ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
Some interesting ideas posed, though I'm not sure if I agree with everything:

RealLostSoul

RealLostSoul

once rock bottom, always rock bottom
Oct 11, 2019
gonna watch the vid later but my thoughts are that i MIGHT be able to get to happiness THROUGH money. i am never happy, no materialistic object can give me that trait, however, you might be able to get a stable and positive life throughout the effects of having an income to buy stuff that WILL change your life. i am looking at one specific thing that i am going to mention in a later post.

ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
gonna watch the vid later but my thoughts are that i MIGHT be able to get to happiness THROUGH money. i am never happy, no materialistic object can give me that trait, however, you might be able to get a stable and positive life throughout the effects of having an income to buy stuff that WILL change your life. i am looking at one specific thing that i am going to mention in a later post.
Certainly one needs enough money to put a roof over one's head (could be a basic accomodations) and food on the table. If one goes without enough $$ to do that, then life slowly kills from the inside out, from the soul to one's health until physical death.

Last edited:
Reactions: c824767 and Death.
Moonicide

Moonicide

ᴘʜᴀꜱᴇꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴏɴ
Nov 19, 2019
Money would fix a lot of my problems, but I'd still mentally ill. Just a mentally ill individual with more options and money. Which is way better than being broke... Even then I think I'd ctb eventually. Definitely won't live to see the elderly years. Do not want to get to the point where I can barely take care of myself when I'm already struggling to do so at a young age.

Reactions: mediocre and Numbtopain97
Soulless_Angel

Soulless_Angel

existence is futile
Jul 10, 2019
having money can put you on a better path, but it will never change the past the hell you have walked, the memories, the flashbacks, the scars physical and mental, they will always be with you,
The only thing that the money could buy is the best therapy in the world to try and make you heal, but I think that too is a dead end path

S

Santiago

Mage
Mar 25, 2018
I am no Bill Gates, but I definitely got to a point where I am very privileged and don't have to worry about money.

I come from a place where I slept in some dodgy van with hardly having any food and I genuinely can't tell you if I feel any happier.

Yes people will argue I could afford things I couldn't back then and that I have it easy to not having to worry about certain things, but it simply doesn't make a difference on your actual happiness. No matter how wealthy you are, you will take whatever you have for granted even when you had it worse in the past.

It's in our nature that we will always strive for more.

If somebody took your bed today you will dream of having a bed and be jealous of everyone who has one. If you then get your bed back you will appreciate that comfort for like a day before moving on to dreaming about a king size bed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jojo81, Science Is Scary and Misanthrope
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
I lack the concentration to watch that video currently. However my personal view is that money gives you choice not happiness. You can use that choice to protect yourself from things that would be harder to deal with. You can also use that money to pursue what is personally fulfilling. But that only helps guard against pragmatic problems, it does not necessarily help with more abstract ones. As some things we need just can't be bought. But it is not guaranteed happiness to have it, otherwise billionaires would not be offing themselves still. Not having money puts you more at the mercy of what would have been minor stressors becoming quite serious and that can snowball. It also limits your choice with how you can manage your problems and can make pursuing your own fulfilment harder, especially if it requires some start up. Or access to a service you can't afford.

• Love
Reactions: Fadinglife, Johnnythefox, Science Is Scary and 2 others
ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
having money can put you on a better path, but it will never change the past the hell you have walked, the memories, the flashbacks, the scars physical and mental, they will always be with you,
I can certainly attest to that. One carries all that shit like luggage.

The only thing that the money could buy is the best therapy in the world to try and make you heal, but I think that too is a dead end path
Because "therapy" is a dubious science at best, so it's a tricky thing.

OneBigBlur

OneBigBlur

Experienced
Nov 30, 2019
If you gave me a billion dollars I'd still kill myself. All of the green paper in the world means nothing if you don't have someone that loves you. Though sometimes I wonder if there even is such a thing because even love is marred by money.

Reactions: MeltingHeart
MeltingHeart

MeltingHeart

Visionary
Sep 9, 2019
I haven't watched the video yet. Money has been a huge factor on all the stresses of my life-homelessness at a very young age, disordered eating- due to sometimes not being able to afford food, my education suffered as I struggled so much during this time, it's even been hard to get jobs- when I didn't even have a phone, couldn't afford to travel, didn't have the right clothes to wear for certain roles, certain hobbies I couldn't persue, strain on relationships, couldn't do many activities my friends were doing- which they always found so hard to understand. Constant underlining anxiety, no sense of a safety net. If I'd had even 2k (or way less) to my name 10 years it might have saved my life, now I could be a millionaire & it wouldn't change a thing.

