• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

bigj75

bigj75

“From Knowledge springs power."
Sep 1, 2018
Maybe I'm paranoid but I think that some prolifers might be trying to purposely spread misinformation about suicide methods, something along the lines of "I've tried method X but it was very painful, don't do this" or "I tried X but it didn't work".

I mean just look how much misinformation there is about hanging, people claim that you will slowly asphyxiate for minutes while being fully aware of what's happening. They say it's painful and terrifying and will only be quick if you break your neck and so on...
#tinfoilhat

This is true.

Sayo

Sayo

Not 2B
Aug 22, 2018
Maybe I'm paranoid but I think that some prolifers might be trying to purposely spread misinformation about suicide methods, something along the lines of "I've tried method X but it was very painful, don't do this" or "I tried X but it didn't work".

I mean just look how much misinformation there is about hanging, people claim that you will slowly asphyxiate for minutes while being fully aware of what's happening. They say it's painful and terrifying and will only be quick if you break your neck and so on...
#tinfoilhat
I was thinking about posting this too. I see it often on Quora, the attempts to provide exaggerated terrifying information that was entirely unsolicited. Now if a person is obviously looking for a dignified death I believe strongly in telling them the truth and correcting any misconceptions. But a popular strategy on Quora is to inundate the obviously suicidal with graphic fearmongering, much of which is really dubious and unrelated to their original question.

A question about drowning time might get a poorly sourced and terrifying response about consciousness after decapitation in the French revolution (real example). So I would not be surprised if while many of these failure stories are by people who are glad they failed since they turned their lives around or whatever and the truth, many are fabrications or exaggerations. It serves as a good reminder to do one's own research rather than just reading sites like that.

Quora has good SEO too and these questions get plastered in ads for the suicide hotline, so I'm sure these people feel that by posting misinformation about consciousness they're doing a good deed. It's pretty sick, since a real effect is to make the questioner feel trapped and consider risky methods out of desperation.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deleted_9cKnXB34QG and RM5998
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
I was thinking about posting this too. I see it often on Quora, the attempts to provide exaggerated terrifying information that was entirely unsolicited. Now if a person is obviously looking for a dignified death I believe strongly in telling them the truth and correcting any misconceptions. But a popular strategy on Quora is to inundate the obviously suicidal with graphic fearmongering, much of which is really dubious and unrelated to their original question.

A question about drowning time might get a poorly sourced and terrifying response about consciousness after decapitation in the French revolution (real example). So I would not be surprised if while many of these failure stories are by people who are glad they failed since they turned their lives around or whatever and the truth, many are fabrications or exaggerations. It serves as a good reminder to do one's own research rather than just reading sites like that.

Quora has good SEO too and these questions get plastered in ads for the suicide hotline, so I'm sure these people feel that by posting misinformation about consciousness they're doing a good deed. It's pretty sick, since a real effect is to make the questioner feel trapped and consider risky methods out of desperation.

Agreed. There's a lot of answers that post about how bad it'll look when you hang yourself, how drowning takes a few minutes of conscious pain to kill you, and so on. It's positively sickening, and leads to people trying out more grisly methods like opening an artery, which somehow only gets dissuaded under the pain header. And the confidence people have in saying that they care and are there for people who are suicidal despite how little they know about the idea is maddening.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Deleted_9cKnXB34QG and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
M

midastic

Student
Sep 1, 2018
Agreed. There's a lot of answers that post about how bad it'll look when you hang yourself, how drowning takes a few minutes of conscious pain to kill you, and so on. It's positively sickening, and leads to people trying out more grisly methods like opening an artery, which somehow only gets dissuaded under the pain header. And the confidence people have in saying that they care and are there for people who are suicidal despite how little they know about the idea is maddening.

I remember a question on Quora that asked what is a painless way to die and one of the pro lifers made an answer saying that you can't die without pain. I probably wouldn't have given the answer to that question but it annoyed me a lot because it made me more desperate to just CTB due to how toxic pro lifers can be. I would say a good chunk of suicides are due to pro lifers.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, RM5998 and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals