Spiral

Spiral

Experienced
Jan 22, 2021
i have tested MDMA extensively and I can tell you it was awesome :pfff:but I had it when I wanted to party not sure i want to feel like that when im sad and it can also cause blackouts. Not sure if tripping ballz will be the answer to our health problems but it will certainly spice things up a bit

• Love
Reactions: Lostandlooking and Amumu
EmbraceOfTheVoid

EmbraceOfTheVoid

Part Time NEET - Full Time Suicidal
Mar 29, 2020
i have tested MDMA extensively and I can tell you it was awesome :pfff:but I had it when I wanted to party not sure i want to feel like that when im sad and it can also cause blackouts. Not sure if tripping ballz will be the answer to our health problems but it will certainly spice things up a bit
It's suppose to help reestablish a sense of safety for people who are traumatized. Whether it actually has permanent effects towards that goal is anyones guess. It's too bad I can't use my insurance for MDMA; at the very least it would provide temporary relief.

• Hugs
Reactions: Spiral and muffin222
M

Moonomyth

Student
Feb 6, 2020
As others have noted, it's a system that is a little powerless in the face of enduring circumstances that lead to serious mental illness. My ctb attempt was a death of despair brought about by overwhelming debt and an apparent inability to ever escape it. I did not call the hotline for the sake of an emotional crisis, but to seek significant financial resources.

I received a stay in a psych ward for my trouble. It didn't help. Getting a windfall bailout of my most pressing debts and a stable, salaried job did. I was lucky; given that, I can't imagine how much more difficult that is for minority groups for whom oppressive circumstances are inescapable, and I can't imagine what psychiatric treatment can do that a systemic overhaul of society couldn't do better.

That said, if there are people here willing to self-diagnose by going to the current DSM* and identifying symptoms, and they are able to find value in that, then we have to acknowledge some merit to the fields. It would be contradictory to scorn psychiatry with the left hand and use the other to look up your issues in a source document of the field with the other.

*Not that the DSM isn't also driven by social and systemic concerns, which is why being gay is no longer a mental illness in the book.

• Love
Reactions: Lostandlooking, notreallynow, Emily_Numb and 1 other person

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
This is totally over the top. You may have had issues with psychiatrists but to issue a threat like that is just uncalled for.
I can see your angry but maybe don't post on a public forum if you're not happy to get different opinions? This isn't an echo chamber.
It seems to me that both sides were expressing themselves aggressively, but the posts with open aggression get deleted while the covert and subtle ones remain untouched. As if, it's okay to shit on people as long as you don't make it too obvious.

Reactions: TheSomebody and Spiral
Emily_Numb

Emily_Numb

Wizard
Jan 14, 2020
Believe it or not, but there are similarities between sleeping pills and shrooms.
That's why sleeping pills can bring about hallucinations for some people.

As for K, it remains a very toxic substance. It's used for horses, actually.
Don't believe substances are better because they aren't mainstream.

Same for MDMA. (I didn't even know it was used.)
Studies are necessary, though.
As someone who has studied numerous papers on psychedelics your statement about K is totally without reallife experience. IV Ketamine therapy saved my life. It's a truly remarkable treatment.

Also MDMA & Psilocybin have incredible real world Used and are being used across the world for both addictions and psychological problems. you do realise these are medical grade extractions right? Not just some sticky, cut bag of Mandy they are buying off the streets.

Psychedelics are the most exciting and ground breaking area of psychology right now. But sure, be dismissive and just complain some more.
Can you cite your source for the correlation between between sleeping pills and psilocybin? I'd be interested to understand that further. Most compounds of the planet share some shared molecules. I'm not really sure what you are getting at.
For one, psilocybin isn't physically addictive like sleeping tablets so there's that for a start in terms of safety.

• Wow
Reactions: LastFlowers
EmbraceOfTheVoid

EmbraceOfTheVoid

Mar 29, 2020
As someone who has studied numerous papers on psychedelics your statement about K is totally without reallife experience. IV Ketamine therapy saved my life. It's a truly remarkable treatment.

Also MDMA & Psilocybin have incredible real world Used and are being used across the world for both addictions and psychological problems. you do realise these are medical grade extractions right? Not just some sticky, cut bag of Mandy they are buying off the streets.

Psychedelics are the most exciting and ground breaking area of psychology right now. But sure, be dismissive and just complain some more.
Can you cite your source for the correlation between between sleeping pills and psilocybin? I'd be interested to understand that further. Most compounds of the planet share some shared molecules. I'm not really sure what you are getting at.
For one, psilocybin isn't physically addictive like sleeping tablets so there's that for a start in terms of safety.