O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
You have to have money to live in this greedy capitalistic world. Better to have it and be able to eliminate SOME stressors than not. Nobody would actually turn financial security down if they are honest. Doesn't mean it will solve their entire set of issues...but its a big part. It would literally save my life right now...even though that life could never be amazing...it would allow me to live. I will die because my health was stolen for money....systems denied me money....family turned their back over money....so fuck anyone saying "money doesnt matter". It sure matters when you doin't have enough and no matter what people say that's a fact for all.

Reactions: Numbtopain97, Worthless_nobody and MeltingHeart
MeltingHeart

MeltingHeart

Visionary
Sep 9, 2019
You have to have money to live in this greedy capitalistic world. Better to have it and be able to eliminate SOME stressors than not. Nobody would actually turn financial security down if they are honest. Doesn't mean it will solve their entire set of issues...but its a big part. It would literally save my life right now...even though that life could never be amazing...it would allow me to live. I will die because my health was stolen for money....systems denied me money....family turned their back over money....so fuck anyone saying "money doesnt matter". It sure matters when you doin't have enough and no matter what people say that's a fact for all.
Only people that have never experienced a lack of it-say it doesnt matter!!

Reactions: Numbtopain97, Worthless_nobody and oopswronglife
O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
It's in our nature that we will always strive for more.

If somebody took your bed today you will dream of having a bed and be jealous of everyone who has one. If you then get your bed back you will appreciate that comfort for like a day before moving on to dreaming about a king size bed.

This is not true. Greed and materialism are chosen behaviors, not human nature you cannot avoid and that's an excuse. Plenty of cultures and societies are and have been cooperative and not about individual wealth and power. I want everyone to have basic human needs and equality. I don't want more or bigger or luxury and if I was wealthy I'd not have fancy cars or clothes or a mansion and even when I DID have a reasonably secure life I lived below my means and never bought flashy things for my ego. The people I respect in this world are the same, and stuff and ego doesn't run their life. I don't want a King size bed...I want a warm and comfortable bed I am assured to have. I want others to have that too. I am not jealous of THINGS rich people have. I am jealous of their life security and angry they allow others to suffer when they could help, but those king sized beds in every room matter more than life.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Worthless_nobody, jgm63 and MeltingHeart
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Some interesting ideas posed, though I'm not sure if I agree with everything:

Thank you for this video. I was just looking for something to watch and this should work fine. I'll update with my thoughts on it afterwards if I can remember to do so

Reactions: ManWithNoName
S

Santiago

Mage
Mar 25, 2018
This is not true. Greed and materialism are chosen behaviors, not human nature you cannot avoid and that's an excuse. Plenty of cultures and societies are and have been cooperative and not about individual wealth and power. I want everyone to have basic human needs and equality. I don't want more or bigger or luxury and if I was wealthy I'd not have fancy cars or clothes or a mansion and even when I DID have a reasonably secure life I lived below my means and never bought flashy things for my ego. The people I respect in this world are the same, and stuff and ego doesn't run their life. I don't want a King size bed...I want a warm and comfortable bed I am assured to have. I want others to have that too. I am not jealous of THINGS rich people have. I am jealous of their life security and angry they allow others to suffer when they could help, but those king sized beds in every room matter more than life.

It was an analogy….

Completely missed the point.
Only people that have never experienced a lack of it-say it doesnt matter!!

Wrong. If anything the people who have lived both sides say it doesn't matter.

You can always feel free to ask Chester Bennington, Anthony Bourdain, Avicii or any other celebrity that seemed to have it all if they were happy. Wait...

By all means though if dreaming of being rich makes you happy then go for it. At least you will be able to wipe your tears with some bills and perhaps you could even afford some fancy rope to hang yourself. Good luck!

Last edited:
O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
By all means though if dreaming of being rich makes you happy then go for it.

Again you have ignored what people really want...security and the financial stresses you apparently no longer have to be eliminated. Nobody said money BUYS happiness. Money clears away the primary stressors everyone has to deal with and allows you to live if that is possible barring other reasons. We aren't dreaming of being "rich"...we are dreaming of not fearing having nowhere to live, being able to afford medical care, not having to pass on prescriptions like I did this week, hoping you get away with not being worse from it, because the price was insane and half this country thinks thats the best system on Earth because THEY are doing fine or hate social ideas so much they punish everyone, being able to replace things you have had and taken care of for years or more when they break, not being trapped in other people's hells because they hold financial power over you. If you HAVE been poor too then you should get that and have empathy with those who still are. Just because even with wealth your life sucks doesn't mean money wouldn't help anyone. You are punching down from a self admitted position of privilege.

Last edited:
Reactions: Worthless_nobody and MeltingHeart
MeltingHeart

MeltingHeart

Visionary
Sep 9, 2019
It was an analogy….

Completely missed the point.

Wrong. If anything the people who have lived both sides say it doesn't matter.

