• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

kilowatt

kilowatt

A gun is the greatest negociator
Sep 9, 2023
Recently I've been getting more and more stimulated over small things. Although I have dealt with this before, it was never this severe. I don't only feel overstimulated when I'm upset, many times it's just because I'm excited or stressed, but my brain's response to it is to damage everything around me in order to tone down my emotions. I am autistic and I've never got the chance to get treated or view a therapist for more than a month at a time so I would really appreciate some help. Sometimes I can get away with only flapping my hands or breaking a few pencils, but sometimes I get intense urges to harm myself or my surroundings, that being said it gets out of control easily.
The meds I take don't have an immediate effect so they do not help in these situations. I can't feel it coming and it can last up to an hour. I wouldn't call them meltdowns or attacks but they aren't far off.
I would really appreciate any tips on how to deal with overwhelming and overstimulating situations, I'm willing to try anything!

Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

Life is a mirror, but "whose" mirror?
Mar 23, 2023
I sometimes get stuck with my feelings, but naming and understanding them can ease it.

Attachments

• 170768_emotion-wheel-11.2019-web.jpg
    170768_emotion-wheel-11.2019-web.jpg
    792.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 170769_emotion-wheel-positive-affect-lo-res-11.2019.jpg
    170769_emotion-wheel-positive-affect-lo-res-11.2019.jpg
    746.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
cgrtt.brns

cgrtt.brns

wandering ghost (he/him)
Apr 19, 2023
sry my brains not in a place where i can word things properly so im just gonna list some things i can think of that might be useful.
carry smthn with you that you can break or punch like a cushion/plushy or a bunch of paper to tear up or some kind of fidget toy, or if you cant carry them with you have a special place for them that you can retreat to.
try noting down the kinds of situations that cause you to end up overstimulated and either avoid them or if you cant avoid them prepare for overstimulation/give yourself regular breaks/find the right accomodations for you (noise cancelling headphones, fidget toys, sunglasses etc.).
take some time every now and then to get all your energy out/stim or relax/self soothe, if your getting overstimulated a lot more than usual it may be bc you have a lot of pent up emotions/stress that need to be funneled into smthn like a hobby, exercise, meditation etc.

just a couple things i could think of that i sometimes find helpful. they may not work for you but i hope you can find something that does.

• Love
Reactions: kilowatt
rosenwasser

rosenwasser

per ardua ad astra
Sep 9, 2023
For me, my noise-cancelling headphones and sunglasses help a lot. If I forget one of these, the day is more or less over.
Are there any specific triggers that are overstimulating for you and can you reduce them in any way? For me mitigation strategies go a long way when it comes to making my day easier to survive.

E

Endisclose

Experienced
Oct 23, 2023
Recently I've been getting more and more stimulated over small things. Although I have dealt with this before, it was never this severe. I don't only feel overstimulated when I'm upset, many times it's just because I'm excited or stressed, but my brain's response to it is to damage everything around me in order to tone down my emotions. I am autistic and I've never got the chance to get treated or view a therapist for more than a month at a time so I would really appreciate some help. Sometimes I can get away with only flapping my hands or breaking a few pencils, but sometimes I get intense urges to harm myself or my surroundings, that being said it gets out of control easily.
The meds I take don't have an immediate effect so they do not help in these situations. I can't feel it coming and it can last up to an hour. I wouldn't call them meltdowns or attacks but they aren't far off.
I would really appreciate any tips on how to deal with overwhelming and overstimulating situations, I'm willing to try anything!

Have you tried meditation?

Also look up Mindfulness meditation..

I came across this book in a bookshop and thought it was really good

Practical mindfulness a step by step guide Ken A. Verni, Psy.D.

I feel a lot of comfort from watching art cinema. I often turn to it based on my moods.. I'd recommend you watch "The green ray" by Eric Rohmer. I am sure you'll love it.. 🙂 That'll get you started..
At night, when the stars are out, go to the terrace or an open flat space where you can lie down under the night sky. Take your Bluetooth speaker if you have one.. Turn the bass up and listen to this..

I listen to Hindustani music to regulate my moods.. I can give you more info on this if you're interested.. There are ragas for every mood.. Its an ancient Indian art form that was used to heal ailments of the mind and the body in the past..

Hope this helps 🙏.