Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GBFisnotGBF

Oct 20, 2024
As a chemist, seeing people not following IUPAC naming and come up a own short form offended me. Why it is called SN instead of NaNO2?
It is NaNO2! NaNO2! NaNO2!
SN make no sense at all, use your periodic table!

• Yay!
  • Informative
  • Hugs
Reactions: Tonkpils, notadaisy, Unspoken7612 and 8 others
O

offbalance

All I want is peace
Dec 16, 2021
It takes less time to type.

Reactions: SMmetalhead36, LunarLight, Rudi and 3 others
Rhizomorph1

Rhizomorph1

May you find peace in living or dying
Oct 24, 2023
As a chemist, seeing people not following IUPAC naming and come up a own short form offended me. Why it is called SN instead of NaNO2?
If you're a chemist aren't you aware that there are both generic, brand, and chemical (IUPAC) naming conventions?

Do you always ask people to pass the sodium chloride or NaCL at the dinner table?

SN as an abbreviation for sodium nitrite is a perfectly reasonable referent per the generic naming convention.

"Hey mom, go look out the fanestrane! There's a clown outside!" (Glass)

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: LunarLight, Rudi, notadaisy and 4 others
illvoid

illvoid

he/it
Aug 11, 2022
99% of us are not chemists lol its just easier to type

Reactions: SMmetalhead36, notadaisy, athiestjoe and 1 other person
astr4

astr4

memento mori
Mar 27, 2019
i'll call it nano2 next time and think of u šŸ˜†

edit: guys i think OP is joking, let's not go for the throat just yet haha

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: notadaisy and athiestjoe
athiestjoe

athiestjoe

Passenger
Sep 24, 2024
Hi, HRU?

Welcome to SaSu!

TBH, I pref calling it by its International Chemical Identifier: 1S/HNO2.Na/c2-1-3;/h(H,2,3);/q;+1/p-1 but that is highly inconvenient so instead I adopted to the site's usage and got the ease in it out the gate!

NGL, you may want to slow down with coming in to just start bashing folks before you take the time to adjust to the site's acronyms. It is quick & easy to throw 'SN' out in fact it's 60% shorter. Chemist would appreciate that efficiency and clarity! Chemist would understand everyday people do not use periodic tables. Chemists would have adaptability to being around non-chemists and being flexible. :wink: A chemist would 100% understand that "SN" being "Sodium Nitrite" does make 'sense' and would not think "SN make no sense at all". Hmmm! Do you by chance call salt by NaCl? "Hey pass the NaCl!" does not quite have the ring as "Hey pass the salt" now does it? (EDIT: my buddy Rhiz made the same joke as I was typing out my reply, drat! Great minds ROTFLMAO).

Or maybe you just want to not make an effort into building a supportive community around you which is a-okay but almost everyone here is very thoughtful, kind, supportive and understanding. We have each other's backs no matter what. You can be part of this awesome community to with a little effort and mutual respect. It can be yours too!

LMK if you can adjust. Or people say "meto" instead of typing out metoclopramide. I typically type it out and don't mind but imagine if I had the audicity to tell others it bugged me (it doesn't) and they should conform to how I want it. I hope with whatever method you are planning to CTB that everything goes smoothly and I am so sorry for whatever pain & suffering you must be in to bring you here, but seriously welcome. I am just teasing you a bit because you threw this out there...you had to assume, presume and expect that people would not give in and would not plan to change things for you, right?

So "Why it is called SN instead of NaNO2?": ease.

Or maybe you are trying to troll with this post sort of like this other post that was erm somewhat, problematic as it seemingly ventured into the realm of eugenics...not quite sure. Can't quite tell your intentions. Or saying you want it public, extremely brutal, and to make 100% sure others witness it. Yet no one said they were "offended" by the things you've said, but you want to be "offended" by an acronym. Interesting, very interesting.

With whatever you decide, I hope you find everything you are looking for!

TTYL.

PS BTW: members on this website really love our abbrevs & acrns! I think this thread may be helpful.

(I rarely talk in acronyms but used several in the post above to make a point about ease; I think you get the gist).

