• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Spades

Spades

he/him
Jul 7, 2023
/// this is kind of all over the place sorry, it's very painful for me to write about past hospitalizations so this might be a bit incoherent and jump from topic to topic, and back again to a previous topic!

/// it also takes a bit for me to get into my first actual hospitalization, sorry for that too! I just need to vent abt psych wards rn and how horrible police treat you on the way over there bc I was almost hospitalized today and I needed to get this all off my chest at some point

I've only ever been to children and teen psych wards, so I'm honestly unsure if adult wards are any better due to the fact that it's a lot more difficult to get away with abusing an adult in comparison to a child who in the US-

-are seen more as property than as actual human beings and have less rights than adults do even in such an environment where you'll be dehumanized either way.

Regardless, here's my experiences with psych wards. I'll preface this by stating outright that they've done nothing but cause me harm and the abuse I saw and went through during my many stays have forever scarred me both mentally and physically.

To be blunt, I don't know if I'd be browsing this forum right now if it weren't for the trauma these places burned into me. I likely would still be here at some point due to the nature of my brain and the unfortunate ineffectiveness of medications in my specific case. (I know they work wonders for many, I just happen to be comically unlucky in that department)

But I think I'd still be here typing this, just at 26 instead of 18 as I'm doing right now. Hospitalization just forced me to the edge sooner than I would have been otherwise.

Right, sorry, I know I got off topic but I felt that bit of explanation necessary in the context of my hospitalizations over the years.

I was 9 years old when I was hospitalized for the first time, but I was 7 years old when I was grabbed, restrained, and covered in bruises by paramedics after my teacher called in to get me hospitalized due to self harm.

(The self harm in question was stabbing the side of my neck repeatedly until I bled with a pencil as I screamed and cried about how I wished I were a miscarriage)

I had just learned what a miscarriage was a day prior to that when my mother mistakenly called me her "miracle baby." I don't remember what she said before that or even what we were talking about, I just remember that and shouting about it the next day.

Anyway, being like 7 years old, I thought these people were trying to kidnap me bc no one thought to explain what was going on to this already scared and suicidal child. So I obviously fought and kicked, hence the bruises.

While this was a horrifically traumatizing experience, the one good thing I could gleam about this horrible experience was being temporarily spared from the full, and true horrors of child psych wards due to the hospital not having any beds available for me.

There could have been another reason I wasn't admitted, but I honestly don't remember much and the mere act of trying to recall those memories is very painful so I'd rather not remember more than what's needed to type this.

Moving back to my first actual hospitalization at 9, I did the pencil thing again but I didn't draw blood this time around.

It was basically the same thing as last time, but instead of getting assaulted by paramedics, I got my shit wrecked by cops.

This is also where I learned that the people in my life will always choose to side with authority and will gleefully take any opportunity to justify systematic abuse if it means they don't have to think about how fleeting their status is as "one of the good ones."
"You should have complied, they wouldn't have had to do that to you if you did."

As if that justifies them slamming me into the ground twice when they could have done so once, or better yet, not at all! I was a lanky 9 year old girl at the time, that kind of force could have killed me if they did so with more spite.

Sure, I was told that the cop got in trouble for brutalizing me, but he only got a slap on the wrist! He's still hired to this day and probably still beating the shit out of the mentally ill almost a decade later!

I bring this all up because police brutality is just another key aspect when discussing psych wards and their lack of benefits even though this abuse takes place prior to the other fucked up shit.

And if there's one thing you take from this, it's that cops will beat the everloving shit out of anyone, and I mean ANYONE including small children (ESPECIALLY if they're brown or non-white) at the first sign of resistance.

You so much as make a sudden movement and they will perceive it as a threat, so please be cautious when dealing with them if someone has called the cops on you!

But just know if you are beaten by them, it was not your fault and please don't let anyone convince you otherwise,, sometimes a cop is in a bad mood and no amount of caution could have saved you from the relentless force of their cruelty.

