• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
Of course it's appreciated. It would be sadistic to expect the volunteers serving this community to work even harder. If I'm not mistaken, they're all still suicidal themselves. I know I'd never be able to do their job. I really miss @Symbiote, btw.
Yeah l would agree, but would think the best solution to that would be for members to not rage-report every single post which offends them slightly and not build up a pile of reports motivated by personal dramas or whatever, there's probably enough reports to work through on scammers, sleazebags, actual bullying to work through without the report button being used as an aggro tool.

Would also like to reiterate here that it doesn't reduce personal drama, a fair few threads have been derailed by block related chat and it's not great imo when members discuss another member in pejorative terms from behind a block so this member in question can't see it, which I've seen a few times. It's certainly poor form when members with several thousand posts are publicly airing a one-sided view of why a block took place which could facilitate wider bad feeling towards an individual and lead to wider ostracisation.

I'd also add that this is a forum which supposedly holds "providing information" as a primary purpose - if a user is blocked by someone who starts a thread that entire thread is invisible, and if that thread is informative that individual user is barred from receiving that information.

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
Can anyone briefly summarize this entire thread? I have virtually all the participants (or rather antagonists) blocked and refuse to engage with these troublemakers as a rule. I myself would prefer a button that allows me to delete them from the forum completely, a Xenforo-based nuclear detonator if you will, but I will settle for this 2 way block system and others doing the legwork for me.

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
Yeah l would agree, but would think the best solution to that would be for members to not rage-report every single post which offends them slightly and not build up a pile of reports motivated by personal dramas or whatever
That seems to be what happens when people get too invested in the forum and treat it more like social media. If that's what we want then fair enough, but IMO it works better as a public forum. Just speaking for myself but I don't ever want to make things too personal on a site like this, for obvious reasons.

justsayin

justsayin

Jan 30, 2021
Can anyone briefly summarize this entire thread? I have virtually all the participants (or rather antagonists) blocked and refuse to engage with these troublemakers as a rule. I myself would prefer a button that allows me to delete them from the forum completely, a Xenforo-based nuclear detonator if you will, but I will settle for this 2 way block system and others doing the legwork for me.

The discussion in this thread is no longer relevant. There is a possibility for 2-way blocking function to be used by scammers to avoid being detected by suspisious users. This is no longer a matter of personal preference, but a security flaw.

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/new-n-source.79891/post-1432328

P.S. The link is to a specific post, and I don't know if it will work for those that have that member on block list.

Last edited:
Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
The discussion in this thread is no longer relevant. There is a possibility for 2-way blocking function to be used by scammers to avoid being detected by suspisious users. This is no longer a matter of personal preference, but a security flaw.

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/new-n-source.79891/post-1432328

P.S. The link is to a specific post, and I don't know if it will work if the member is on block list.
This was pointed out by myself and other users way back in the thread but there hasn't been a meaningful response to it.

Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
Further to the above, I'm going to go back on myself regarding the discussion of users post-block and do it here myself:

One user sent me a message informing me that another user was a journalist, they offered no substantive evidence to support it but asked me, as "one of the smarter members of the forum", to "call it out" as they felt worried they'd given them personal info. I refused, on the basis that l found this manipulative approach uncomfortable and I'm not a forum moderator, nor am l a trade union rep who can be called upon to do public confrontation on behalf of others. In my view if, given the events of the past fortnight, a regular user is so horny he loses common sense and gives personal info to a brand new member doing an obvious catfish, thats his undoing and l can't rectify this. I have also noted that this user has given two different ages for himself on this site, so was unkeen on this basis also. As it was, this user clearly messaged others and someone went public for him.

Anyway, despite being one of the "smarter members" who this user saw fit to approach to help him out of a jam, l was then blocked for refusing to do his public doxxing. I won't name them here because they have no right to reply, but this is absolutely fucking shitty conduct which, once again, is enabled via the block tool.

I can also no longer read *my own posts* in a thread because this user started the thread, jfc

Last edited:
TheHatedOne

TheHatedOne

Death is salvation
Sep 26, 2021
How is the two-way blocking any better? Ignore would've produced the same result
Excuse me, but from what I know, ignoring would have still shown the user's post but it would be hidden and you'd click if you wanted to see. You'd still see the user's posts everywhere. However, with this new feature as I said, I think it's okay cause it prevents bullying. Because of this feature I have no longer anxiety of going around the forum because all the people who name called me and attacked me are like dissappeared for me. This gives me less negative feelings and misery, I don't know how to break this down further, I respect all opinions, but here's mine in which I think this feature is a positive one because it helps me mentally.

