• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

voyager

voyager

Don't you dare go hollow...
Nov 25, 2019
Hey guys,

We've lost quite a few members recently, so I thought it might be a nice idea to have an additional GB or alternative codeword (CTB?) prefix for these occasions to give them the spotlight they deserve. The other night three people ctb simultaneously and yet many weren't even aware of this until the next day. Depending on the wording in the thread title some posts may go under. There's at least one thread were a member got a mere twelve replies in five hours, none in the latter three of those. Surely that shouldn't happen considering the gravity of the situation. Anyway, would appreciate it if you'd consider it. Thanks.

Thereisnothing

Thereisnothing

Enlightened
Jan 4, 2020
@voyager I think this is a lovely idea and would be a good thing to do. Sadly I wasn't aware of the situations as they happened with those we lost until afterwards and I dont like to think of that. Even if we cant change someones plan it is important I feel that as many of us are made aware of these 'acute/active/ times so we can all support best we can. I was very low empty and sad indeed when read we had lost those souls in succession and still feel that way of course.
I personally dont like CTB name we all use it freely in our posts, I think be good idea to have a couple more code words in use say for those who are at that moment say 'actively' making an attempt and one for those who are so very desperate to call out to us. I am actually surprised we dont have more code words than we do to be honest.

voyager

voyager

Nov 25, 2019
Felt kinda overwhelmed at first, couldn't make sense of who A, D, J, N, P, SN et al were. The thing about this idea is that another member said they might not make a goodbye thread, because they felt like a nobody in real life and didn't want it reaffirmed here. He/she was probably just teasing, but some of us probably do feel this way and the thought of leaving here without all the comfort we could muster saddens me.

Thereisnothing

Thereisnothing

Enlightened
Jan 4, 2020
I feel everyone needs to know they are cared about, you are correct we feel noone does in the real world so why should it be different here. The aim of this place is to be there for one another and for me that is important for every member at whatever stage they are at. Not forgetting a great deal halt their plans at the end when they have had feedback and more idea's to think through or just knowing someone is caring about them can make a whole difference. I do hope that we can get some code words or initials going to alert us. How often do moderators view posts I wonder to latch onto these ideas? Could we start them up and then would soon start circulating. We all know what CTB means so we'd soon catch on the other terms.

sleepy dog

sleepy dog

Wizard
Sep 13, 2019
I think most members are not posting goodbye threads for responses. They are posting to add to information about their method so others can benefit.

Reactions: Azzy69 and voyager
thelastchicken

thelastchicken

Dec 26, 2019
I fullheartedly support the idea. But beginning to ponder over what words or expressions could be used, I immediately stumbled upon a difficulty: some people prefer a hint of humour or sarcasm, especially when it's about their own death, and would probably loathe to use a romantic or neutral or serious term, and would then not use any prefix at all (back to square one with the issue), while others would like something more elegant and could find anything less than empathetic to be insulting.

Maybe the prefix should be a special character or a set of such characters, and not a word, so as to not direct anyhow the mood of the thread, which should be entirely up to the person who is leaving.

Last edited:
voyager

voyager

Nov 25, 2019
Thereisnothing, unless I'm missing something here (legal liability?), I think the mods... nvm, they'll just say their piece if they have to.

Fair enough, sleepy dog. But considering our most common method is known to everyone I'm not sure I agree, but even if it were so, there are people who do want to say goodbye, so, really there no's harm, right? And like all other prefixes it's still up to the user to put one up or not.

Yeah, thelastchicken, that's a neat idea. It could function like the spoiler insert, a highlight tag with a fixed colour, but with a custom text from the member involved.

J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
I would suggest a new "top level" category.....
I would deliberately try to word it in a "subtle" plus "open-ended" way.....

So with the addition, the top level categories would become :

Suicide Discussion​
Share with the community any thoughts or feelings you may have, and ask those questions you can't ask anywhere else.​
Recovery​
Receive support, help others in need, form partnerships to get better, or just spend some time breathing in positivity.​
Goodbye​
Let others know you're thinking of leaving, whether that be temporarily, permanently, or in-between/not sure.​
Offtopic​
Let off some steam, talk about music, games, your day, or anything that comes to mind.​

This should make it fairly easy to not miss people's goodbye threads....

