wildflowers1996

wildflowers1996

Arcanist
Oct 14, 2023
what do people here know about this? do you think rewiring the brain is possible?
like I get the logic behind it, but I just think my brain is beyond rewiring...

zel

zel

Curiosity killed the cat, eh?
Oct 17, 2023
You can create new neural pathways (neurogenesis), but you cannot rewire or erase old ones. The way we mold new pathways is via "experience-dependent plasticity." Strictly speaking however, if something is writ into your mind, it cannot be erased: this is why groups like AA/NA hold as a creed that once an addict/alcoholic, you are always an addict/alcoholic — though you can certainly achieve sobriety. One misstep and you're back in your pit, as deep as it was when you left.

see: https://www.nature.com/articles/522S50a#:~:text=Sullivan's research suggests that people,regain their working memory1
&

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: movinout17 and wildflowers1996
a_carbon_based_life

a_carbon_based_life

I deserve peace
Aug 16, 2023
Maybe not erase but definitely rewire, it happens constantly weather you're aware of it of not. Everyone is constantly evolving and changing both for the better or for the worse

This was in response to @zel I forgot to quote it 😓

• Hugs
Reactions: wildflowers1996 and pthnrdnojvsc
zel

zel

Oct 17, 2023
Maybe not erase but definitely rewire, it happens constantly weather you're aware of it of not. Everyone is constantly evolving and changing both for the better or for the worse

This was in response to @zel I forgot to quote it 😓
Yeah, I'm not saying that people can't change. I'm just saying that those old patterns of behavior or thought will remain dormant if left unused; but by no means do they atrophy. All it takes is a little myelination and they're firing off good as new.

It's just that I find the term "rewiring" to be somewhat of a misnomer, that's all. You can wire, but you cannot wire over old pathways, if you follow 😛

p.s. The functional reorganization discussed in that NLM article are equipopoteniality, vicariation, and diaschisis.
None of these have anything to do with the reappropriation of old synaptic pathways with entirely new functionality.
They rather describe the flexibility of the brain to redistribute workload by generating new synaptic pathways such that regions of the brain now have adventitious functionality. This is rather in line with what I've been talking about :)

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: wildflowers1996
wildflowers1996

wildflowers1996

Arcanist
Oct 14, 2023
this is interesting, thank you. It seems really complicated though. Like some people respond to therapy and others don't - why are some brains unable to create new pathways (or at least not easily) whereas some can? at what point do you know it's too late :(

• Hugs
Reactions: zel
zel

zel

Oct 17, 2023
this is interesting, thank you. It seems really complicated though. Like some people respond to therapy and others don't - why are some brains unable to create new pathways (or at least not easily) whereas some can? at what point do you know it's too late :(
My understanding is that, except in extremely rare cases, everyone is able to create new pathways and begin all sorts of new habits of action and thought. The difficulty isn't so much the creation of those new paths but rather to stop using the paths that your brain is already accustomed to going down.

Think of it like this: It's easier to pick up a habit of working out than you might imagine; the hard part is breaking the habit of sitting on the couch and watching TV or using your computer in your downtime.

Whatever it is you're trying to do or avoid doing, you more than likely can accomplish it with the right strategies and some perseverance! :))

• Hugs
Reactions: wildflowers1996