• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

M

MBG

Experienced
Jul 14, 2023
(1) Improve physical health by (a) eating proteins and complex carbohydrates, and (b) cardiovascular exercise: 3 to 5x per week, 30 minutes each time getting your pulse >120 beats per minute. Slowly work up to this over months if you're out of shape. Group exercise classes (spin bikes, various dance like classes, running club) are best because they naturally add socialization to the benefits.

(2) Use Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT), by regular (daily) positive self talk in front of a mirror. Say that you are a good person who deserves love and happiness, who is diligent in their studies and career and thus deserves to succeed. Encourage yourself and uplift your spirits for a few minutes whenever you catch your internal dialogue knocking you down.

These will NOT help with schizophrenia or bipolar disorders. Get your doctor's approval first.

Last edited:
dragonofenvy

dragonofenvy

Mage
Oct 8, 2023
The problem most people are going to have is finding the motivation to do so.

He's right that it does improve mood, but it's not necessarily going to solve things like your social anxiety, PTSD, hatred of your job, a toxic relationship causing problems, etc. by itself. This is something you do in addition to a treatment plan for improvements and to allow yourself to get out of a depressed headspace for a bit to really, truly, think about your situation without as much negativity.

Last edited:
M

MBG

Experienced
Jul 14, 2023
I've edited the OP to add things I forgot like: Group exercise classes (spin bikes, various dance like classes, running club) are best because they naturally add socialization to the benefits.

The psychiatrist does not claim it is a panacea, a cure all for everything that ails everyone. But rather that it will help about 3/4 of his patients as well as anything else he can do.

On my own I discovered how much better I feel (less stress, longer, deeper, more refreshing sleep, more regular bowel movements), when I do treadmill if I sweat for at least 20 minutes (plus 5 min warm up and 5 min cool down). Stress, anxiety and depression just melt away with the sweat. YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Last edited:
Reactions: dragonofenvy