Last edited:
voyager

voyager

Nov 25, 2019
That's a nice idea. Personally I'd rather see the threads in the suicide section, because that's where they've always been and some of us don't constantly switch to the general overview. But, of course, that's just me and open to debate. I do like the idea though. Some members once suggested a memorial wall, an archive section of goodbye threads could serve such a purpose.

J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
That's a nice idea. Personally I'd rather see the threads in the suicide section, because that's where they've always been and some of us don't constantly switch to the general overview. But, of course, that's just me and open to debate. I do like the idea though. Some members once suggested a memorial wall, an archive section of goodbye threads could serve such a purpose.
But how does that solve the problem of potentially missing people's goodbye threads ?

Reactions: voyager
voyager

voyager

Nov 25, 2019
I think the colour tags are easily recognisable, but I'm not sure how broad the colour palette is.

PS: Maybe the mods have some tricks up their sleeve to give some extra attention to these threads.

Reactions: thelastchicken
J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
I think the colour tags are easily recognisable, but I'm not sure how broad the colour palette is.
But if many other threads are being updated then a goodbye thread that hasn't been bumped for 4 or 5 hours may slip back onto page 2, and many people may not view page 2, so goodbye threads can get "lost in the noise".

Having a new top level category is one possible solution / improvement.

Reactions: voyager
voyager

voyager

Nov 25, 2019
Agree. Just checked the suicide section, maybe there could be a sub category under the sticky threads for this purpose or maybe a link to the new section?

R

realjunes

Warlock
Oct 1, 2019
However you big brains figure this out, I think it is an excellent idea. I have missed so-called goodbye threads because their title did not grab my attention in that way, or it was so far down on the thread list I never got there to read it. As suggested add to this the complication of different time zones around the world and it is a difficult issue.
I like the idea of a top line category of "goodbye". It is easy to see on the first page one sees on SS, and you will know to check it. These members who are willing to put their posts deserve a top category colored spot, a place to leave their farewell notice and thoughts, when they may have no other place in the world to do so. And as their community, we need a place to see them, recognize them and share with them our love and compassion. It is an important suggestion and an organized way to stay on top, where this belongs.
I find these goodbyes so important to the membership and our "teacher" members who give us a glimpse into their reckoning, as they permit us the privilege of keeping company, all of us together, and with communication back and forth in the most somber and important moments in our friends' lives. I want to as often as I can be there to experience such moments
Thank you @voyager for this idea, and to make the point, I frankly may have missed this suggestion from @voyager, if he had not put the word GOODBYE in his title, case in point.

I appreciate @voyager for posting this very good idea, and even his/her suggestion thread could have been missed had he/she not put the word "GOODBYE" in his/her title.

Last edited:
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I think this is a good idea. This way the people who posted their goodbyes are able to be remembered and also having another subsection with goodbye threads means it is easier to see them than to have it mixed in with all the other topics/threads.

voyager

voyager

Nov 25, 2019
I have missed so-called goodbye threads because their title did not grab my attention in that way, or it was so far down on the thread list I never got there to read it. As suggested add to this the complication of different time zones around the world and it is a difficult issue.

I agree, and to be quite honest here I would've never checked Stan's Sinatra thread (has anyone seen Jean these days?) on the sole basis of the title. It's only when the thread kept building that I finally clicked on it and realised what was actually going on. This could go awry with similarly named titles by less prominent members of the board (basically most of us), but it's something we can fix.

Just want to say something on the codes, I suggested them because I thought the mods might be more comfortable with it to delude the outside world to what is happening. If they don't mind though, goodbye in capitals or a customised text with a highlighted colour is certainly a better idea. Maybe even a soothing colour transition.

Thank you @voyager for this idea
Thank you, I'm glad the responses have been so positive. But actually this has been mentioned before. Guess what happened to the thread... :hihi:
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/mods-goodbye-prefix.19568/

Reactions: realjunes