Psilocybin is not a safe miracle drug like you're suggesting; this is coming from someone that spent a year looking over various threads on the Depersonalization/Derealization subreddit full of drug users that had their DP/DR symptoms triggered by it, marijuana, or other hallucinogenic drugs. Some people even suffered psychotic breaks and I'd personally never try psilocybin because it'd likely exacerbate whatever repressed trauma lies underneath.

I also took several hundred sleeping pills a decade ago as part of my first suicide attempt and I was hallucinating all kinds of water ripples in my surroundings.

• Love
Reactions: LastFlowers and Amumu
Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020

Why be so aggressive? I'm not saying these substances can't help, I'm saying they are toxic.

"Just complain some more" Why are you on this forum if you can't stand people who complain about their problems?

I'm not dismissive. You are.

Last edited:
Reactions: LastFlowers and Spiral
Emily_Numb

Emily_Numb

Wizard
Jan 14, 2020
Psilocybin is not a safe miracle drug like you're suggesting; this is coming from someone that spent a year looking over various threads on the Depersonalization/Derealization subreddit full of drug users that had their DP/DR symptoms triggered by it, marijuana, or other hallucinogenic drugs. Some people even suffered psychotic breaks and I'd personally never try psilocybin because it'd likely exacerbate whatever repressed trauma lies underneath.

I also took several hundred sleeping pills a decade ago as part of my first suicide attempt and I was hallucinating all kinds of water ripples in my surroundings.
People simply don't respect the drugs they are messing with, take too high a dose, too regularly and not in a medical setting.

You hallucinated because you overdosed on sleeping pills!!! Absolutely nothing at all to do with psychedelics or even relatable. That's like saying all food is the same because you put it in your mouth. *smh*

Reactions: Moonomyth
Catlovergirl

Catlovergirl

Shan32- Suicide is only for the brave.
Oct 24, 2020
Psychology has nothing to do with Psychiatry. One is a bachelor degree of 3 years the other is a medical specialty that in most countries require 11-12 years of studies plus the extra training to get the accreditation for psychotherapy cognitive behavioral therapy etc.
The amount of bulshit in this thread is breathtaking.
First of all you dont understand the basic difference between psychology and psychiatry. Imagine how ignorant you are.
Yes mental disorders are not cured at the moment but there has been some progress compared to the past where most of you in this thread would have been tied down on a bed, burned on a stake, exorcised by some priest-shaman or received lobotomy. Ketamine is promising for MDD. Genetic mapping will point out which parts of the neurotransmitter/neuroreceptor process is damaged. Some drugs have saved peoples' lives. CBT has helped some others.
If you are dissappointed by the healthcare of your country regarding mental disease, it says little about the substance or not of a science or a medical specialty.
If you have a bad therapist, it also says little. Find a new one.
You are welcome to seek professional help from a priest, a shaman, a life coach, a spiritual reiki healer, a yogi, a cult leader or any other spiritual individual that has not step a foot at a university or opened a book in their lives.

''You are welcome to seek professional help from a priest, a shaman, a life coach, a spiritual reiki healer, a yogi, a cult leader or any other spiritual individual that has not step a foot at a university or opened a book in their lives.''

I started going for that route and all I can say is that because I too have been down the seeing psychiatrists route and in the end it still never resolved my underlying root causes. So I'm going for reiki now and makes a difference for me emotionally and mentally and physically and after that I'm going to go for another form of holistic therapy.

Reactions: taylor321
EmbraceOfTheVoid

EmbraceOfTheVoid

Mar 29, 2020
People simply don't respect the drugs they are messing with, take too high a dose, too regularly and not in a medical setting.

You hallucinated because you overdosed on sleeping pills!!! Absolutely nothing at all to do with psychedelics or even relatable. That's like saying all food is the same because you put it in your mouth. *smh*

Right, because these drugs will be perfectly safe if they are administered by a "trained professional" that knows exactly what they are doing. As @KuriGohan&Kamehameha said earlier in the thread; we don't even know how Aspirin works and trying to push the idea that some hallucinogenic drugs are safe because you read a few research papers that can be skewed to fit a certain narrative does not make them safe. I will always choose skepticism, people's personal experiences and my own for whatever snake oil is pushed as the next cure all.

