• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

What should we do with members who share screenshots?

• Tolerate them.

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • Warn them.

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • Ban them.

Votes: 86 63.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
Hello everyone.

I have a question. As some of you know, there are members of this community who take screenshots of entire threads from the suicide subforum and share them with other boards for laughs and entertainment. I have made this forum private, intentionally, with the goal to shield us from negative attention so these people are essentially bypassing my attempts to protect this community. And I want to know your opinion. Let's say we find out who some of these members are. What should we do with them?

I think taking screenshots of your posts without your consent and sharing them in other boards for the sake of entertainment is not only disrespectful, it also conflicts with the idea that this forum is supposed to be a safe space to talk about your most personal thought and struggles without judgement. They're essentially walking all over the principles of this community that makes it so great in the first place.

I'm curious to hear your responses and I would like to know what the community expects us to do in such case. Thanks.

jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
Progressive warnings. First time, simply a warning. Second time, temporary ban. Third time, longer or permanent ban, depending on how apologetic they are, what they shared, and other behaviour of theirs. But definitely not just tolerate it. A permaban is extreme, but so is more than 2 stern, clear, warnings for the same offense with temporary bans to emphasise the seriousness

krxbs

krxbs

a bleeding heart </3
Jan 24, 2023
i personally think it's worth a ban from the get go. not that i think @jodes2 or anyone who thinks the same as they do is necessarily wrong, but i think it takes a certain kind of maliciousness to go to a place like this where people are at their most vulnerable and parade them around for entertainment. i just can't agree with it.

Bread with milk

Bread with milk

Enlightened
Oct 1, 2020
Frankly having infiltrators here is quite unpleasant, leaking screenshots of people venting or private conversations to "prove a point" is unethical in my opinion. Even if this serves to defend the site, it won't help steer the forum away from the absurd waves of media attention we receive.

I mean, if you are interested in investigating the site, just talk or discuss with staff members, you are free to express a different opinion (after all, not everyone may agree with us), but DO NOT COME TO ATTACK THE PRIVACY OF OTHER MEMBERS

And it bothers me that the member who has been attacked the most is FuneralCry thanks to people who come to take screenshots to make fun of us. Any screenshot they take could be used to attack or simply take out of context, besides being disrespectful. So it's not worth risking the privacy of our community.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Malpractice: NeuroDystrophy-Paralysis-Meds-Injured
Sep 27, 2022
Hello RaS

Please see my recent post below 🙏

Imho — seems to be "Mr YT / Aliases / minions" — for the most part ?

He clearly stated his screenshots plans , while doxxing himself…

You are much appreciated for all the very hard work that you do.

Last edited:
WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

I'm late, i'm late. For a very important date.
Feb 12, 2019
Why would you ban people for breaking a brand new rule?

Reactions: Skathon
Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
Thank you very much for taking the action of making it private. I totally agree that the screenshotting is defeating the purpose of making it private, it being disrespectful, and making things feel less safe.

When (almost) the entire site was public, all of those posts would have been wide open for anyone to see, and that is a thing I kept in mind while posting, and I have never really felt completely "safe" here for that reason. [And, sure enough, I have seen myself on one of the Fixers' Twitter.]

I think if you do make a new rule, it would be best not to have it be retroactive. For the rest of it, I don't think I have a strong opinion at this time. I tend to prefer giving at least one chance, but also I really dislike this new thing happening where KF could essentially end up being an additional mirror or archive of the entire site. Like, I hope they will lose interest pretty soon here, but it seems like anyone visiting their site in the future could take it into their head to come here and get screenshots for the "LOLs."

I'm not sure I've explained my thinking very well. Possibly banning members for screenshotting future public posts would be weird, though?

Anyhow....

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I believe in a two step procedure. First, a stern warning coupled with a "time out", which effectively would be a week, possibly two, of a "temporary" ban, which would be instituted to convey the seriousness that this issue is taken. If it happens a second time, a full, permanent ban would be warranted.

wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
No patience for it. These people knew from grade school that it's a crap move to snatch someone's note to a friend, or their diary, or whatever the hell the e-equivalents are, and go screaming through the playground with it in order to get some points for being slightly cooler than the kid who wrote whatever-it-was.

People older than about 7 have no excuse.

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
I don't think a warning helps since anyone doing that is obviously not here in good faith anyway. I would go straight to ban if it's decided not to be allowed, which would make sense since it's a circumvention of the forum's privacy setting. I actually don't care what outsiders think and whether they want to gawk or laugh at us, but they probably shouldn't be allowed to post if that's their agenda. Ideally the forum could just be public, but I understand there are safety and privacy concerns that prevent that.

epic

epic

Enlightened
Aug 9, 2019
Unless they are doxing, I voted for tolerate them because of free speech. Although I understand why people must have voted for ban or warn . Members are here because they are in a delicate place in their life and want some privacy.

resolutory

resolutory

Experienced
Sep 13, 2022
Is this for taking screenshots and posting them elsewhere specifically for entertainment and to make fun (Didn't know this was going on) or is this for just taking screenshots in general and posting them? For example, the people in the recent KiwiFarms thread about SS that that gave a non-biased explanation on the site to counter other viewpoints, which also included screenshots? Would that be in violation too?

