Spatula
Feb 2, 2020
That's why comedy is dead.

Reactions: MoreThanAFeeling, woxihuanni, Myforevercharlie and 7 others
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
There's a lot of truth is what you are saying. But comedy is not dead. Just look at politics. The greatest comedians ever putting on a show every day to the great diversion of the spectators.

Encore! Applause!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Huntfish34, Lethe, Lost in a Dream and 3 others
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Why, oh, why, did I click on it? You'd think it'd know better than that by now :pfff:
You are quite right, though. It's on topic.

Reactions: highlyvolatile, Lost in a Dream and Deleted member 1465
O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
It's also an excuse people use to be terrible. Shifting the blame to the victim and people who won't tolerate poor behavior. I've heard "You can't give offense...only take it" and this is nonsense. People give offense all the time and the people who do it are usually ones who lose their minds if anyone offends THEM. Being decent is not complicated. At some point in the last decade decent behavior has been labeled as "SJW" and "wrong" and weaponized by people who want to spread misery. In return you get some people who react to that in intense and over the top ways for sure, but it's not most and it's not an invalidation of the problem. Bad behavior doesn't stop being mad because someone loses their mind over it. Not being able to tell bigoted jokes etc isn't opression. It's society catching up with human decency. If that upsets you then your values might be the root problem...not the reaction to them. I laugh at funny stuff...bigotry and spite isn't funny.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: deadpixels, highlyvolatile, pole and 4 others
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
It's also an excuse people use to be terrible. Shifting the blame to the victim and people who won't tolerate poor behavior. I've heard "You can't give offense...only take it" and this is nonsense. People give offense all the time and the people who do it are usually ones who lose their minds if anyone offends THEM. Being decent is not complicated. At some point in the last decade decent behavior has been labeled as "SJW" and "wrong" and weaponized by people who want to spread misery. In return you get some people who react to that in intense and over the top ways for sure, but it's not most and it's not an invalidation of the problem. Bad behavior doesn't stop being mad because someone loses their mind over it.

It's a jungle out there :mmm:

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
It's also an excuse people use to be terrible. Shifting the blame to the victim and people who won't tolerate poor behavior. I've heard "You can't give offense...only take it" and this is nonsense. People give offense all the time and the people who do it are usually ones who lose their minds if anyone offends THEM. Being decent is not complicated. At some point in the last decade decent behavior has been labeled as "SJW" and "wrong" and weaponized by people who want to spread misery. In return you get some people who react to that in intense and over the top ways for sure, but it's not most and it's not an invalidation of the problem. Bad behavior doesn't stop being mad because someone loses their mind over it. Not being able to tell bigoted jokes etc isn't opression. It's society catching up with human decency. If that upsets you then your values might be the root problem...not the reaction to them. I laugh at funny stuff...bigotry and spite isn't funny.
I can see that. When I was a schoolkid calling someone 'gay' was used to insult them. There was rampant and accepted homophobia. I realise it still exists, but these days most people don't even think twice about it, which is great.
I was watching Neighbours the other day (okay I watch it everyday). There's a gay couple on there. There's no 'gay couple storylines' though (if that makes sense). They are a couple like any other. Acceptance without any effort to accept.
This mainstream media actually influences people. When I worked on the paper there was still a lot of schoolyard homophobic banter. Now I wouldn't consider that funny let alone partake in it. I know what offence it can cause even if it is meant innocently.
I think there's still a place for some tongued in cheek humour though that takes the piss out of itself. But we are catching up and humour is correspondingly getting more complex.
I still laugh at Carry On films though, I can't help it.:ohh:
Why, oh, why, did I click on it? You'd think it'd know better than that by now :pfff:
You are quite right, though. It's on topic.
I do believe that was the finest link this particular potato has ever posted.

Reactions: highlyvolatile and Epsilon0
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
@Underscore

How exactly do you pill a potato? :ahhha:

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
@Underscore

How exactly do you pill a potato? :ahhha:
Huh? Carefully? I'm missing something. Don't make me repost the dilated potatogif gif again. You know I'll do it :blarg:

• Love
Reactions: Epsilon0 and Oyoy
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Huh? Carefully? I'm missing something. Don't make me repost the dilated potatogif gif again. You know I'll do it :blarg:

My joke was so bad, it (nevermind, I'm just gonna walk away...)

The joke was "pill" instead of "peel".

• Love
Reactions: Oyoy
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Oh you mean like this...
D95C614419074862

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Love
Reactions: MissStarr, Deleted member 14573, Huntfish34 and 4 others
Lethe

Lethe

Fey
Sep 19, 2019
There's a lot of truth is what you are saying. But comedy is not dead. Just look at politics. The greatest comedians ever putting on a show every day to the great diversion of the spectators.

Encore! Applause!

You're right, comedy is all around us. You just need the eyes to see.

Reactions: Epsilon0
P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
i don't think anyone can say this and put this any better honestly.

my thoughts exactly.

• Love
Reactions: Huntfish34
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
It's become that everything is racist or misogynist though when it isn't. The real issue is hatred and it only takes a few to ruin it for everyone. Now everyone reacts without stopping to think. I'm not sure they actually care or it's all just appearances. Getting offended on behalf of people who aren't offended themselves. What the heck is that? If it hits a personal trigger that's not really anybodys fault. I think not giving a shit is for the best until it's something you should give a shit about and what those things are sometimes has me shaking my head

• Love
Reactions: Huntfish34, Oyoy and Ame
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
You can make money out of outrage culture. Feels like the value of diversity of opinion has got lost along the way.

