willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
mod note: this has been added to the suicide resource compilation at the top.

This has been made in response to the ever increasing amount of posts made about highly unlikely methods. Please read before posting about one of these methods or feel free to link if someone does post about them.

This thread is meant to prevent people from trying methods that are almost certain to not kill them but likely to cause harm, whether temporary or permanent. Any method listed in this thread should not be attempted by anyone, and should not be considered a method. I do not give advice on methods that will kill you, as it goes against my personal beliefs, so I will not be responding to any questions asking about them. This has been made for harm reduction to prevent people from ending up in a worse off situation.

Tylenol/paracetamol/acetominophen
An overdose of Tylenol has a probability of ~5% or less of killing you. That is an incredibly low chance. If you succeed, odds are it will be slowly over the course of days to weeks, or even months, as your liver slowly shuts down. This would be an excruciatingly painful death. Liver failure causes your skin to turn yellow, nausea, vomiting, severe abdominal pain, fowl smelling pale stools, and even the potential for massive esophageal bleeding. More than likely, however, you will throw up for several hours before returning back to baseline over the next few days. If you do seek medical care, you will be given the reversal drug and then sent to the psych ward after being medically stabilized.

Other over the counter medications
While over the counter availability differs from country to country, the rule remains that if it can be purchased without a prescription, it is not a method. These medications have been deemed safe enough by your country's government through rigorous testing that they feel confident giving free access to them. This means that the odds of you being able to overdose on it are very low. Once again, less than 10%, though the exact statistic will vary from drug to drug. Generally, no matter what medication you chose, the answer will be waking up in your vomit feeling like you're more hung over than ever. Things such as ibuprofen or other NSAIDs will do nothing but make you vomit. The amount that you would have to take in order to reach toxic levels is high enough that you will throw up before your body gets to that point. If you manage to reach lethal levels, it will be painful and slow, often resulting in severe abdominal pain, seizures and other neurological symptoms. Your kidneys will work overtime to flush it out of your system and you have a very high chance of waking up in a pool of your own vomit. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is another common overdose (this is over the counter in the US, though I know it is prescription in other countries, however the consensus stands) that results in severe hallucinations. These are often described by people who have survived as absolutely terrifying. Following that is likely seizures and coma, however the odds of it being lethal are not in your favor, especially if medical attention is given. It has the potential to cause cardiac side effects, however all of this considered, the fatality rates are considered low, the highest death rate I was able to find was 14%, however this varies from source to source.

Prescription medications
This method has a lot more nuance to it, as certain prescriptions have a high likelihood of lethality when taken in the right doses, while others have next to 0 chance. Generally, most prescriptions have a low chance of killing you. Psychiatric medications are the most discussed on this forum, and are also on the lower end of having any shot at killing you. Antidepressants vary in chance of killing you, though even the most toxic (tricyclics) have only about a 14% chance, not a very good statistic. At worst, certain antidepressants have only a 0.5% chance. Other medications, such as those taken for chronic conditions, vary wildly, however the list of those with a high chance of killing you is significantly shorter than the ones with little or moderate chance. Obviously it would be far too tedious to go and list off all of them.

Cutting
This method is often sought out by people who have seen it in movies or TV shows. It should not be considered a method, as it is only in these shows to play it up for the movies. With a success rate of ~1-4%, the odds are the opposite of in your favor. While they make it seem like you can take a razor blade to the wrist and peacefully slip into unconsciousness in the bathtub, in reality it is nothing like that. The human body is wired to not be able to harm itself in this way. In order to die from blood loss you would have to cut an artery. The arteries are meticulously located beneath several layer of muscle, tendons, and other tissues. They are not meant to be cut, especially not on purpose. Even with wonderful understanding of anatomy, such as healthcare workers, you would have a very, very poor chance of reaching them unless you were in a state of psychosis. If you attempted to, you would find yourself halfway there before realizing you mentally and physically cannot get yourself to go any further. Your mind will stop you without you having any control over it. Many people argue that if they get drunk or high beforehand they will be able to overcome it, however this would impair your ability to properly locate and cut to the arteries. The biggest risk with this method is permanent nerve damage to whatever area you attempt to cut. Depending on how deep you get before aborting, you may end up with severe scarring and potentially anemia or other blood loss related conditions.