Now onto my actual stay at the psych ward;

So I get there and I'm absolutely terrified, bleeding from scrapes I got from being slammed onto uneven concrete repeatedly, covered in bruises from head to toe, and bawling my eyes out because I was in excruciating pain.

Here's a rundown of things that happened while I was there (TW for CSA)

I spent most of my time there drawing, talking with my other inmates, being talked down to and made fun of by nurses for things I don't remember, being hit and spit on by those same nurses for more things that I also don't remember clearly,

and witnessing a psychiatrist r*pe my roommate and later being held down and drugged after I ran down the hall screaming for help, repeating over and over again that he's hurting her, she's bleeding, etc.

I still want to cry thinking about it. I tried telling anyone I could including my mom after the fact, but no one "important" believed me.

My mom reported it, but I guess nothing ever came of it.. Her word as well as my own meant nothing to an institution so rich it could own us all.

It hurts so fucking much to think about bc I went through that kind of abuse too, but by a family member at a much younger age. I never told anyone about what happened to me at the time, which I guess factored into no one believing me here.

I don't know, but I know it's partially my fault for being so useless.

I couldn't speak a coherent sentence if my life depended on it and I was likely screaming in what sounded like gibberish bc I was so scared of someone else having to go through what I had just years prior.

My own sa was still fresh in my mind and yet it's like they expected me to keep my composure and calmly tell someone what was going on at fucking 9 years old?!?

And no one cared, because I was hysterical, unreliable, a child, and above all else, mentally ill.

And my personhood as a mentally ill individual has and will always be, mere suggestion, never will it be a right set in stone as it should.

So long as psych wards and the many systems and institutions that enable/perpetuate that kind of abuse exist, we will never be considered people under the "law" and our words will be twisted and used against us for as long as we are alive.

I don't think I can explain all my hospitalizations in detail, I feel too sick to do so and quite frankly, I'm tired and I'd probably vomit if I did.

I'm open to the idea that I was simply unlucky with where I ended up staying,,

But don't you find it at least a liiittle strange that nearly all the wards I've been placed in had numerous lawsuits, and sometimes even ongoing investigations against them for abuse, and yet were STILL allowed to take in more patients??

I guess that's the power of insurance money ahahaha!!! There are no consequences for the rich!! LMAO! Haha! Works as intended :,]]]]
EAT THE RICH

I'll end this off by saying this,
Psych wards are glorified prisons and they serve the same purpose of profit over rehabilitation much like the prison industrial complex.

They aren't meant to help you, they're meant to be so painful and isolating so you never want to come back again. Ask any nurse this and they will confirm this to be the case, hell, sometimes they'll state this outright even without being prompted.

This line of thinking is flawed because deterrence does not work in the case of both crime and mental illness because it fails to address the underlying causes of said issues!!

And if the underlying cause still remains, no amount of anything short of luck will keep that person out of a psych ward or a prison!! It's such a childish way to view the world..

How nurses, police officers, and even the average person fail to comprehend something so simple and easy that I, someone who has only been an adult for a half a year, speaks volumes to the failure of the American education system and this is all coming from a highschool dropout of all things!
(Which you likely surmised due to how blatantly horrible my punctuation is, the sheer volume of run on sentences written here, and just generally by the way I speak/word things, it's obvious lol)

I'm not even smart, I'm really fucking stupid! I just happen to have a cool lil device in my ass pocket that grants me access to numerous studies,
and detailed critiques of our systems that when combined, help me better understand the world around me and form my own conclusions separate from the things I've read/studied.

That's all you need to avoid being a grossly ignorant thing that blindly justifies systematic oppression and abuse really!

Or you know, use your fucking eyes for once yeah? Istg I hate the people in my life for making me feel like the abuse I saw and experienced in psych wards was my fault for being there in the first place… it makes me fucking sick!!

Psych wards make me fucking sick.. everything about it just makes me feel so helpless,,

Like it's an inescapable void that sucks us dry and leaves us all to rot as empty husks that are too frail to ever truly thrive.