• Love
Reactions: Skathon, a_strange_day, Oyoy and 1 other person
Beautiful_Disgrace

Beautiful_Disgrace

Invisible shadow
Mar 8, 2020
Black female here.

I grew up using 4chan back when it was a complete cesspool. I used the internet back when it was acceptable to use homophobic and racist words. So I suppose I'm a bit desensitized to things like that.

I have lost a lot of interest in forums and the internet in general ever since we began the PC culture. People were a lot more interesting when they were more vocal, I guess. Not saying I love racists or sexists. But like, I kind of miss that dark humor people used to have. Now it seems like everyone is afraid to joke, and now the only people who use those words are the actual bigots...

I think everyone should be able to laugh at themselves. Providing a safe space online is impossible for everyone. But that's just my 2 cents.

• Love
Reactions: Huntfish34, highlyvolatile, Oyoy and 1 other person
Mr2005

Mr2005

Sep 25, 2018
The PC culture feels as fake as all this pro life stuff. I wouldn't mind if people actually cared but it's the insincerity of it all. On the flipside a lot of the people who complain about it do just want an excuse to be horrible so I dunno. Intent is everything but misunderstanding is everywhere.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Oyoy and Beautiful_Disgrace
Oyoy

Oyoy

Spatula
Feb 2, 2020
People are having less sex and humor is shamed out of us. Humans communicate more then ever and our words are treated like a minefield where saying something wrong is more offensive then not living like a human.

• Hugs
Reactions: Beautiful_Disgrace and Mr2005
Beautiful_Disgrace

Beautiful_Disgrace

Invisible shadow
Mar 8, 2020
People are having less sex and humor is shamed out of us. Humans communicate more then ever and our words are treated like a minefield where saying something wrong is more offensive then not living like a human.
The sex thing is a shame. I am attracted to men who are aggressive, but now they're too scared to be. Society has deemed it "Toxic Masculinity" and witch hunt these individuals.

• Love
Mr2005

Mr2005

Sep 25, 2018
I think it's because we're not allowed to be who we are that hate starts bubbling under. I'm not a creep because I find a woman attractive and I'm not a racist for not liking rap music

• Love
Reactions: woxihuanni, Beautiful_Disgrace and Oyoy
I

It'llNeverEnd

Mar 1, 2020
It's become that everything is racist or misogynist though when it isn't. The real issue is hatred and it only takes a few to ruin it for everyone. Now everyone reacts without stopping to think. I'm not sure they actually care or it's all just appearances. Getting offended on behalf of people who aren't offended themselves. What the heck is that? If it hits a personal trigger that's not really anybodys fault. I think not giving a shit is for the best until it's something you should give a shit about and what those things are sometimes has me shaking my head
I think most of this is people talking from what they know. They may know black culture, so they talk bout that. Maybe people need to broaden their horizons more.

Reactions: Mr2005
Mr2005

Mr2005

Sep 25, 2018
^
Definitely. To borrow your username for a second it'll never end if people don't start looking at things from others perspectives and put their immediate emotional response to one side for a second but they have to want to. I often get the impression peoples problem isn't what they're making it out to be

Beautiful_Disgrace

Beautiful_Disgrace

Invisible shadow
Mar 8, 2020
It's definitely not just race either. Sexuality had become the new minority.

but yes, I don't feel like I can be myself on the internet anymore which is sad. I know I'm not a racist or a homophobe. But the internet wouldn't believe that if I actually posted things I wanted to post.

• Love
Reactions: Oyoy and Mr2005
waterbottleman

waterbottleman

Not a person
Sep 30, 2019
It's definitely not just race either. Sexuality had become the new minority.

but yes, I don't feel like I can be myself on the internet anymore which is sad. I know I'm not a racist or a homophobe. But the internet wouldn't believe that if I actually posted things I wanted to post.

I could be wrong but I think the relevant meme here is "we live in a society" lol.

• Love
Reactions: Beautiful_Disgrace
I

It'llNeverEnd

Mar 1, 2020
I fit most the minorities, so you think I'd have places to go and talk on the good 'ol internet, but it's all echo chambers repeating the same shit

waterbottleman

waterbottleman

Not a person
Sep 30, 2019
I fit most the minorities, so you think I'd have places to go and talk on the good 'ol internet, but it's all echo chambers repeating the same shit

Yeah that's why this is the only place where I actually talk online anymore.

I sometimes make YouTube comments but they're always silly/dumb comments.

Mr2005

Mr2005

Sep 25, 2018
Everyone's seeking approval from people they don't care about. That more than anything is what drives them. I'd say that's more of an issue than any of what they decide that they're outraged by that day

Last edited:
Beautiful_Disgrace

Beautiful_Disgrace

Invisible shadow
Mar 8, 2020
That's what it is man. Everyone is expected to think and act the same, and say the same stuff. That's why the internet isn't fun anymore.

• Love
Reactions: Oyoy and Mr2005
I

It'llNeverEnd

Mar 1, 2020
we have figured out the internet girls and boys

• Love