• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think many here about the media. Maybe it is hard to compare because we live in different countries. I think Germany has a better mainstream media than the US. On the other hand the US has the better independent media in my opinion.

Topics to report more about:
poverty and how nightmarish it is
homelessness
assisted suicide but in my country they are way paternalistic. Switzerland has better opinions on this topic I think
billionaires and their tax evasion schemes
not sure about climate change. It probably is the biggest challenge for human life for the next decades (maybe centuries???) except WW3 starts. The public broadcasting channels report so much about it this is why many say this resembles activism and not journalism.
Julian Assange and how they smear him, how they torture him
forgotten wars like the one in Yemen

In media it is interesting. I don't know the technical term on English but some topics are on their radar for some months or weeks and then they soon vanish. But the attention of the society vanishes too. This is often counterproductive because some issues are so complex that only longterm attention can solve them. So we have some superficial discussions without real solutions. Often there is also the problem of false balance and people who are no expert on the topic are allowed to give their opinion. Just so that the media is perceived as neutral.

Do you know some more topics on which the media should do more investigative research/reports?