You can always feel free to ask Chester Bennington, Anthony Bourdain, Avicii or any other celebrity that seemed to have it all if they were happy. Wait...

By all means though if dreaming of being rich makes you happy then go for it. At least you will be able to wipe your tears with some bills and perhaps you could even afford some fancy rope to hang yourself. Good luck!

Huh?! woahhhh you totallyyyy missed my point. At no point did I say being rich makes you happy, I have never ever thought that and will never think that. But I can see this could go round in circles. I totally get yr bed analogy for some people, many people in fact, and lots of people I know also say something along these lines-like they earn more-but then their whole lives change to adapt to having that money-like they rent bigger flats that cost more etc-so they still kinda feel they need more money-or want more all the time etc, but I dont think it applies to me, i dunno maybe im just not very ambitous or something-but I really feel my needs would have reached an end point.

Reactions: Worthless_nobody
O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
i dunno maybe im just not very ambitous or something-but I really feel my needs would have reached an end point.

I am the same...materialism and luxury and status just doesn't appeal to me. Basic comforts and needs sure, but I have no interest in keeping up with the Joneses or chasing some dopamine rush with "stuff" and "appearance". For me it's all about safety and freedom. Lack of fear that some artificial paper in an artificial border will end my life...as it is right now. I've known plenty of people with views like ours...some mentors...so it's not "how everyone is" as he claims. I even knew a filthy rich guy when I was a teenager who worked in some menial park job, drove a beat up old car, you would have never known he was wealthy. He spent it making sure his loved ones were safe, and helping people, he didn't brag or bring it up. I knew him for a year or so before the rumor got to me and I asked him if it was true. People always seem to be looking for justification for their own feelings and think "its how everyone is" so they don't feel as bad. My racist family is like this...they literally will say everyone is a racist but they just aren't courageous enough to admit it...and even more ridiculous is they think they are better people than us others for being "honest" about it.

lowres

lowres

Scum
Feb 9, 2019
Honestly I do not believe anyone needs a buttload of millions, like even most of the millions that go to most charities line some rich assholes pockets instead. but if i had enough money to be able have the resources time to persue all of my artistic dreams my life would seem much less bleak (I'd also like to travel and use my resources to help problems in person). regardless of that im still gonna work towards my set goal unless i fuck up and spiral beyond comeback and see no other option besides ctb.

MeltingHeart

MeltingHeart

Visionary
Sep 9, 2019
I am the same...materialism and luxury and status just doesn't appeal to me. Basic comforts and needs sure, but I have no interest in keeping up with the Joneses or chasing some dopamine rush with "stuff" and "appearance". For me it's all about safety and freedom. Lack of fear that some artificial paper in an artificial border will end my life...as it is right now. I've known plenty of people with views like ours...some mentors...so it's not "how everyone is" as he claims. I even knew a filthy rich guy when I was a teenager who worked in some menial park job, drove a beat up old car, you would have never known he was wealthy. He spent it making sure his loved ones were safe, and helping people, he didn't brag or bring it up. I knew him for a year or so before the rumor got to me and I asked him if it was true. People always seem to be looking for justification for their own feelings and think "its how everyone is" so they don't feel as bad. My racist family is like this...they literally will say everyone is a racist but they just aren't courageous enough to admit it...and even more ridiculous is they think they are better people than us others for being "honest" about it.
Yeah i feel the same as yourself-what u say at the start about yourself-Also do agree not everyone does-but on that I do also no people that constantly want more-or dont realise how their wealth affords them more safety and freedom, like one friend I had for example earned over 60k, I was on about £8, she was trying to tell me that our money woes were essentially equal-because since she was earning so much she moved to an expensive city, got a bigger apartment, got a dog (all of which she chose to do), she said she has to buy the designer clothes to keep up friends and look good for work, and also she had to eat out in expensive places as not her circle of people did- Yet when i could barely make rent, let alone eat or buy a new outfit once a season- instead of just being a little sympathetic- she was like 'oh yeah' 'same here''-kinda the same thing cos i might earn more-but my whole lifes cost more-so it works out the same at the end of the day'- I kinda thought WTF?!

S

Santiago

Mage
Mar 25, 2018
Again you have ignored what people really want...security and the financial stresses you apparently no longer have to be eliminated. Nobody said money BUYS happiness. Money clears away the primary stressors everyone has to deal with and allows you to live if that is possible barring other reasons. We aren't dreaming of being "rich"...we are dreaming of not fearing having nowhere to live, being able to afford medical care, not having to pass on prescriptions like I did this week, hoping you get away with not being worse from it, because the price was insane and half this country thinks thats the best system on Earth because THEY are doing fine or hate social ideas so much they punish everyone, being able to replace things you have had and taken care of for years or more when they break, not being trapped in other people's hells because they hold financial power over you. If you HAVE been poor too then you should get that and have empathy with those who still are. Just because even with wealth your life sucks doesn't mean money wouldn't help anyone. You are punching down from a self admitted position of privilege.