VSED (voluntarily stopping eating and drinking)
This method is often sought out by people who hear about it use in terminally ill patients on hospice. These patients are under the care of medical professionals who are prescribing them heavy sedatives and pain killers to ensure that they are in as little distress as possible, as well as likely in the late stages of dying in which thirst and hunger cues are lost. It is also rarely done in people who have reached extreme states of spiritual enlightenment. In general, someone who does not meet either of these criteria will not be able to succeed in VSED. There are currently 0 confirmed cases of this on this site, despite many, many attempts, myself included. While people are under the impression that consuming absolutely no food or fluids will kill you within 3 days max, that is a myth. The body has the potential to make it much longer on absolutely nothing. As you get further and further into dehydration and electrolyte imbalances, your mental state will begin to suffer. Your body will go to extreme lengths to get some sort of fuel. If you have any access to food or water, you will eventually be overcome with an ravenous, primitive desire to eat and drink anything in your path. You will eventually cave. And will then have put yourself through days and days of this for nothing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Love
Reactions: bitofftoomuch, lifewasawillowtv, overdosechan and 120 others
Davey40210

Davey40210

Even the stars make room for new stars
Sep 3, 2024
Thank you Willitpass for this post. I think its great you are posting this because the methods you described are not effective, but can still lead to a lot of misery. This way you can hopefully prevent some people from doing that.

In terms of an effective method according to my research full suspension hanging works best, as long as you are uninterrupted for 30 min, and have a strong rope and anchor point.

I will say that CO poisoning was my initial method of choice but after reading about it a lot I am getting the impression there are many things that can go wrong.

Some other things that seem to me quite at risk of not succeeding (but with lasting condition afterwards) are:
- Jumping off below 50 metres (if you land on your feet you could survive)
- Freezing (you lose fingers, toes, even some limbs, but could be found or just survive)

Reactions: opheliaoveragain, hatedavoidant, JealousOfTheElderly and 10 others
drug

drug

Global Mod
Aug 26, 2024
Thank you so much for the thread!! We've added it to the suicide resource compilation and pinned it

Reactions: opheliaoveragain, davidtorez, _AllCatsAreGrey_ and 4 others
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
Glad someone's posting this

Reactions: opheliaoveragain, myusername890, davidtorez and 5 others
T

ThisIsMe1357

May 20, 2024
I like that the VSED non-method was mentioned in the first post given how many people have asked about it here recently. :)

Reactions: opheliaoveragain, myusername890, davidtorez and 3 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Thank you for posting this. This site and the internet in general comes under so much criticism but I think- this kind of thing should be seen as a public service. Back in the dark ages- when I was growing up, there wasn't the internet so- I seriously considered a paracetamol overdose.

Everyone here is struggling. It seems awful that people could very potentially make life even worse for themselves by attempting with an unreliable but brutal method. Thank goodness we can actually research and make more informed choices now. I'm glad to see this in the sticky threads.

• Hugs
Reactions: opheliaoveragain, n0exit, Peerless_Cucumber and 9 others
M

Mars34

Sep 4, 2024
Yes, don't ctb with OTC drugs, they're OTC for a reason. It will be very painful. Stay safe

Reactions: n0exit, myusername890, davidtorez and 3 others
D

dauntra17

Aug 12, 2024
If the cardiac meds are an unreliable method, why is it in the ppEh? This has confused me

Reactions: davidtorez
willitpass

willitpass

Mar 10, 2020
If the cardiac meds are an unreliable method, why is it in the ppEh? This has confused me
If you read the post I state that different prescription meds have different reliability, ranging from very reliable to very unreliable. If you have questions about specific prescriptions then do your own research.

Reactions: n0exit, davidtorez, Tonkpils and 1 other person
D

dauntra17

Aug 12, 2024
If you read the post I state that different prescription meds have different reliability, ranging from very reliable to very unreliable. If you have questions about specific prescriptions then do your own research.
Okay first of all you can cut the attitude. I did read the post. I was asking a clarifying question. Why did you write the post if you have such resentment towards people who are newer? Don't make a post warning people away from a method you're ignorant on yourself.