We're forced into living on the very cusp of life and death because killing us outright would deprive it of its core sustenance.

And you know what?

It would be nice to not be dehumanized for once, but I learned the hard way that's apparently too much to ask!

I've been told that if something happens enough times, you'll eventually get used to it, but I don't think I can and that's why I'm here right now, on this forum typing this all out.

L

Lostandlooking

In limbo
Jul 23, 2020
Thank you for sharing your story. This needs to be heard. And I'm sorry for all the awful things you had to go through. You are very eloquent and insightful about what's wrong with mental health services and hospitalization. Drop out or not, you communicate very clearly and I don't see anything wrong with they way you write.

People would rather stay ignorant than open their eyes. They tell themselves they would never end up in such a horrible situation because it scares them. Confrontation with things that are truly truly horrible can then only be met with dismissal, denial and consequently abuse.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Spades and Kit1
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

She wished that she never existed...
Sep 24, 2020
That really is so horrifying, it disgusts me how some humans just create so much harm and suffering.

• Hugs
Reactions: Spades and Kit1
K

Kit1

Enlightened
Oct 24, 2023
Dear Spades,

Thank you for taking the time to write this up - especially if you found it triggering further and the pain that goes with it. You explained everything so well and spoke up for many people who have been abused by mental health teams, medics, psychiatric units, police, people in a power of position with so called safeguarding responsibilities etc. More often than not, these are abusive places and I have never heard of one positive experience from anyone who has ended up there.

However what I found heartbreaking the most if the negative language that you have used in relation to yourself - such as "I don't know but it is partially my fault for being so useless" - you were a child and you yourself had been abused and remember that none ofnthis was your fault and you were brave in speaking up and telling your mother about what had been done to the other child. The world spends time giving us a hard time - please don't do that to yourself. You have suffered enough as a child who had been abused both sexually and by the systems that are supposed to be there to look after people who are vulnerable (but have also turned out to be aggressors).

Please try and be kind to yourself. Most of us here are with you and I am sorry for all the pain that has been unleashed on you causing untold suffering. If anything, we'll done for speaking up fornyourself and all of us affected by this brutal system.

Sendjng you lots of good wishes and hugs. Take care.

• Love
Reactions: Spades
Spades

Spades

he/him
Jul 7, 2023
Thank you for sharing your story. This needs to be heard. And I'm sorry for all the awful things you had to go through. You are very eloquent and insightful about what's wrong with mental health services and hospitalization. Drop out or not, you communicate very clearly and I don't see anything wrong with they way you write.

People would rather stay ignorant than open their eyes. They tell themselves they would never end up in such a horrible situation because it scares them. Confrontation with things that are truly truly horrible can then only be met with dismissal, denial and consequently abuse.
That really is so horrifying, it disgusts me how some humans just create so much harm and suffering.
Dear Spades,

Thank you for taking the time to write this up - especially if you found it triggering further and the pain that goes with it. You explained everything so well and spoke up for many people who have been abused by mental health teams, medics, psychiatric units, police, people in a power of position with so called safeguarding responsibilities etc. More often than not, these are abusive places and I have never heard of one positive experience from anyone who has ended up there.

However what I found heartbreaking the most if the negative language that you have used in relation to yourself - such as "I don't know but it is partially my fault for being so useless" - you were a child and you yourself had been abused and remember that none ofnthis was your fault and you were brave in speaking up and telling your mother about what had been done to the other child. The world spends time giving us a hard time - please don't do that to yourself. You have suffered enough as a child who had been abused both sexually and by the systems that are supposed to be there to look after people who are vulnerable (but have also turned out to be aggressors).

Please try and be kind to yourself. Most of us here are with you and I am sorry for all the pain that has been unleashed on you causing untold suffering. If anything, we'll done for speaking up fornyourself and all of us affected by this brutal system.

Sendjng you lots of good wishes and hugs. Take care.
Thank you everyone for your kind words,, it means more than I could ever describe to finally have my pain validated for once..