The main topic was the link between money and HAPPINESS. Nobody ever said money doesn't help make life easier.

Saying money would provide you happiness by clearing away the stress related to primary needs is exactly the same as saying money buys you happiness.

That is if you link happiness to not having to worry about those primary things. To me that link doesn't exist.

To say I look down on poor people because I got out of my own situation is absolutely ridiculous. We simply have a disagreement over what it means to be happy.

Not having to stress is not the same as being happy at all. Out of all places, I thought a suicide forum would know.

D

dumdumdedum

Dec 2, 2019
i made a bunch of money a while back. it let me live for a few years without the insane stressors of having to make ends meet every month, coming up with rent, etc. shit was cash. when that stress is lifted, you kinda sorta forget after a while how terrible it really is. not to mention, how these stressors can significantly drag someone depressed even further.

HOWEVER. it did not lift me out of my depression. and i used my money for it all: psychiatry, psychotherapy, medication, "healing" with tuning forks, soothsayers, exercise, diet changes, good organic locavore food, meditation, qi gong, yoga, herbs, drugs. and here i am, with you, on this board, waiting to ctb.

so yes, money helps a lot. everyone should make some money, for you will realize once you have it, that in the end, it doesn't even matter.

• Hugs
Reactions: MeltingHeart
O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
Once and argument devolves into semantics and trying to be "technically correct" about words it has already been lost and has becomes about the act of arguing rather than the issue. That's where I step out.

• Aww..
Reactions: Circles and Santiago
S

Santiago

Mage
Mar 25, 2018
i made a bunch of money a while back. it let me live for a few years without the insane stressors of having to make ends meet every month, coming up with rent, etc. shit was cash. when that stress is lifted, you kinda sorta forget after a while how terrible it really is. not to mention, how these stressors can significantly drag someone depressed even further.

HOWEVER. it did not lift me out of my depression. and i used my money for it all: psychiatry, psychotherapy, medication, "healing" with tuning forks, soothsayers, exercise, diet changes, good organic locavore food, meditation, qi gong, yoga, herbs, drugs. and here i am, with you, on this board, waiting to ctb.

so yes, money helps a lot. everyone should make some money, for you will realize once you have it, that in the end, it doesn't even matter.

Perfect example of what I meant, thank you. The part in bold fits my analogy.

C

c824767

Specialist
Sep 2, 2019
Certainly one needs enough money to put a roof over one's head (could be a basic accomodations) and food on the table. If one goes without enough $$ to do that, then life slowly kills from the inside out, from the soul to one's health until physical death.
This is why we need a living wage for all the dejected denizens of this planet. I thought we were on the way to achieving that in the 70s but someone put a spanner in the wheel I wish we had their names. They are killing us all, making us homeless and destitute in our minds while trillions are in tax havens, and the oh so promising trickle-down effect of capitalism never happened.
Perfect example of what I meant, thank you. The part in bold fits my analogy.
OMG you got sucked in by capitalist "healers".

S

Santiago

Mage
Mar 25, 2018
This is why we need a living wage for all the dejected denizens of this planet. I thought we were on the way to achieving that in the 70s but someone put a spanner in the wheel I wish we had their names. They are killing us all, making us homeless and destitute in our minds while trillions are in tax havens, and the oh so promising trickle-down effect of capitalism never happened.

OMG you got sucked in by capitalist "healers".

Capitalist healers? Elaborate please

Reactions: c824767
D

dumdumdedum

Dec 2, 2019
i have seen this gotten progessively worse. any number of new age quacks out there peddling crystals, qi, reiki, yoga, you name it. i had a tuning fork healer tell me "432 Hz is a Nazi conspiracy", etc.

when reality goes to shit, one turns to woo.

Reactions: c824767, Misanthrope and MeltingHeart
MeltingHeart

MeltingHeart

Visionary
Sep 9, 2019
From a totally personal (my own life) type thing/ point of view, I dont think money can BUY happiness but for me when i consider the entire picture of my life, my struggles with it (lack of it) are ultimately why I will be ctb. There are times in my life when even £200-300 would have saved me in certain situations, avoiding really bad experiences and now left with horrible memories. If over the last say 10 years I had earnt even £10 more an hour for even half the days-my entire life would have been less stressful and again I would have been able to avoid really awful situations, that caused me so much anxiety. If i hadnt had so many constant money woes over the years (ive always worked-often 2/3jobs at once) I know I would still want to live right now-and wouldnt even be on here.

Last edited:
Reactions: c824767 and Skyview