• Hmph!
Reactions: kvsvenky100, kavina, davidtorez and 2 others
willitpass

willitpass

Mar 10, 2020
Okay first of all you can cut the attitude. I did read the post. I was asking a clarifying question. Why did you write the post if you have such resentment towards people who are newer? Don't make a post warning people away from a method you're ignorant on yourself.
I'm actually far from ignorant on this, I work in healthcare and plan on CTB with two cardiac meds that I have full confidence will kill me. I don't advise people on proper methods as I don't like the concept of being part of helping someone CTB even inadvertently, I only advise people on what not to do in order to prevent harm. As such I will not be giving any advice on what medications do fall into the highly lethal list. If someone wants to go that route they will have to figure it out without my help. I apologize for the attitude as I sometimes give a bad vibe through text since tone of voice is lacking.

Reactions: Aether333, davidtorez, Peerless_Cucumber and 10 others
ladylazarus4

ladylazarus4

exhausted
May 12, 2024
Suicide By Cop
Someone recently made a thread about this but suicide by cop has a low chance of working especially if you are white, a woman, seem middle-upper class, etc. It is not worth the risk of a fine or time in prison. The majority of cops do not want to kill people. I'm not trying to say that there aren't bad cops, because there are, but it's a big gamble.

Toaster in the bathtub
This is a method popularized by the media, mostly, at this point, as a joke. I'm not sure if anyone seriously considers this but if you are, it's not worth it. It may work but likely will not- modern circuits will short (I think...) before the electricity surges enough to kill you.

Car Exhaust or Head in the oven
These two methods used to work because of carbon monoxide given off by the car engine or oven. However, the manufacturing has changed and now neither give off nearly enough CO to kill you.

Alcohol Poisoning
Especially if you have a tolerance, this will not work. Alcohol poisoning by and large kills people when they suffocate into a soft surface or choke on their own vomit. You will vomit up the alcohol (yes, even with AE).

Apple Seeds/Cherry Pits
The quantity of cyanide in these are quite low and can vary so it would be quite difficult to extract enough cyanide to kill you.

• Informative
Reactions: Aether333, myusername890, davidtorez and 12 others
U

Unspoken7612

Student
Jul 14, 2024
There is a typo in the OP - "fowl smelling" instead of "foul smelling".

Here's my recent thread on why "Suicide by Cop" is not a real (or ethical) method: https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/suicide-by-cop.177432/

That said, one thing we should note about these "non-methods" is that they do still carry some level of risk, whether that's death, serious damage, pain, legal consequences, danger to others, etc. People who don't want to kill themselves (but want it to seem like they attempted) should also not attempt them.

Reactions: davidtorez, uglyugly, abchia and 3 others
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
Other poor methods I've seen suggested:

- Trying to get hit by a car
- Trying to die by animals (jumping in a zoo enclosure, etc)
- Trying to get STD's and other lethal diseases
- Trying to die in a car crash
- Machinery

Some machinery (I imagine, anyway; I can't think of a non-horrific shop tool for suicide) and car crashes are arguable to an extent but I think in general they're unreliable and very risky, having a good chance of leaving you alive with a mangled body or causing collateral damage.

• Informative
Reactions: davidtorez, opheliaoveragain, shadow999 and 4 others
SoulWhisperer

SoulWhisperer

Careless Soul « MtF »
Nov 13, 2023
I join the others in thanking you for making this post. ❤️

Edit: Maybe another 2 that I think hardly succeed and read somewhere before are police and "hiring a hitman" which is another movie-like myth.

Last edited:
Reactions: myusername890, davidtorez, Peerless_Cucumber and 4 others
assistedsuicidelove

assistedsuicidelove

Sep 6, 2024
Any stories please reply to my post:

Lulu Sun

Lulu Sun

Sep 5, 2024
thank you so much for sharing this, it's very helpful

D

dauntra17

Aug 12, 2024

I'm actually far from ignorant on this, I work in healthcare and plan on CTB with two cardiac meds that I have full confidence will kill me. I don't advise people on proper methods as I don't like the concept of being part of helping someone CTB even inadvertently, I only advise people on what not to do in order to prevent harm. As such I will not be giving any advice on what medications do fall into the highly lethal list. If someone wants to go that route they will have to figure it out without my help. I apologize for the attitude as I sometimes give a bad vibe through text since tone of voice is lacking.
I think it's very important that people know the pph can be trusted and not to rely on one post on SASU that implies it's wrong.

willitpass

willitpass

Mar 10, 2020
I think it's very important that people know the pph can be trusted and not to rely on one post on SASU that implies it's wrong.
I never once said anything that implies that. I stated in the first sentence of the prescription section that it is more nuanced and certain prescriptions have a high likelihood while others don't. There is nothing in there that is saying anything of the sort.

