O

OverTheRainbow

Feb 7, 2019
Please someone talk to me... I think I'm emotionally attached to someone who's emotionally abusive but I don't know if that's right ...

He is off and on with me in the relationship, claims he's always treading water around eggshells with me even though I tried really hard to take his criticisms on board and become better. He acts in way that make me feel incredibly insecure and if I show I'm upset he makes me feel bad like I'm hurting him or I'm crazy... He's barely nice to me, only sometimes, and he with holds complimenting me as much as he can. We are both very passionate storytellers and today I finished my script for my personal project. I was so nervous, he knew how nervous I was showing it... And he read it and he said he 'liked it' but then gave a massive list tearing it apart, saying how the main character wasn't good, the conflict wasn't good and the characters had no room to grow and everything was awkward. It hurt a lot because he didn't actually say anything he liked. I told him and he took a screenshot of that small sentence saying 'i like it' but to me it felt like he was just saying that... He got angry with me and now he's ghosting me. I got his criticisms, I really did... It just hurt that he wasn't saying anything nice and I had to really force him. I felt s bit like he was tearing me down... Now he's probably sick of me because I'm too sensitive and now I want to apologise but I genuinely don't know if I'm being the jerk here... I've just been lying on my bed, pills next to me, thinking of taking an overdose right now because I am so defeated. I don't care if it hurts. I just want to die. My project obviously sucks, I don't know why I bothered...

O

Outofhope

Feb 19, 2021
I really feel for you here, I'm totally in love with someone who acts similar. The emotional pressure you're under is probably very intense.

It might be easier said than done, but try not to base the whole scripts worth off one persons opinion. I know you probably value their opinion more than others, that's why it hurts.

I hope you don't overdose. Maybe if you feel like you can, maybe you should be the one to take the 'next break' and call it off, rather than him and see if you feel any better taking back part of your life.

S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
@OverTheRainbow If you share your script with me, I will give an honest, unbiased review / opinion (I won't share it with anyone if you do). Your ex's criticism doesn't sound very constructive.

ODing on the pills is reactionary, because someone didn't appreciate your work. That's a sample size of 1. If you get two positive reviews, your project would be a success!

Reactions: LittleBabyNothing, IHaveNoName and x~Sophia~x
x~Sophia~x

x~Sophia~x

Always give 100% - unless you’re donating blood.
Sep 10, 2020
@OverTheRainbow - you know this relationship is toxic, don't you???
Get out as quick as you can!
That's my only advice.

O

OverTheRainbow

Feb 7, 2019
It's a pilot for a kid's show, I really like cartoons and I really want to write them. It's long, needs a lot of trimming and the dialogue is pretty rough but if you want to read it that would be really nice...

It really really isn't that I wasn't taking what he said on board, it's just... The fact he didn't point out a single thing he liked until I really pressed him was just hurtful. Then when I said why I was hurt he just got angry at me, saying 'I thought you wanted to have a discussion about your project but evidently that's not the case' saying he just wanted me to say it way amazing, which really wasn't the case... It was just so hard showing him... He knew that...
Thing is I really can't tell of I'm the unreasonable one or not in these situations...

S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
@OverTheRainbow any critique would be sorely lacking if it only focused on the negative. Also, a critique should offer concise, not vague suggestions for improvement.

And no, you're not being unreasonable. This is not some stranger reading your work, it's someone you used to be in a relationship with. He should take your feelings into consideration, and work with you. Making you feel bad / insecure is a dickhead move. Sorry, had to say it.

O

OverTheRainbow

Feb 7, 2019
He said he 'liked it' but that was it. Like he just wanted to get that out of the way to rio into it...

He has his own project and I was always really supportive and encouraging with it. I really do like it and I helped him with it a lot. He... Just didn't seem to give me that back :(

O

OverTheRainbow

Feb 7, 2019
I think I'm gonna do it..
I don't care if it hurts..
Bye..

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Life_and_Death