
Isn't that, like, one of the main selling points for therapy? In the end, of course, it's nobody else's problem.

Do you want to elaborate on this? Because I didn't mention, but I've also been on a bunch of different meds, and finally gave up on that a while ago. I had Ketamine pushed to me pretty hard for a while, but my psychiatrist wasn't really on board with that (and they're not letting me switch psychiatrists again). There's ECT and them, but IDK, the memory loss stuff sounds scary. And I've been to several different group sessions, which were nice... for a while.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.
you definitely don't have to.

it's good to hear you've tried a bunch of different meds, but it sucks you haven't found any that have helped you thus far.

i don't have much advice about the different avenues honestly. i'm not as well-versed as others on possible alternatives that could be of help to you.

instead, i want to empathize with the frustrations that you feel, especially when certain treatments like talk therapy or in your case, using Ketamine, is shoved down your throat and if you oppose, you're belittled and made to feel like the problem is you. that isn't fair and it's something many of us continue to deal with due to the growing wellness culture.

it's okay to step back and take a break from it all. again, you know yourself best.

Reactions: Lostandlooking, Ashu and I Can't Say
Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023
Therapy isn't always effective. I knew someone who was dropped by their therapist for not making enough progress.

It's hard to find a good fit. My current therapist is great. I'm lucky because I've had mostly worthless ones. Therapy is also difficult to access if your insurance is limited, and a lot have waiting lists.

Have you tried any other strategies? SaSu is basically therapy for me lol. I like doing workbooks sometimes, and they're cheaper than therapy.

Reactions: bebebeep and I Can't Say
I Can't Say

I Can't Say

Oct 21, 2023
Have you tried any other strategies? SaSu is basically therapy for me lol. I like doing workbooks sometimes, and they're cheaper than therapy.
Feel weird about opening up on here. Other people have real problems. I just keep digging myself in deeper. Oh well, I'm here now, and this is at least better than having purely imagined conversations like I usually do. So thanks for replying.

Workbooks are infuriating. I just want to scream, "this is supposed to help how?"

Sort of feel like I should have a longer list of "other strategies" I've tried, but maybe I'm just playing a role because I decided to post in Recovery and not somewhere else. Do I actually know what's going on in my head, or am I just along for the ride?
it's okay to step back and take a break from it all. again, you know yourself best.
Going to have to do something before too long. Looking at that fourth hospitalization coming up RSN.

Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023
Feel weird about opening up on here. Other people have real problems. I just keep digging myself in deeper.
Everyone has problems. Some people are just better at coping with them than others.

Don't beat yourself up for struggling. That's why we're all here on SaSu. Pain isn't a competition.

Oh well, I'm here now, and this is at least better than having purely imagined conversations like I usually do. So thanks for replying.
That's a cool way of looking at things. 😎

And of course. We're in this shit together.

Sort of feel like I should have a longer list of "other strategies" I've tried, but maybe I'm just playing a role because I decided to post in Recovery and not somewhere else. Do I actually know what's going on in my head, or am I just along for the ride?
There's no right or wrong reason to be in the recovery section as long as you're being polite and respecting people's recovery journey.

Try to not to put so much pressure on yourself. You gotta start somewhere. Recovery is on your own timeline.

I hope you find something that works for you. Are you going to seek another therapist?

• Love
Reactions: Lostandlooking and I Can't Say
I Can't Say

I Can't Say

Oct 21, 2023
I hope you find something that works for you. Are you going to seek another therapist?
My track record at predicting my own actions is not terribly good, and now I have the weekend to obsess over it. Maybe I can get myself to leave a message.

All up and down, incessantly
We're numbering infinity
The sky is filled, we must prepare
Hot air balloons are everywhere
Do not be scared
Do not be scared
Do not be scared

Ok, be scared