• Hugs
Reactions: Manaaja
P

PeacefulTonic

Enlightened
Aug 10, 2021
Excuse me, but from what I know, ignoring would have still shown the user's post but it would be hidden and you'd click if you wanted to see. You'd still see the user's posts everywhere. However, with this new feature as I said, I think it's okay cause it prevents bullying. Because of this feature I have no longer anxiety of going around the forum because all the people who name called me and attacked me are like dissappeared for me. This gives me less negative feelings and misery, I don't know how to break this down further, I respect all opinions, but here's mine in which I think this feature is a positive one because it helps me mentally.
My mistake. I wasn't aware that's how the ignore function worked, cause I don't ignore or block anybody. Perhaps the ignore should be changed to a one way block instead. That would accomplish the same

Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
Excuse me, but from what I know, ignoring would have still shown the user's post but it would be hidden and you'd click if you wanted to see.
So basically the ignore button hid the post and you had to click it to reveal it? Sounds like that's working as it should tbh, if someone has been ignored it then makes it *your choice* to see their posts, the issue there is with the person choosing to override the option to ignore the user.

If you were bullied on this forum that's a bad show and l fully agree with protecting users from that, however there are ways of doing so which do not impact on every other user's everyday activity on the site - l feel that the instances of bullying and harassment on this site are rare enough to not implement a broad tool and can be handled discreetly by moderators wen they arise. A situation where insults can be thrown behind a block, threads are difficult to follow because posts are missing due to some age-old petty beef about some shit, scammers and creeps can selectively display their output, members being excluded from threads they've contributed heavily to because the OP has nuked you for not agreeing to "call out" another user on their behalf, etc etc.

The fundamental issue is with the maturity and conduct of users on this site and how they use this tool. The moderators are volunteers and are also doing a lot of firefighting right now so it's understandable that they don't want to police the petty beefs and bullshit that often arises but this tool is something that will just become another tool which is often used in an underhand way, just as the report tool can be.

Frankly it isn't right that I'm excluded from forum content, and threads I've contributed heavily to because somebody tried to manipulate me into doing something for him via pm and l told them no. If this about protecting users is an absolute overreach.

justsayin

justsayin

Jan 30, 2021

Like I already wrote in my previous post, this is not a matter of personal preference, but a security flaw. Scams are a real thing happening on the forum.

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/scammed.78895/
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/new-n-source.79891/

2-way blocking give scammers the ability to completly avoid nosy members and remain stealthy for longer, scamming more members in the process. You can not justify it by saying that it will stop bullying, because it won't. If members are bullying you, then you should report them and fight back. Blocking them won't stop the bullying but just make them move to another victim, and another, and another. You don't stop the bulllying by ignoring it, but by taking action.

Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
Like I already wrote in my previous post, this is not a matter of personal preference, but a security flaw. Scams are a real thing happening on the forum.

2-way blocking give scammers the ability to completly avoid nosy members and remain stealthy for longer, scamming more members in the process. You can not justify it by saying that it will stop bullying, because it won't. If members are bullying you, then you should report them and fight back. Blocking them won't stop the bullying but just make them move to another victim, and another, and another. You don't stop the bulllying by ignoring it, but by taking action.
Will add to this that from behind the block I've been called, on the public forum:

"arrogant and detrimental to our community"

"more toxic than botulin"

"a vile person"

Now considering everyone can read these comments about me except for me, this could be seen as a bullying tactic. Given l can't *see* these comments and am only aware of them through other means l can not report this either, should l wish to (fwiw the latter two of the three are probably accurate enough but that's by the by). Two of them took place in a thread I'm now entirely blocked from, for refusing to do the bidding of the thread creator and doxxing someone.

Bullying comes in many forms, quite often it involves an unpleasant person saying unpleasant things about you to your peers without you being aware. It relies upon its target being weaker, being silenced, being incapable of meaningfully fighting back. The two-way block facilitates bullying more than it prevents it.

cambrai33

cambrai33

Traveller
Nov 3, 2021
I'm quoted in a thread I am blocked from but such is life, things will all come out in the wash as they always do eventually.

I don't personally see the intent as bullying but the consequence can probably feel like it for some.