Last edited:
Reactions: SMmetalhead36 and maniac116
Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
I have a better idea.
Instead of *tfu SN I suggest using this:

• Yay!
Reactions: Rudi, notadaisy and athiestjoe
Downdraft

Downdraft

I've felt better ngl
Feb 6, 2024
We should normalize calling is NaNO2 tbh, it's both cooler and less confusing at the exchange of the immense effort of trying the shitload of 3 more characters!!! What a huge time waste!!!

• Yay!
Reactions: It'sMyLife, notadaisy, Unspoken7612 and 2 others
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
SN sounds shorter and cooler. NaNO2 just sounds chemically.

Reactions: SMmetalhead36, athiestjoe and It'sMyLife
Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
Lame, get the molecular orbital for the nitrile ion
I don't know the language of intelligent people. Unfortunately, Google Translate doesn't support this language yet. Can you translate?

• Yay!
Reactions: Rudi, notadaisy and athiestjoe
It'sMyLife

It'sMyLife

Little bundles of futile hope we are
Apr 18, 2020
This comes of as a troll albeit a lighthearted one perhaps. But yeah, saying pass the sodium chloride at your office break room might be a running joke, as well as using the chemical name for every other substance we use on a regular basis but in the rest of the universe, it's highly unlikely šŸ˜‚
How about " man it's hot in here- do you have some cold dihydrogen monoxide ?" While we're at it we could use the Latin names for all of our food. Some fried Gallus gallus domesticus sounds good for dinner tonight. This opens up some interesting possibilities but it'd sure get tedious quickly !

• Yay!
Reactions: Tonkpils, Rudi, notadaisy and 4 others
G

GBFisnotGBF

Oct 20, 2024
If you're a chemist aren't you aware that there are both generic, brand, and chemical (IUPAC) naming conventions?

Do you always ask people to pass the sodium chloride or NaCL at the dinner table?

SN as an abbreviation for sodium nitrite is a perfectly reasonable referent per the generic naming convention.

"Hey mom, go look out the fanestrane! There's a clown outside!" (Glass)
During my chemistry life, I never heard one called NaNO2 as SN. Not sure if it is just the community or what but I have no clue what it is even within context. The acronym SN just doesnt look like a chemical to me. Even calling ethanol as EtOH is not that irritating to me compared to calling NaNO2 as SN.
I don't know the language of intelligent people. Unfortunately, Google Translate doesn't support this language yet. Can you translate?
A modern approach to describe a chemical that facilitate better understanding of its reactivity.
Hi, HRU?

Welcome to SaSu!

TBH, I pref calling it by its International Chemical Identifier: 1S/HNO2.Na/c2-1-3;/h(H,2,3);/q;+1/p-1 but that is highly inconvenient so instead I adopted to the site's usage vs assuming everyone else revovled around me and should things how I prefer as others found a shorter way to do it yay!

NGL, you may want to slow down with coming in to just start bashing folks before you take the time to adjust to the site's acronyms. It is quick & easy to throw 'SN' out in fact it's 60% shorter. Chemist would appreciate that efficiency and clarity! Chemist would understand everyday people do not use periodic tables. Chemists would have adaptability to being around non-chemists and being flexible. :wink: A chemist would 100% understand that "SN" being "Sodium Nitrite" does make 'sense' and would not think "SN make no sense at all". Hmmm! Do you by chance call salt by NaCl? "Hey pass the NaCl!" does not quite have the ring as "Hey pass the salt" now does it? (EDIT: my buddy Rhiz made the same joke as I was typing out my reply, drat! Great minds ROTFLMAO).

Or maybe you just want to not make an effort into building a supportive community around you which is a-okay but almost everyone here is very thoughtful, kind, supportive and understanding. We have each other's backs no matter what. You can be part of this awesome community to with a little effort and mutual respect. It can be yours too!

LMK if you can adjust. Or people say "meto" instead of typing out metoclopramide. I typically type it out and don't mind but imagine if I had the audicity to tell others it bugged me (it doesn't) and they should conform to how I want it. I hope with whatever method you are planning to CTB that everything goes smoothly and I am so sorry for whatever pain & suffering you must be in to bring you here, but seriously welcome. I am just teasing you a bit because you threw this out there...you had to assume, presume and expect that people would not give in and would not plan to change things for you, right?