Sleeping pills were related because they are generic OTC medication that can cause hallucinations and have the potential to still harm someone. Your quest to find solutions to your problems does not change the fact that psychedelics can cause full blown psychosis despite having the potential to promote neuroplasticity. Next you'll be telling me that you'll get your money's worth by buying Caveman Powder from Alex Jones. See, I can be passive aggressive too!

If you don't like people's criticism or skepticism of Psychiatry and Big Pharma on this thread then you're free to post elsewhere. Have a go in the recovery section perhaps?

Last edited:
Reactions: LastFlowers, TheSomebody, Amumu and 1 other person
Emily_Numb

Emily_Numb

Wizard
Jan 14, 2020
Right, because these drugs will be perfectly safe if they are administered by a "trained professional" that knows exactly what they are doing. As @KuriGohan&Kamehameha said earlier in the thread; we don't even know how Aspirin works and trying to push the idea that some hallucinogenic drugs are safe because you read a few research papers that can be skewed to fit a certain narrative does not make them safe. I will always choose skepticism, people's personal experiences and my own for whatever snake oil is pushed as the next cure all.

Sleeping pills were related because they are generic OTC medication that can cause hallucinations and have the potential to still harm someone. Your quest to find solutions to your problems does not change the fact that psychedelics can cause full blown psychosis despite having the potential to promote neuroplasticity. Next you'll be telling me that you'll get your money's worth by buying Caveman Powder from Alex Jones. See, I can be passive aggressive too!

If you don't like people's criticism or skepticism of Psychiatry and Big Pharma on this thread then you're free to post elsewhere. Have a go in the recovery section perhaps?
I'll comment on what I please. It's a public forum. I won't be told where I am able to post thanks very much.

EmbraceOfTheVoid

EmbraceOfTheVoid

Mar 29, 2020
I'll comment on what I please. It's a public forum. I won't be told where I am able to post thanks very much.

"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily; and why older persons, especially if vain or important, cannot learn at all." ―Thomas Szasz

Reactions: LastFlowers, demuic, TheSomebody and 2 others
Emily_Numb

Emily_Numb

Wizard
Jan 14, 2020
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily; and why older persons, especially if vain or important, cannot learn at all." ―Thomas Szasz
*eyeroll*

Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
exactly.
of course we should encourage a healthy amount of skepticism while also understanding there can be benefits at the same time.
psychology is ever-evolving, and I feel it best to both question things as well as utilize what is individually beneficial.
I'm by no means saying psychiatry or medicine is a solution, same goes for talk sessions. these things require criticism in order to evolve and better serve those in need. and of course, each person as a patient will have different needs.
there are still inherent problematic traits within psychology and psychiatry, and it is of course important that we voice the concerns we have. that doesn't mean we cannot simultaneously benefit to varying degrees.
and I do love some of the points @KuriGohan&Kamehameha brought up- we must remain critical in order to foster growth within these communities and their approaches. there have absolutely been improvements made, but we deserve better still. and things do not change when the target audience remains complacent.
there is a lot to consider on this topic, and much to be improved upon.
I meant no disrespect in my initial response, I do realize it likely sounded abrasive to some. to give some context to my response, I've been both benefiting and put through the wringer for about a decade from these communities and their approaches. it is absolutely a complex subject and what helps me may harm another and vice versa. what I had hoped the take-away from my initial response would be was that such an individualized need of course requires an equally individualized solution. there is no possible way to promote or advise against these communities as no two people will react exactly alike.

edit-- also want to add that in my experience, questioning everything within talk sessions and psychiatric settings is generally helpful as a patient. question why the therapist or psychiatrist is using the approach they are. research your medications and potential diagnoses. do not blindly accept or deny any of it. do your own research and be upfront about concerns, questions, and any disbelief you might have.
then again, doing just that has in past had me labeled as 'difficult' to treat. so, as with everything, proceed with caution and try to assess personal risk as best as possible.

"research your medications and potential diagnoses. do not blindly accept or deny any of it. do your own research and be upfront about concerns, questions, and any disbelief you might have.
then again, doing just that has in past had me labeled as 'difficult' to treat. so, as with everything, proceed with caution and try to assess personal risk as best as possible."

Amen to this. I have been diagnosed OCPD with rigidity and perfectionism by my psychiatrist(s) for taking this very approach.

Since I refuse to roll over and blindly accept med cocktails, it has to be some sort of mental abnormality. Right?

The fascinating aspect is that I had no idea I had this diagnosis, as it was snuck into my psych file some where along the line unbeknownst to me. My last psychiatrist disclosed it was in my file, during our initial session. Surprise!

