N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
David Foster Wallace on perfectionism:

"You know, the whole thing about perfectionism — The perfectionism is very dangerous, because of course if your fidelity to perfectionism is too high, you never do anything. Because doing anything results in … It's actually kind of tragic because it means you sacrifice how gorgeous and perfect it is in your head for what it really is."

I can relate to this a lot. If I am doing stuff for college or in the past for school I was really obsessed by being perfect. It was one reason for my psychosis. It was a real burden.
I have learned to lessen my expectations a little bit. Still I am torturing me a lot in order to create a certain impression in the minds of other people. Often my aim is to be perceived as really smart which is really hard if you are as dumb as me. I spend a lot of energy in doing that.

I struggle to give me breaks. But it is a necessity in order to stay somewhat stable. The pressure I am doing to myself is inhuman and I need to try to treat me better. I made some progress but I still torture me similarly as what my mom did to me when I was a child.

For me perfectionism is really dangerous. For my mental health as well as for my perspectives to get a job. I have a lot of OCD concerning this topic.

I am sure I am not the only one in this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: binturong
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
this is how i feel. everything has to be perfect or else someone is going to notice and say something/judge it (having bpd makes this worse. god forbid theres rejection). ill look at other people and go "omg how can you go out like that, id freak. thats why i dont go out" or "how is that acceptable, theres a mistake RIGHT THERE!!" even though theyre really minor things i probably shouldnt be worrying about

Reactions: Unicornsrnot4dislife and houseofleaves