Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I came across this article the other day and thought I'd share. A team of experts have taken the time to recreate the likeness of a girl that died at a young age from an incurable disease. They even modeled a park after one the mother and daughter would visit. I can only imagine the feelings this poor mother had when she saw the finished VR "product."

I'm sure it won't be long until a company starts making these VR simulations on a commercial level. I'm curious what you guys think of this. Would you want to visit a VR version of your deceased loved one? Would you want something like this to be made of yourself after you've passed? Do you think this raises any moral or ethical questions?

Article -

• Wow
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, LastFlowers, Fragile and 1 other person
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Like in Harry Potter's Mirror of Erised where it shows your deepest desire but instead it be like a memory of your loved one and you played over and over. One can never move on from their mourning or grief, but only sink deeper into what they want and get lost in the process. I wouldn't want a VR likeness of myself after I die.

• Love
Reactions: Shadowrider, LastFlowers, Brink and 1 other person
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
I've seen this before. I really don't know how to feel about this, not only about the morality of it, but also about the effects on the psyche of people who experience this kind of recreation.

I remember tearing up a bit when I fist saw it, not from her reaction to seeing her daughter, or when she tried to hold her, it was when they showed her outside of this dream that they created. The greenscreen behind a mother interacting with a ghost is something that I find deeply disturbing, something uncanny in a level that I can't even describe.

There is no way for us to predict how this will affect some people, I'm sure that some may find some level of closure, but I can also imagine that some people will be unable to live after what they saw, regardless of how magical and well intentioned it is. grief is different for everyone after all.

Needless to say, I wouldn't want this to be made after I'm gone. Unless I knew with absolute certainty that it will help my family in a meaningful way.

Reactions: KleinerWolf and LastFlowers
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
Please god no. Under no circumstances would I want anyone to recreate my "likeness" in any way, especially considering the main point of me killing myself is to escape this ugly shell, so that's the LAST thing I want immortalized. (Pictures and videos are bad enough, something I'm getting rid of before I end it, damn shame I'll have to destroy memories in the process of destroying pics/vids that cause me distress and could be used after I'm dead, against my wishes. I don't trust anyone enough with my requests. Though I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who cared about the memories attached to them anyways. Besides my mother.)
So yea..Jesus fuck, no thank you.

Anyhow, without our mind inhabiting it, it's not really us, there's no point and I think it will do more harm than good for a lot of people. Sounds like something one would have to agree to before they die, and be of the age and mind to consent to such, otherwise it does indeed raise several moral and ethical questions and concerns.
That one Black Mirror episode comes to mind. Also, I'm rewatching "The Leftovers" right now and this reminds me of a sick scheme (albeit more tangible than VR) that occurs in the first season of the series, won't say as not to spoil it for people who haven't seen it, but if you have..you know what I'm talking about.

As for the other side of things, if I would want a simulation of a loved one? No.
Even if I had a longing and a need for some type of 'closure' I did not receive, I think it would be bad for me. I also believe it does a disservice to the person who died. I think it's wrong. I would have to remind myself that it would be a farce and it's better to hold onto the memories of the real person, rather than sully and dilute them with some kind of virtual after-image.

Reactions: stygal, Shadowrider and Fragile
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
It would be just another, more advanced substitute for real human connection and another step in the total replacement of human company with chatbots. Instead of making the journey through grief with living people at their side they'd be immersed in make-believe with a fake digital ghost that has no personhood and can never feel anything for you.

Edit: I think a good analogy to AI is vegetarian patty. It's sort of like the real thing, but not quite, and if it's the real thing you want, you won't quite be satisfied.

Last edited:
Reactions: Élégie and GenesAndEnvironment
waived

waived

I am a sunrise
Jan 5, 2019
Tbth sometimes I crossfade and visit the dead on google maps street view and visit old neighborhoods and the countryside listening to seasonal sounds and music from the times. I think flirting with the boundaries of memory and perception is cool. I want to remember my friends and lovers.