I recently decided to obtain my file from the psychiatrist immediately before my last psychiatrist, and in my file, for every session, my psychiatrist is noting OCPD with ridgity and perfectionism. I've no idea if this was in my file from a previous psychiatrist, as my approach was consistent back then, but regardless no one ever told me. To this day, I struggle to understand why I wasn't told; I couldn't care less about it; and, it's a nothing diagnosis compared to the others.

When my last psychiatrist broke the news to me, he informed me that he liked working with people with this diagnosis, because they are motivated to help themselves.

Leave it to the field of psychiatry to diagnose a mental illness for some one like myself, who has elected to educate himself and take responsibility for the decision making process for the treatments provided. Anyone on this forum, who heard my back story and learned how the medical profession failed me, back when I blindly followed everything the doctors told me, would understand why I'm now "OCPD with ridgity and perfectionism".

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: LastFlowers, Lostandlooking, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 2 others
sourpink

sourpink

Student
Aug 27, 2020
"research your medications and potential diagnoses. do not blindly accept or deny any of it. do your own research and be upfront about concerns, questions, and any disbelief you might have.
then again, doing just that has in past had me labeled as 'difficult' to treat. so, as with everything, proceed with caution and try to assess personal risk as best as possible."

Amen to this. I have been diagnosed OPCD with rigidity and perfectionism by my psychiatrist(s) for taking this very approach.

Since I refuse to roll over and blindly accept med cocktails, it has to be some sort of mental abnormality. Right?

The fascinating aspect is that I had no idea I had this diagnosis, as it was snuck into my psych file some where along the line unbeknownst to me. My last psychiatrist disclosed it was in my file, during our initial session. Surprise!

I recently decided to obtain my file from the psychiatrist immediately before my last psychiatrist, and in my file, for every session, my psychiatrist is noting OPCD with ridgity and perfectionism. I've no idea if this was in my file from a previous psychiatrist, as my approach was consistent back then, but regardless no one ever told me. To this day, I struggle to understand why I wasn't told; I couldn't care less about it; and, it's a nothing diagnosis compared to the others.

When my last psychiatrist broke the news to me, he informed me that he liked working with people with this diagnosis, because they are motivated to help themselves.

Leave it to the field of psychiatry to diagnose a mental illness for some one like myself, who has elected to educate himself and take responsibility for the decision making process for the treatments provided. Anyone on this forum, who heard my back story and learned how the medical profession failed me, back when I blindly followed everything the doctors told me, would understand why I'm now "OPCD with ridgity and perfectionism".
yeah, they don't like it when we try to obtain any information outside of what they provide, their biases included.
I don't have OCPD, but I'm close to someone with that dx among others.
it often feels like a balancing act. you don't want to be seen as combative or 'too difficult' but it is indeed important to educate yourself on whatever diagnoses you may be given and realistic potential outcomes of any medication prescribed. if it (a dx or a script) feels less than fitting, bringing that up to discuss shouldn't result in any penalties. it's infuriating that the expectation on the patient is to be compliant and often somewhat ignorant to the details of one's own dx, lest we be labeled 'difficult'.

edit- so I had tried to reply to this comment, and kept getting error responses like it hadn't posted. and then my internet went wonky and I couldn't even get back to ss to see and fix this! sorry!

• Love
Reactions: LastFlowers, Lostandlooking, BandAddict and 1 other person
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
yeah, they don't like it when we try to obtain any information outside of what they provide, their biases included.
I don't have OCPD, but I'm close to someone with that dx among others.
it often feels like a balancing act. you don't want to be seen as combative or 'too difficult' but it is indeed important to educate yourself on whatever diagnoses you may be given and realistic potential outcomes of any medication prescribed. if it (a dx or a script) feels less than fitting, bringing that up to discuss shouldn't result in any penalties. it's infuriating that the expectation on the patient is to be compliant and often somewhat ignorant to the details of one's own dx, lest we be labeled 'difficult'.

edit- so I had tried to reply to this comment, and kept getting error responses like it hadn't posted. and then my internet went wonky and I couldn't even get back to ss to see and fix this! sorry!

It's such a nothing diagnosis to me that I don't even have the proper abbreviation for it. Ha. In fact, I forgot what the diagnosis even was, (it was disclosed to me in 2017) and after scanning the DSM 5 it didn't prompt my memory, and thus, this led to me picking up my psych file, so I could refresh my memory. The mere fact that I forgot the OCPD diagnosis would probably led to another diagnosis, if my psychiatrist were to become aware. Sarcasm?

