niloc

niloc

Relax — This won't hurt
May 6, 2020
Over the course of last year, the company I work for has been acquired. The incoming company has a large department that covers what I do and I slowly see myself getting pushed out.

I expect to fully be out of a job in 6 months. I have no skills any longer after being in an industry for over 24 years. I need to get out and or put an end to my suffering. I had extremely strong urges 2 years ago and a few efforts to end things.. Those urges are back and the prospect of job loss is ramping up my mind.

It's 3:59 am right now and I just needed to speak.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: western_heart, Rational man, makethepainstop and 3 others
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
I have no skills any longer after being in an industry for over 24 years.
I don't get it; wouldn't you be able to get a job in the same industry from a different employer?

niloc

niloc

Relax — This won't hurt
May 6, 2020
I don't get it; wouldn't you be able to get a job in the same industry from a different employer?
I'd like to think so, but I'm so behind where I should be that it would be probably months to even find another job. I can't exist that long as I have no savings or other means to survive without a job.

Yes I realize it all sounds stupid and silly.

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
I'd like to think so, but I'm so behind where I should be that it would be probably months to even find another job. I can't exist that long as I have no savings or other means to survive without a job.

Yes I realize it all sounds stupid and silly.
It doesn't sound stupid and silly to me. You did say that you had some months before losing this job, is it not possible to start trying to find something during that time?

N

Night_Crew

Oct 23, 2021
I'm sorry this is happening to you. If by chance you are in the UK, if made redundant, you would be entitled to redundancy pay. Although company redundancy pay is often paid at a higher rate, statutory redundancy pay does exist: https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-rights/redundancy-pay

You may be feeling that you cannot get another job, either internally or elsewhere but please stay strong and if need be, start applying if the need arises.

niloc

niloc

Relax — This won't hurt
May 6, 2020
I'm sorry this is happening to you. If by chance you are in the UK, if made redundant, you would be entitled to redundancy pay. Although company redundancy pay is often paid at a higher rate, statutory redundancy pay does exist: https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-rights/redundancy-pay

You may be feeling that you cannot get another job, either internally or elsewhere but please stay strong and if need be, start applying if the need arises.
Not in UK.. I am going to have to start to look at other jobs but I'm not sure I'm strong enough mentally right now to even start.. The fear and anxiety are nearly constant and all I focus on. There's no way I could stomach hours a day applying and rejection.

• Hugs
Reactions: Julgran
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
Over the course of last year, the company I work for has been acquired. The incoming company has a large department that covers what I do and I slowly see myself getting pushed out.

I expect to fully be out of a job in 6 months. I have no skills any longer after being in an industry for over 24 years. I need to get out and or put an end to my suffering. I had extremely strong urges 2 years ago and a few efforts to end things.. Those urges are back and the prospect of job loss is ramping up my mind.

It's 3:59 am right now and I just needed to speak.
Any possibility of seeking employment in a similar industry?

C

CowsAreCool

Student
Sep 21, 2021
When faced with huge anxiety and potentially life changing events, I usually just buy ice cream and lay in bed and watch movies. It helps temporarily.

The key is to let go. What's going to happen to you is going to happen. There isn't much you can do about it. And you always have options and ways out. So relax and take it slow. Sometimes changes in life, although really hard, solve a lot a problems you didn't even know you had.

1000winds

1000winds

Student
Jul 24, 2022
not having a job is one of my reasons for ctb. i can totally relate. i dont want to leech off anyone anymore. i never wanted to depend on anyone in the first place. i'm sorry life has brought you down this road.

N

Night_Crew

Oct 23, 2021
Not in UK.. I am going to have to start to look at other jobs but I'm not sure I'm strong enough mentally right now to even start.. The fear and anxiety are nearly constant and all I focus on. There's no way I could stomach hours a day applying and rejection.
I'm sorry you're going through this. If it helps (a big if), you can send me/'us' on this site a copy of an anonymised CV to look through and make suggestions on... I really hope that you do not need to find another job though.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Feel in a very similar boat to you and it's sinking. I've been doing a creative freelance job the past 4 years but I know in my heart that it isn't sustainable. It's so difficult to find a permanent job in my field. Like you, my 'skills' are kind of specific. I'm utterly dreading the prospect of having to get some shit job again. My work is my life (pathetically) and while it hasn't felt all that great recently even with work, I know it will get so much worse if I have to quite. It probably is one of the main reasons I want out.

I really hope your employer hangs onto you. Keeping everything crossed for you. 🤞🤞

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
That sounds really tiring and stressful, and it must be awful dealing with so much anxiety. Life does just seem to be endless misery and I'm sorry that you are trapped in this situation. I wish you relief.