It made my morning slightly less shitty to wake up and be immediately met with kindness and understanding,,

This is my first time talking about this experience to anyone other than my mom in full detail, so I really, really do appreciate it even though I'm unsure of how to respond to each of you individually!

I know that it wasn't my fault logically, and that I was just a child who was powerless to do anything in that situation, but I still can't help but feel at least partially guilty despite knowing how irrational it is to think that.

Just my mind doin' what it does best I suppose..

Regardless! Thank you all for reading my ramblings! :,)

hi-okbye

hi-okbye

7.7.2023<3
May 5, 2023
I'm so fucking sorry for everything you've been through. Truly. Nothing will ever make it okay, but if it means anything in the slightest, I see it wasn't your fault. Most of us do, and I'm sorry you had to go through that.

I've been put in two phyc wards in my life. They were considered the best ones in my state, and they were still pretty bad.
It wasn't as bad as what you've been through, but I can back you up on still never wanting to go there again. I'll just list some of the things that happened to me during my stays at the hospital/ward, just to prove your point even more.

- I was undressed during unconscious, without any consent whatsoever. I wouldn't even have been told if I never realized I was in a completely different set of clothes than I was originally. I never want to talk about it because whenever I do people just say "they did what they needed to do and it was your fault for getting yourself in that situation".
- I watched one of my friend physically get picked up, and thrown down in the hospital. She was just arguing with another person, separating them was enough that didn't need to happen.
- the fact that it's even allowed for nurses to watch patients when they undress or shower or anything. personally I heard this during my stay when I was a teen, and to hear that was shocking. I didn't even want to be there in the first place.
- the sheer rudeness of nurses and staff. The amount of times I got yelled at and stuff for just trying to exist. I remember a specific week all the nurses specifically chose ME to pick on and yell at. Several times a day, for doing literally nothing wrong, standing in the halls, talking to someone else, etc. nothing i wasn't supposed to. They would make me cry, as if that's supposed to help me.
- I've had nurses (male) walk into my room as I'm changing. They're supposed to knock before they come in, they never did. I heard similar stories from people around me.
- I got my room changed 6 times in 2 weeks (just something random I thought to add) as well as the fact that I got completely locked into my room for two days straight. They wouldn't let me out at all, I was given nothing to do.
- I was going insaine, quite litterally. The time I stayed there for 2 weeks, I was loosing my mind. I would pace back and forth in my 6x7 foot room at most hundreds of times per day because I wasn't allowed to go anywhere, do anything. They were supposed to let us take walks outside every day, only once did they take people out for a walk out of 2 weeks. That single time, they didn't allow me to go because I was being "rude and disobedient to staff". People were getting on my nerves I wasn't showering for days in fear that I would be put on suicide watch, and be forced to have a nurse watch me shower.

There are probably more things that my brain blocked out because it just does that with traumatic things. The point of this isn't to compare how bad my situation was to yours, because it can't compare and again I'm so sorry you ever had to go through the things you did. You never deserved that.
This is to show that even the TOP WARDS OF THE STATE, were still complete shit. If anything I felt more suicidal after leaving. "Treating and helping mentally ill" is not their goal, it's just to lock them away and push them to the side.

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
That's so horrifying and psych wards are indeed horrible places especially for people who weren't there on their own volition (voluntary). The amount of trauma on top of hefty hospital bills and all the horrible social consequences (lives can be ruined just from incarceration alone) is just astronomical. I do agree with your analogy to how psych wards are glorified prisons, because that's essentially what they are; instead of the legal system with jails (detention centers, correctional facilities) and prisons, it is similar due to the carceral nature of them. People are essentially treated like invalids, children, and those who cannot make decisions for themselves and is rather just insulting towards people who just simply don't belong there. Also, yes the legal and justice system works in tandem with the psychiatric and medical industry such that it is disgusting and vile.

I hope you will find the peace you are looking for whatever decision you decide to make. :hug:

Reactions: Spades