The mere fact that I've gone back just now to edit my oversight to correct the abbreviation would probably underscore the condition, if I were to ask my psychiatrist. Can't win.

Reactions: LastFlowers, sourpink and Spitfire
Spiral

Spiral

Experienced
Jan 22, 2021
I think you'd need to ask the people who tried to ctb with it.
Oh, my bad. I thought you were referring to an earlier post in this thread about how anti inflammatory drugs (asprin and ibuprofen) might be used to treat depression since its and inflammatory disease.
To ctb with them would take a LOT. I tried when i was 16 with 4 packets of ibuprofen, a 6 pack of cider and a litre of vodka. It didn't even make a dent in my life, i just felt really cold and drowsy and drunk and then i had a nap and woke up hungover but fine. I didnt even vomit. I think i have a high tolerance for substances anyway, but i think if i wanted to successfully ctb with asprins i would need maybe 50 boxes. There is definately an easier way.

M

Moonomyth

Student
Feb 6, 2020
Yeah it's not a great method, I agree. My comment was more about the claims that the foundations of modern psychiatry and medicine are shaky because we don't even know how aspirin works. But we do. There are other over-the-counter painkillers we don't fully understand, like acetaminophen, and I can see how that would get mixed up with aspirin.

Medicine tends to prescribe first and figure out why it works and how it's got harmful secondary effects later, but that doesn't mean it's a field devoid of knowledge. Not unless you want to go in hard on postmodern epistemology or similar.

Spiral

Spiral

Experienced
Jan 22, 2021
I think people just get fed up with it because when we compare the quality of mental health care to almost every other field of medicine it looks like a joke. Its only very recently that its widely accepted and taken seriously even though its still barely understood. Its also really frustrating when they tell me i have a chemical imbalance in my brain when they have never given me any kind of tests or seen my brain. If i walked up to a man i had never seen before in my life and told him he had a small penis it would be outrageous and a wild guess and nobody would believe me. Why can people prescribe me potentially harmful medication when they have put in the same amount of effort into finding out what is wrong with me as playing 'guess the penis size' like at least take some blood from me and see if they find anything unusual so im actually getting real healthcare xD

• Love
Reactions: LastFlowers, 262653, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 2 others
EmbraceOfTheVoid

EmbraceOfTheVoid

Mar 29, 2020
Its also really frustrating when they tell me i have a chemical imbalance in my brain when they have never given me any kind of tests or seen my brain.

The problem lies in them always insinuating that your "imbalance" is caused by genetics or a physical brain abnormality. I'm sure that many of the people here have a chemical composition that deviates from whatever is considered the norm but that's because of their life experiences. It's normal to be angry, tense, sad, emotionally withdrawn, etc if someone abused you in your childhood; that isn't a abnormality. Having drugs thrown at you to suppress your feelings to the detriment of your longterm health does not actually address the original problems which are horrific life experiences and can also be other forms of trauma not limited to abuse.

I do however agree that they have no way of quantifying what is "wrong" with someone other than just playing a guessing game.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: LastFlowers, Lostandlooking, 262653 and 3 others
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
As others have said, Psychiatry and Psychology are different. Psychiatrists can prescribe medication, while Psychologists are only lisenced to practice therapy and offer ways of coping that do not involve pharmaceutical intervention.

However, these two specialisms come from the same side of the coin when it comes to the fact that both of them are entrenched in the concept of diseases originating in "the mind".

There is an article floating out there somewhere about why Psychiatrists resist merging with Neurology, they seem to distance themselves from the idea of purely physical, somatic ailments causing someone to have a distressed mental state, I suppose because research is incredibly lacking in regards to mental ailments.

Likewise, many psychiatrists and psychologists seem to neglect very important environmental and socioeconomic factors that would rationally make a person depressed, scared, miserable, and anxious. I find it akin to scolding a person who recoils when they touch a hot stove. Your brain's natural response is to send out signals of pain in response to the damaging stimuli that has just burned the skin, you can't really control that reaction.

When people who are poor, alone disabled, underemployed or unemployed, marginalized, being abused, neglected, and so on and so forth seek assistance from the mental health industry, a lot of them are told they are ill and are either medicated unnecessarily or forced into things like CBT which tells them their negative feelings are cognitive distortions. When feeling awful and depressed in those situations is a completely natural response. If your environment is godawful, it is hard to delude yourself and pretend everything is peachy instead.