So "Why it is called SN instead of NaNO2?": ease.

TTYL.

PS BTW: members on this website really love our abbrevs & acrns! I think this thread may be helpful.

(I rarely talk in acronyms but used several in the post above to make a point about ease; I think you get the gist).
Thank you for giving me the abbreviation and acronym. But damn, the chemistry part is really cancerous.

Sodium Azide
X SA
V NaN3

Inert Gas
WTF who even call it as IG

Nembutal
No way I guess it from one character

Last edited:
It'sMyLife

It'sMyLife

Little bundles of futile hope we are
Apr 18, 2020
It seems like you joined here just to question the usage of chemical abbreviations on the forum. I'm not being critical here. You can exercise your opinions here. You obviously know your field very well. Curious how you found SS now. Are you aware of the reason these shortened terms are used on SS? In the past we've had a mortician and a pharmacy major post here and they were both very aware that the majority of people don't have their depth of knowledge. They fielded many questions from members in their respective professions and it was pretty amazing what they know. I definitely struggled in the chemistry class I took admittedly. I've worked in custom lighting since 95. It's technical name is cold cathode but most people refer to it as neon ( which by the way is also an over generalization but it's the history of how it came into regular usage 100 years ago and the nomenclature stuck). There is also hot cathode lighting which is a much more boring term as well than its usual name of fluorescent. I'm sure you're getting my point here. Be prepared to answer questions about how chemicals work in the body. I'm sure you'd have a field day with that. My understanding is that excess consumption of SN causes , I'll probably spell it wrong, methaglobinemia but maybe you already knew that
Edit: BTW - welcome to SS. We openly discuss methods of CTB here šŸ˜…

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Tonkpils and notadaisy
athiestjoe

athiestjoe

Passenger
Sep 24, 2024
Or maybe you are trying to troll with this post now since you already made a post that was somewhat, problematic as it seemingly ventured into the realm of eugenics...not quite sure. Can't quite tell your intentions. Or saying you want it public, extremely brutal, and to make 100% sure others witness it.

No one has claimed to be "offended" by what you've said, yet you choose to be offended at the use of an an acronym. That's quite intriguing. We're choosing to remain unoffended. Feel free to be offended if you wish; that's entirely your choice. Just know, our stance isn't changing.

It appears that some of us aren't as easily offended by language as you are. Quite interesting, to say the least.

If you aren't trolling. I might suggest medical attention to figure out what is wrong to the degree you cannot make the logical understanding of picking the first lettter, first word, and second letter of second word and then when put together MAKES PERFECT SENSE for an online forum which is not full of chemists and literally no one bu you cares.

DYING! (I wish).

Last edited:
kat6

kat6

a cloud of smoke trying to occupy space
Sep 25, 2024
It's sodium nitrite? I always thought SN meant Salted Nuts. Shit, no wonder I'm still alive. šŸ˜

• Yay!
Reactions: sevennn, athiestjoe and It'sMyLife
daley

daley

Student
May 11, 2024
We should normalize calling is NaNO2 tbh, it's both cooler and less confusing at the exchange of the immense effort of trying the shitload of 3 more characters!!! What a huge time waste!!!
I agree. NaNO2 sounds and writes way cooler.

kat6

kat6

a cloud of smoke trying to occupy space
Sep 25, 2024
Seriously though, some have names that already sound good.. like HCN, H2S, etcā€¦. but NaNO2? Boy needed a stage name, and we obliged. SN!

Like Bowieā€¦ do you call Bowie "hey, David Robert Jones?"ā€¦ Nah, it's Bowie.

Reactions: It'sMyLife
Dot

Dot

Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021

Slf am walkng testmnt tht abbrviatns in genrl cn b usefl

• Hugs
Reactions: Tonkpils, Downdraft and athiestjoe
daley

daley

Student
May 11, 2024
I guess the main reason I don't like SN is that it can promote confusion between Sodium Nitrite and Sodium Nitrate.
This can be a serious problem for many.

• Informative
Reactions: Tonkpils and Talvikki
Status
Not open for further replies.