Last edited:
S

Scythe

Lost in a delusion
Sep 5, 2022
I personally think it should be okay for people to share screenshots of the site to people in pms/small group chats after they censor all the usernames. As long as it's not to make fun of people or the site. However if there's a big audience it definity should not be okay and should result in a immediate temporary ban and permanent ban on the second offense. This site have had enough attention and there should be no more.

not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
Honestly... Mixed feelings about this.
If all they are here to do is screen shot to make fun of anyone on here, I think they should be banned.
I wasn't even aware there were other sites our posts were being screen shot. I knew fixthe26 did it and the guy that made the youtube video.
I'm sure prolifers will think we are singling them out. I don't think could change their mind anyway.
I don't know if fixthe26 ever screen shot any of my posts. I really don't care.
If it was with a member I was having a personal conversation with, that would piss me off.
Anything I've posted on the main section usually isn't too personal. Not that I can remember anyway.
Maybe put a new warning on the login page.

WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
Ban. You go on Kiwifarms feeding them info about vulnerable people on this site, there should be no consideration.

If we just warn them or tolerate them, they will just keep poking the bees nest on Kiwifarms and continue to divulge info from this site.

I can't understand why anyone would think doing anything but banning would help.

Infinite Conscious

Infinite Conscious

Experienced
Aug 18, 2020
Can someone explain this to me, please.

Right now there are 160 members and 162 guests online.
There are 6 guests viewing this thread at this moment.
Can't guests, who are not registered, also make screenshots?

I have been away for a year, before that for another year, so I don't know what changed and the forum is made "private", as was mentioned in the comments above.
How exactly is it private if thousands of guests are watching us?
I have some problems with memory, so after a long time of not using the forum, I forgot its name "sanctioned" while the ".org" version was not available.
It took me 1 minute of googling to find it.

How exactly are we private and safe?

As for the question, I would warn them once with a 7 day ban, and the 2nd time full ban. (if it shows that members did it)

U

Unending

-
Nov 5, 2022
My initial thought was that a single warning paired with a temporary ban and then a permanent ban if they repeat the action could be the way to go.

I'm only half awake right now so I'm not sure if there are things I'm not considering but think that even evaluating this issue on a case by case basis (if there are multiple members doing this) could be a good idea potentially.

On the other hand, those who have already done it can get their single warning but moving forward, it could be an instant ban for anyone who continues to do it whether for the first time or otherwise.

wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
I personally think it should be okay for people to share screenshots of the site to people in pms/small group chats after they censor all the usernames. As long as it's not to make fun of people or the site. However if there's a big audience it definity should not be okay and should result in a immediate temporary ban and permanent ban on the second offense. This site have had enough attention and there should be no more.
I could probably deal with the types of reposting you're talking about, but that's asking the site mods to do a lot of shades-of-gray discernment, which is seriously time-consuming work. (There are entire complex lawsuits about whether something is a straight-up, informational quote, or harassment.)

If someone needs to quote us that bad, they can use copy and paste—if for no other reason than that many people remember that copied and pasted text can easily be edited and falsified. So can images, including apparent screenshots, but somehow people tend to forget that.

Or as V.I. Lenin once said: "Yer a wizard, Harry!"
How exactly are we private and safe?
SaSu is definitely not private or safe, but then, neither are any of our houses. Not really. However, most of us lock our windows and doors to make a creep work a bit harder before they can cause us grief. I have no problem with that.

TapeMachine

TapeMachine

perpetually confused
Jan 12, 2023
Right now there are 160 members and 162 guests online.
There are 6 guests viewing this thread at this moment.
Can't guests, who are not registered, also make screenshots?
I'm also confused by this.

Also, I vote immediate ban. It's quite clear that the individuals sharing our conversations (with the intent to belittle and taunt us) don't have any of our best interests in mind.

codedarchaeologist

codedarchaeologist

everybody ends up where the river meets the sea
Jan 21, 2023
I'm also confused by this.

Also, I vote immediate ban. It's quite clear that the individuals sharing our conversations (with the intent to belittle and taunt us) don't have any of our best interests in mind.
This. It's not something you'd do as a mistake, or because you didn't know better - it's inherently malicious. There's no point in giving warnings when the person definitely knew what they were doing.

TransMagical

TransMagical

Volo ergo sum
Feb 10, 2023
Hello everyone.

I have a question. As some of you know, there are members of this community who take screenshots of entire threads from the suicide subforum and share them with other boards for laughs and entertainment. I have made this forum private, intentionally, with the goal to shield us from negative attention so these people are essentially bypassing my attempts to protect this community. And I want to know your opinion. Let's say we find out who some of these members are. What should we do with them?

I think taking screenshots of your posts without your consent and sharing them in other boards for the sake of entertainment is not only disrespectful, it also conflicts with the idea that this forum is supposed to be a safe space to talk about your most personal thought and struggles without judgement. They're essentially walking all over the principles of this community that makes it so great in the first place.

I'm curious to hear your responses and I would like to know what the community expects us to do in such case. Thanks.
I think we should ban them. But I dont think making the forum private is the way to go, instead I think till you sign up properly you cant; see goodbye posts and methods, and users/profiles will be randomized and censored. I know its not the best idea in the world that I gave but I think it could help abit.

starvhmb6

starvhmb6

Mar 6, 2023
Hello everyone.

im extremely late, but DEFINITELY a ban.

ImsooDone1N

ImsooDone1N

Arcanist
Nov 22, 2018
Yes, its a major violation of privacy. This is one of the best things about the forum I've always loved. The fact that it is really a private place from the rest of the world to talk to, hear from and converse with the rare very, very few people who, unfortunately can understand my feelings pain and suffering, etc.. because they are also suffering so badly as well. I feel like its completely disgusting to take a screen shot of such a special, private place... and then worse share it for malicious reasons, oh fuck no.. I would be really upset & think that it is a very serious offense.