Reactions: myusername890, davidtorez, _AllCatsAreGrey_ and 5 others
HereIGoAgain24

HereIGoAgain24

Sep 2, 2024
I truly appreciate this post, and even though I mostly knew that this was the case, it's still rather disheartening to remember just how difficult a truly peaceful end is. The one about alcohol poisoning, in particular, is frustrating- seems like the best I can hope for is deliberately lying on my back when I sleep (never my natural position, hahaha starts sobbing).

Reactions: n0exit, davidtorez, jumbled_up and 3 others
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
I join the others in thanking you for making this post. ❤️

Edit: Maybe another 2 that I think hardly succeed and read somewhere before are police and "hiring a hitman" which is another movie-like myth.
Hiring a hitman should definitely be on there

Reactions: DrinkyCrow, davidtorez, LifeQuitter and 2 others
SonicFan1994

SonicFan1994

Jun 17, 2024
I tried overdosing on benzos off darknet combined with titos vodka and just ended up with brain damage. Made my life 10x harder than it already was. Basically i suffer from hypoxia symptoms when im sober. Everyday. An everyday headache. combined with panic and anxiety attacks because it feels like your head is on fire.

Just be more wise than me and dont be impulsive about your wanting to CTB

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: n0exit, sugarb, DrinkyCrow and 15 others
jepe24

jepe24

Shelly
Sep 6, 2024
In regards to the medication would mixing 3 heart medications together be a total fail if they are at a high dosage

D

Death Diviner

Sire
Sep 2, 2024
It's actually difficult to off oneself.💀

Reactions: BlueCup, kvsvenky100, JustAnotherSadMan and 16 others
jepe24

jepe24

Shelly
Sep 6, 2024
Are cardiac meds unreliable I thought they were realible ?

sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
  • Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: gummycentipede, Aether333, n0exit and 12 others
uglyugly

uglyugly

Student
Aug 24, 2024
Although I don't think anyone would consider this, I wanted to add intentional food poisoning to the list of non-methods. I've had extremely serious food poisoning three times in my life - all accidental of course - and it is horrific. I refuse to go anywhere near hospitals or doctors, so I had to ride them all out. The first time I got so severely dehydrated that I could not stand or even sit without getting dizzy and falling. The second and third time I was both peeing and pooping blood. I had uncontrolable vomiting, diarrhea, cramping, unbelievable pain all over my body (the toxins from poisoning can travel to your entire system) and I thought I was going to die. I clearly did not, but my digestive system has still not recovered from the last time, which was last year. I have had problems digesting food since then, likely have SIBO and still have problems with loose, unpredictable poop. Food poisoning can kill a person, but there are way too many factors and most people survive.

To this day, I keep activated charcoal capsules in my home, car and at work. At the first sign of possible food poisoning, I take them until all signs end. I'm not giving medical advice, but that is the path that works for me since I won't touch western medicine. There's no way I'm going through this again.

• Wow
Reactions: Ashu, DrinkyCrow, davidtorez and 7 others
shadow999

shadow999

Student
Sep 6, 2024
Thank you OP. Was hoping VSED would work sober but I am not attempting it now.

Reactions: davidtorez and ladylazarus4
A

Alessio

Aug 9, 2024
Saltare da meno di 50 metri (se atterri in piedi potresti sopravvivere)
Non credo che sia impossibile morire da un'altezza di 50 metri, se cadi sulla testa di sicuro muori

Reactions: Ashu and davidtorez
clitoralcancer

clitoralcancer

I apologize for the name
Aug 18, 2024
I think pesticides, Drano, insecticides without taking into account the suffering involved should also be added. The high likelihood that your organs are forever going to be permanently damaged not to mention the horrific pain and rigidity of muscles, and the list goes on it's just not a realistic method or at least I don't think, not a high likelihood of death but a high likelihood of lifelong self-imposed hell

• Aww..
Reactions: WantingOut2, Ashu, n0exit and 7 others