• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

M

musicislife

Student
Jun 15, 2018
Of course say committed suicide this article is a load of old bollox !!!

Before my brother Jeff died by suicide, I never thought about the language used to talk about suicide. Immediately following his death and for a long time after, I was in shock, so the terms used to describe how he died mattered little to me. But as time passes and the shock subsides, I've discovered that I bristle each time I hear the expression "committed" suicide. Historically, in the United States and beyond, the act of suicide was deemed a crime. Until as recently as 1963, six states still considered attempted suicide a criminal act. This is so insanely absurd to me that I'm not going to expend any more energy on the history of the topic but if you're interested, here's a link.

Thankfully laws have changed, but our language has not. And the residue of shame associated with the committal of a genuine crime remains attached to suicide. My brother did not commit a crime. He resorted to suicide, which he perceived, in his unwell mind, to be the only possible solution to his tremendous suffering. If I was telling you about a friend or loved one who actually did commit a crime, chances are I'd feel at least a little embarrassment or shame on behalf of that person. But I don't feel even the tiniest bit of shame about how Jeff died. Of course, I wish with every fiber of my being we'd been able to successfully help Jeff and that he was alive today. But shame, nope, I don't feel that about my brother. I focus on how proud I am of who he was in his life – passionate, thoughtful beyond words, brilliant, determined and braver than most people I know for enduring his pain as long as he did. Yes, Jeff Freeman was a brave, brave man. As is any person who grapples with deep emotional distress day after day, year after year.

So to say that someone "committed" suicide feels offensive to me, and I'm not easily offended. The offense is in the inaccuracy. With that said, I don't judge people for using this expression – until August 17, 2007, I did the same. But now I don't. And I humbly ask that you consider the same. When you have occasion to talk about suicide, please try to refer to someone dying by suicide.

By shifting our language around suicide, we have the power to reduce some of the massive shame carried by survivors of suicide. If you feel scared or helpless about what to say to someone who's lost someone to suicide, take comfort in knowing that, by changing your language about suicide, you're offering a countercultural act of kindness. It might seem small but the interpersonal and political impact is nothing but huge.

• Love
Reactions: Wrennie, Pen>Sword, nw7 and 20 others
R

ReleaseMe

I know it's over And it never really began
May 26, 2018
Thank you for pointing that out it's terrible how language still attributes guilt to suicide. Out of curiosity, is there another verb you can use with the word 'suicide'?
In German some people proposed "Freitod" (voluntary death, but literally translating to "free death") as an alternative noun. Even that is hard to use because there is no proper fitting verb.

Yes, dying by suicide is better. Still not referring to the action itself

Reactions: tearsinrain, Tiburcio, Revan and 1 other person
L

Ln42

Ihm/iai
Jun 13, 2018
We are told at work to say........" he/she completed suicide. "

Reactions: tearsinrain, Revan, Smilla and 3 others
W

WanderingEremite

Jul 16, 2018
It seems best to just recognize a verb form of "suicide." So, for example, "The man suicided."

Reactions: nw7, tearsinrain, Tiburcio and 1 other person
agreement

agreement

Mage
Mar 26, 2018
I've used it sometimes, English isn't my language and sometimes I rely too much on Reverso Context

Reactions: Tiburcio
ge0rge

ge0rge

the satanic mechanic
Jul 29, 2018
I very respectfully 100% fully unabashedly am of the direct opposite opinion from the OP, but I think I understand the sentiment. I find it interesting the way language affects its users depending on their lived experience.

Reactions: RainAndSadness, BurningLights and Tiburcio
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
In my suicide note I plan to simply say "I have ended my life". I don't like the phrase "committed suicide" for the reasons you state, and I don't like "I have killed myself" because while true technically the word "kill" bothers me. Except when my vicious golden retriever tries to "kill" me :).

I think that "he/she ended their life" is the most gentle way of communicating a suicide.

Reactions: nw7, ReleaseMe, tearsinrain and 4 others
agreement

agreement

Mage
Mar 26, 2018
"take their own life" would work too, also in my language.
I like it even better "ended" but it wouldn't work translated in my country.

Reactions: nw7, tearsinrain, Tiburcio and 3 others
M

Mecha Man

Experienced
Jul 16, 2018
I don't know, I've committed acts of philanthropy many times in the past. Does that sound bad? ; D

Reactions: lv-gras and ReleaseMe
PatKat

PatKat

Meh
Aug 9, 2018
I agree 100% my note will say ""My life has ended."

Reactions: lv-gras
D

Deleted member 847

In romanian we say "el s-a sinucis" (he did suicide/he "suicided" :)))

Reactions: WanderingEremite, Smilla, ReleaseMe and 3 others
M

Mecha Man

Experienced
Jul 16, 2018
In romanian we say "el s-a sinucis" (he did suicide/he "suicided" :)))

I believe it would be about the same in Japanese, except it would be reversed: Suicide, I did : D

Or, maybe more like: Myself, I killed.

Reactions: Wrennie, ReleaseMe, Tiburcio and 1 other person
D

Dip

Student
Jul 27, 2018
I agree 100% my note will say ""My life has ended."

Or if you want to be marginally more popular you could say "My watch has ended" ^^

Reactions: Smilla, Tiburcio, lv-gras and 1 other person
S

Ssname

Experienced
Jun 30, 2018
I agree with not using the word "commit". That implies something that is not true. To me saying "took my life" or "ended my life" feels more appropriate.

Reactions: Smilla, Comatose11 and lv-gras
T

Tiburcio

I didn't read the post, but it seems important.

Reactions: Comatose11, ReleaseMe, lv-gras and 1 other person
M

Morning Angel

Useless Broken Wings
Aug 8, 2018
I like the term "self euthanasia."

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrennie, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and mattwitt
mattwitt

mattwitt

# 978
Jun 28, 2018