• Wow
Reactions: 9BBN
Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
I don't personally see the intent as bullying but the consequence can probably feel like it for some.
Well quite, l don't see the blocks I've had as bullying as much as l see it as prissy bullshit but the idea that forum users are having forum content essentially edited for them by other individual users, including their own actual posts, because that individual doesn't like another individual is not a step towards eradicating bullying and it certainly does not make this forum a safer place.

cambrai33

cambrai33

Traveller
Nov 3, 2021
In addition in a time of mistrust and suspicion it doesn't help. I probably challenged an individual too much but life is literally to short to worry over it now. I might be completely wrong about them but my spidey senses were too suspicious of someone who came here and with a few days was calling out how the forum was run, I suspect they were here previously under another guise but time will tell

Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
In addition in a time of mistrust and suspicion it doesn't help. I probably challenged an individual too much but life is literally to short to worry over it now. I might be completely wrong about them but my spidey senses were too suspicious of someone who came here and with a few days was calling out how the forum was run, I suspect they were here previously under another guise but time will tell
This is an important issue tbh, yes your suspicions may have been wrong (probably not imho but who knows) but things which are obviously suspicious, such as a user giving a different age in the partners thread to the one he gave in main forum, or a user offering to "provide all the N2 you'd need and will move your body afterwards so it does not look like suicide" result in the hard block when I've pointed them out.

Obviously the report tool exists but in the latter instance l reported it and the offending post was removed, while the user was able to continue schmoozing his way across the site with saccharine empathy hugs at the appropriate time. This effectively launders the user and hides his own creep-posting.

TheHatedOne

TheHatedOne

Death is salvation
Sep 26, 2021

Bruh I've already taken action but nothing happened. This is like the last resort for me.

All I did was to state my opinion. I fully acknowledge all the negative factors but I see the good one too which helps me mentally.

But of course when the hated one states their opinion or talks at all, they will have people jump on their heads. It is what it is.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Amumu
justsayin

justsayin

Jan 30, 2021
Bruh I've already taken action but nothing happened. This is like the last resort for me.
Nobody ever said that fight is gonna be easy, or that it will ever end. What someone did say is that the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

All I did was to state my opinion. I fully acknowledge all the negative factors but I see the good one too which helps me mentally.
I understand your opinion, which is why I answered to your post in the first place. Creating some sort of echo chamber can be beneficial in short term, but does not address the actual cause of problems while creating bunch of new ones. Stuff like that can not be good in the long term.

Last edited:
Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018

But of course when the hated one states their opinion or talks at all, they will have people jump on their heads. It is what it is.
I certainly won't seek to discount or dismiss your experience, l too have been on the receiving end of weird shit from users here, admittedly more passive-aggressive sniping than outward bullying but it's about striking a balance between protecting users from outright bullying and diminishing the forum experience for every other user, and this is heavily imbalanced in favour of unpleasant people who wish to hide their content from scrutiny.

Further, you can surely see that your individual experience here does not correlate with me being denied access to view my own posts in a thread because the thread was started by someone who was told to fuck off when he attempted to manipulate me into doing his bidding. Who does this protect, and from whom?

Interloper

Interloper

Jul 23, 2021

So that new n source thread didn't get deleted, the OP just blocked me?

Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
I probably have the biggest ignore list around here. The reason for that is very simple: I believe this forum can be many things, good and bad. What is important is how you use it, what you make of it.

I find that there is a certain type of users who make me feel uncomfortable. Even seeing their content, without engaging, causes me some distress. I am highly sensitive, the type who cannot sleep over small things. So I have to shield myself. I simply hit the ignore button. No drama. I have no wish to interact with certain users and no wish for them to interact with me. The forum is big enough to allow for this kind of avoidance.

Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
I probably have the biggest ignore list around here. The reason for that is very simple: I believe this forum can be many things, good and bad. What is important is how you use it, what you make of it.

I find that there is a certain type of users who make me feel uncomfortable. Even seeing their content, without engaging, causes me some distress. I am highly sensitive, the type who cannot sleep over small things. So I have to shield myself. I simply hit the ignore button. No drama. I have no wish to interact with certain users and no wish for them to interact with me. The forum is big enough to allow for this kind of avoidance.
This is absolutely fair enough and tbqh is a perfectly sensible way to navigate this site if some content can cause upset, but you're describing an ignore list, which improves your use of the forum without damaging the experience for other users you dislike.

Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
This is absolutely fair enough and tbqh is a perfectly sensible way to navigate this site if some content can cause upset, but you're describing an ignore list, which improves your use of the forum without damaging the experience for other users you dislike.

I got a good laugh out of one of your previous posts, the one where you mentioned someone contacting you about a journalist on SS. I just don't understand how that person picked you of all people - anyone who's read two of your posts knows you are the least likely person around here to do someone else's bidding.

Trade union representative, ha ha ha, you should write that as your tag line.

justsayin

justsayin

Jan 30, 2021
So that new n source thread didn't get deleted, the OP just blocked me?

I don't know. I can no longer access that thread.

Can anyone else see this thread?

Dot

Dot

Globl mod - Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
I don't know. I can no longer access that thread.

Can anyone else see this thread?
Cnt C it. Nt hve n.e.1 blckd.

• Informative
Reactions: justsayin
Status
Not open for further replies.