• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Toxic Positivity

Toxic Positivity

At my own pace
Feb 11, 2022
As I move through recovery, and try to be a thinking person, lately I have a revulsion to low-effort memes (most memes) as a form of communication and as a way for friends to keep in touch.

There is a hard limit on the information that can be encoded into an image that fits on a phone screen, which, realistically, is the format of most memes. This encourages simplification of complex ideas to the point where they often become unrecognizable caricatures of themselves. VIbes and feelings are prioritized over any actual reasoning, for the most part, and appeals to humor become, inappropriately, the way to boil down concepts the likes of which, as mentioned, lose all of their contours in the process.

Normalize texting your friend a cool idea you had. Normalize sending them a photo of a cool cloud. I'll take almost anything at this point, as long as it comes from a person, and not a person behaving like a curation algorithm. We don't need anymore memes. I don't.

I guess where this ties into recovery is that, part of recovery is questioning everything that is default. Since I've been suicidal and negative for so long, many of my own core beliefs have become worth examination and adjustment, so this habit extends to much of the run-of-the-mill, normal behavior I see around me. If I am putting effort forth, including in communication with friends, I definitely want that back in return, for the benefit of all. No more laziness, please!

• Love
Reactions: Grimpoteuthis and Sulyya
Sulyya

Sulyya

Synergist
Mar 6, 2023
Depends on the person. With family and friends I avoid discussion about my mental health, and theirs. People knowing my crap makes me anxious beyond being manageable and so does worrying for others. The right people gotta share with the right people imo

• Love
Reactions: Toxic Positivity