sufferingalways

sufferingalways

Avoiding flashing images, epilepsy.
Apr 26, 2020
Hello forum people this is a request for all people help me please

I try my best to avoid flashing images because I have epilepsy

Sadly someone I enjoy messaging withhave a fast flashing avatar so I can't see anything when it's in my view.

This is a request for everyones help please and I hope it help other disabled people suffering with this illness.

Pleas if you post to my wall could you avoid flashing, moving or any bright white avatars so I can actually see what's there?

If there's any on the threads I have to scroll fast past it until we have a suppress gifs option - which I would find very helpful.

I am triggered into a fit easily so I would appreciate any help
I can then message more people. <3

Luv and strength.
SA

• Hugs
Reactions: Makko, Callie Arcale, 262653 and 3 others
F

foxdie

Got my ticket
Aug 18, 2020
It may also be helpful for people to post flashy gifs in spoiler tags. I will try to do so from now on.

Reactions: sufferingalways, Skathon and ohhgeeitsme
ohhgeeitsme

ohhgeeitsme

Wizard
Feb 5, 2020
I'm sorry you have to deal with that.
I dealt with temporal lobe seizures for about 17 years but I was lucky enough that flashing lights never bothered me. The main two triggers were the sun and looking at a computer screen for too long, but it was mostly just random, especially toward the end. Then they just stopped and I haven't had one in two or three years.

• Hugs
Reactions: Callie Arcale and foxdie
sufferingalways

sufferingalways

Avoiding flashing images, epilepsy.
Apr 26, 2020
It may also be helpful for people to post flashy gifs in spoiler tags. I will try to do so from now on.
Hello foxdie thank you for your kind reply. That would be a great help ;)

@ohgeeitsme I'm sorry you had that too, and thank you for your kind words.

That's interesting. What happened to stop your seizures? Anything that you can remember?

@Burzolog I will have a look at my settings as I'm using Firefox for mobile. Just one snag for turning off images, it helps me to have a visual for people's tag names. I'll see if there's option there, thanks! (Prayer hands)

Hugs and strength
SA

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: _Minsk, ohhgeeitsme, Callie Arcale and 2 others
ohhgeeitsme

ohhgeeitsme

Wizard
Feb 5, 2020
@ohgeeitsme I'm sorry you had that too, and thank you for your kind words.

That's interesting. What happened to stop your seizures? Anything that you can remember?

At the time, I attributed it to the keto diet because that's when they went away and keto is known to reduce or stop seizures, but when I stopped the diet, they still never came back so I don't really know. Even though I've been off keto for two years now, I've still kept a pretty low to moderate carb intake for the most part. I've read that with temporal lobe epilepsy, it's not at all uncommon for people to just grow out of it and I have a feeling that's probably what happened in my case. Probably nothing I did and my brain just finally set itself straight.

Those seizures were something else though. I honestly think that a lot of people who genuinely believe they are psychic or having premonitions from God are really just having focal seizures because it really does feel like that, at least with some TLE. For me, I would get this horribly intense feeling of Déjà rêvé, which is like Déjà vu (which is what most people experience with TLE), but with dreams instead of actual events. It was like I was suddenly living something I had dreamt far in the past. I'd get serious hazy, tunnel vision and the images of the dream would cloud my actual vision and I'd start hearing distant chatter or what sounded like a sports game or news broadcast on a radio in the background. Terrible panic, heart racing, clammy skin, and the sensations are so hard to describe but it felt very similar to a really bad acid trip. It was like someone drugged you with something that only lasted a few seconds to a minute, although it feels like eternity. Every time one occured, I would always freak out and think it was never going to end. Then I just felt terrible and out of it for a while after. But the whole thing really does feel like a premonition. Crazy feeling. When it's over, I can't remember what the dream was but I always remember thinking it was something super mundane.

• Love
Reactions: sufferingalways