So instead of giving those people tangible help that would improve the mental anguish caused by their circumstances, or simply trying to provide symptom relief for things like lethargy, panic attacks, and loss of appetite, we tell them they are diseased. There is a serious lack of pragmatic help in these fields. People who need human connections aren't given opportunities for developing social skills besides their artificial interactions with the therapist. The impoverished aren't being given financial assistance. The unemployed aren't being given references and assistance with gaining employment.

I do believe medications and therapies have their place in some situations. I lived with a violent schizophrenic, who absolutely needed to be on a low dosage of Antipsychotics or else everyone in the family would be continually tormented by them. People who are violent or having extreme hallucinations do need pharmaceuticals to manage their conditions in the majority of cases. Likewise, Lithium can be helpful to some bipolar people. Yet, I think SSRIs are handed out like candy, and rarely alleviate the problem because the efficacy seems to be marginally higher than a placebo. A good number of serotonin receptors are in the GI tract, so I got nothing out of those medications except further illness.

Also, psychiatry truly lacks reliable diagnostic tools and relies on very subjective criteria. There are no blood tests, no scans, no biopsies, and things like the DSMV are often far too broad and speculative. I was seeing many different psychiatrists from age 13 to 20 and it took 6 years for them to order a laboratory test for me.

By then it was too late, I've had neuropathy for years now and it was very likely kickstarted by the fact I had dangerously low vitamin b12 levels for years and no general doctor or psychiatrist would give me a blood test, insisting my symptoms were psychosomatic.

Sure, these disciplines are not lobotomizing people anymore or locking women in prisons for disobeying their husbands under the guise that this behavior was lunacy and insanity.

However there are still human rights abuses going on every day in psychiatric wards. People being put in restraints because they're suicidal, forced drugging and physical exams that can traunatize a vunerable person, gaslighting, verbal abuse, the list goes on and on. We should strive to criticise psychology and pyschiatry to improve them, not shrug our shoulders and say, "well at least we aren't living in the barbaric times of lobotomies anymore!"

People airing their grievances against these professions on this forum doesn't mean that you personally have to stop engaging with these services or question their benefit to you, especially not if you've improved with voluntary therapy or psych meds and whatnot.

This discussion is not about those who personally benefited from psychiatry or psychology and thus see no issue with it, it is about the people who are receiving subpar, lackluster, un-scientific, and quite frankly, shitty care. Individuals who want things to change, and want to push for better treatments, diagnostic criteria, and services aren't going to impede someone from accessing things like talk therapy and SSRIs if they personally want those options for themselves and find them helpful.

But when it seems like the entire world does nothing but victim blame those who got no results from these things, and insists that it is a deficit of willpower and desire to change, that is the problem. Telling people they need to keep throwing out money to try a million different therapists is appalling. If you sent a plumber out to fix a leaky pipe and he couldn't do it, you wouldn't have to call 30 different plumbers to get the job done, would you? So why don't we hold counselors to the same standards?

I get that the science hasn't progressed far enough to understand complex cognitive processes and abnormalities. I am studying a Neuroscience degree, and I know how very little we actually know about things. Yet, we shouldn't put people in harms way and subject them to invalidation and gaslighting because of this. I blame stoicism for creating this falsehood that one can be in total control of their every thought and emotion. Sometimes, most of the time actually, that isn't the case. My severe ptsd isn't going away after reading some self help books about loving yourself.

You can't treat a malfunction of the fight or flight response with self help and mindfulness mantras. Neither can you fix derelict living conditions by popping a handful of pills. This is the dichotomy that psychiatry and psychology have plagued themselves with.

You aren't stupid for being skeptical of these things.

I agree completely.

The vitriol toward those who dare question the psychological or psychiatric establishment even on this forum is astounding, and speaks deeply to the amount of gaslighting and brainwashing that has gone on in general society in regards to those two areas.

Reactions: LastFlowers, Lostandlooking and KuriGohan&Kamehameha
Lupgevif

Lupgevif

Jul 23, 2020
As if religion wasn't just another money generating machine full of mental manipulation in order to keep controlling people. I was taking this post seriously until you recommended people to see a priest or a rabid or a hymen,

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha
M

Moonomyth

Student
Feb 6, 2020
I don't feel particularly vitriolic about it. As I said earlier, I've had my own experiences where the mental health profession diagnosed my problems as a chemical imbalance rather than my material circumstances. I just don't see any point in tossing out entire fields of medical study and practice because of flaws in its current state. I think a lot of the problems with it come from the same systemic issues that cause people to have deaths of despair.

Reactions: BandAddict and Spiral