• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Accentuate the Positive
Sep 19, 2023
I've never been one to SH. I don't want marks or permanent scars that will draw questions. I'm starting to think I practice a type of mental/emotional SH. Is that a thing? Anyone else?

Reactions: psp3000
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
I think this is a thing
it can be in multiple forms/carried out in different ways

I can't think of many of them but here's an example that comes to mind because I think myself and many others are guilty of this probably

intentionally looking at content online or any type of media that will make you feel depressed, suicidal, angry, etc. or will encourage you to do things that may be harmful to yourself

• Hugs
Reactions: DefinitelyReady, jar-baby, YandereMikuMistress and 1 other person
lamargue

lamargue

pugilist
Jun 5, 2024
used to self-harm a long time ago which left pretty bad scars on my arm. the release that came from self-harm is still pretty ingrained in my mind, so i'm not sure if there is any mental/emotional equivalent. the self-hatred though for sure is characteristic of self-harm. i actively pursue things which normally make me very depressed purely out of spite for myself. but mental/emotional self-harm is a day-to-day occurrence, whereas my previous physical self-harm came from periods of emotional collapse

• Hugs
Reactions: psp3000 and derpyderpins
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Accentuate the Positive
Sep 19, 2023
I think this is a thing
it can be in multiple forms/carried out in different ways

I can't think of many of them but here's an example that comes to mind because I think myself and many others are guilty of this probably

intentionally looking at content online or any type of media that will make you feel depressed, suicidal, angry, etc. or will encourage you to do things that may be harmful to yourself
One common form I thought of. A classic that made me think of this is following your limerent object closely online. I remember all the way back to AIM pre-2010 waiting for them to get on and knowing they are talking to someone else. I see that a lot.

I will re-read a lot of depression-related posts. I say it's to calm myself, but maybe it's just self-torture.
used to self-harm a long time ago which left pretty bad scars on my arm. the release that came from self-harm is still pretty ingrained in my mind, so i'm not sure if there is any mental/emotional equivalent. the self-hatred though for sure is characteristic of self-harm. i actively pursue things which normally make me very depressed purely out of spite for myself. but mental/emotional self-harm is a day-to-day occurrence, whereas my previous physical self-harm came from periods of emotional collapse
That's true. Since I haven't really done normal SH I guess I don't understand the endorphin rush. Are there any common ways that don't leave marks?

• Informative
Reactions: DefinitelyReady and psp3000
lamargue

lamargue

pugilist
Jun 5, 2024
One common form I thought of. A classic that made me think of this is following your limerent object closely online. I remember all the way back to AIM pre-2010 waiting for them to get on and knowing they are talking to someone else. I see that a lot.

I will re-read a lot of depression-related posts. I say it's to calm myself, but maybe it's just self-torture.

That's true. Since I haven't really done normal SH I guess I don't understand the endorphin rush. Are there any common ways that don't leave marks?
after i became aware of the fact that my scars wouldn't heal, i began punching or slapping myself. it wasn't planned or anything, just fits of rage. i got tired of that after a while and now lack the energy to even raise my arm, let alone hit myself.

• Informative
Reactions: derpyderpins
DefinitelyReady

DefinitelyReady

Why, do the birds, go on singing??
Mar 14, 2024

Yay! You're older than I thought! You know aim... Although I never had anyone to talk to on aimšŸ™„...

• Yay!
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Accentuate the Positive
Sep 19, 2023
Yay! You're older than I thought! You know aim... Although I never had anyone to talk to on aimšŸ™„...
I'm early 30s lol I'm an old gray man compared to most here.

Reactions: DefinitelyReady
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I've had people say that feeling any sort of negative emotion at all is a form of self harm since according to them, everything is just a matter of attitude and so having a bad attitude is choosing to harm ourselves. Apparently we can just choose to be happy. I don't actually subscribe to this belief but if it were true then that's the kind of mental self harm I partake in. I also sabotage my own efforts a lot through laziness or by intentionally doing things I know will have bad consequences for me like purposefully choosing to eat something unhealthy.

derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Accentuate the Positive
Sep 19, 2023
I've had people say that feeling any sort of negative emotion at all is a form of self harm since according to them, everything is just a matter of attitude and so having a bad attitude is choosing to harm ourselves. Apparently we can just choose to be happy. I don't actually subscribe to this belief but if it were true then that's the kind of mental self harm I partake in. I also sabotage my own efforts a lot through laziness or by intentionally doing things I know will have bad consequences for me like purposefully choosing to eat something unhealthy.
People who have no mental health problems love to assume the answer is so easy because then they don't have to feel bad or question their own reality. It's also a power trip, 'life is bad but I beat it with my great attitude!'

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
DefinitelyReady

DefinitelyReady

Why, do the birds, go on singing??
Mar 14, 2024
Oooohhh, well then I CHOOSE to not be a miserable self-hating fuck today!! I CHOOSE to not accept my reality! I CHOOSE to help myself, to help myself!!

Nothing happened... now what? I said it 3x like Beetlejuice. Maybe it's like Candyman and I have to go do it in front of the mirror. Excuse me...
*walks away*
I've never been one to SH. I don't want marks or permanent scars that will draw questions. I'm starting to think I practice a type of mental/emotional SH. Is that a thing? Anyone else?
Self-sabotage I think definitely qualifies. There's mentally destructive as well as physically destructive. Doing physically destructive things is like, "Ow..." so I choose a mental bashing. Ironically I learned how to cut while being hospitalized at 12. Only I can see the little scar now. I remember one girl had a cast on her wrist. I a staff asking what happened and she said she was mad and punched a wall... The staff said something like "That was smart." and she replied, "... better than hitting someone's head." Even Janet Jackson said she used to hit her head as a kid. Sad stuff.
I tried that as a kid in the shower and my mom asked if I was okay because of the noise; I said I fell. My bad. Random drunken overshare. Tiredness weakens inhibitionšŸ˜“šŸ˜œ

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: psp3000, derpyderpins and Dr Iron Arc
M

melonrazor

Feb 4, 2024
self-sabotage. when i was still in school i would skip and do badly on exams. ignore my friends, my parents, lose connections, quit my job, anything that you know will change your daily routine for the worse. i cut myself and yes, the scars will stay with you especially if you get stitches. i live in shame now since my body is ruined forever.

• Aww..