Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Longing to return to stardust
Aug 8, 2022
There's a good name-and-shame thread out there about the horrible experiences some have had with different pharmaceuticals, but I wasn't able to locate the opposite: a list of things that have led to positive results for people. Being well aware that what works (and doesn't) for one is not necessarily the case for another, I'm curious given thing have gotten to the point for me that I'm now actually considering this route when/if my psych referral actually ends up going through and they end up recommending anything. Also thankfully aware, due to this site, that people have had permanent negative changes from meds...but that's what the name/shame thread is for.

Here I'm hoping users can share what helped them and with what, and perhaps in what dosage as well as how long it may have taken for things to improve. I myself am especially curious about what helped with mood and stress. I've seen lots about how SSRIs are often trash for the former, and offlabel can be great for the latter. But I'm eager to hear about some positive personal accounts from any willing to share :-]

• Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34, Lostandlooking and Regen
L

lionetta12

Just a random person
Aug 5, 2022
There's a good name-and-shame thread out there about the horrible experiences some have had with different pharmaceuticals, but I wasn't able to locate the opposite: a list of things that have led to positive results for people. Being well aware that what works (and doesn't) for one is not necessarily the case for another, I'm curious given thing have gotten to the point for me that I'm now actually considering this route when/if my psych referral actually ends up going through and they end up recommending anything. Also thankfully aware, due to this site, that people have had permanent negative changes from meds...but that's what the name/shame thread is for.

Here I'm hoping users can share what helped them and with what, and perhaps in what dosage as well as how long it may have taken for things to improve. I myself am especially curious about what helped with mood and stress. I've seen lots about how SSRIs are often trash for the former, and offlabel can be great for the latter. But I'm eager to hear about some positive personal accounts from any willing to share :-]
I've never had any medicine that helped me.

• Hugs
Reactions: girlsboysthems and Huntfish34
MidnightDream

MidnightDream

Warlock
Sep 5, 2022
Citalopram!! 20mg, I switched immediately from sertraline so took 2/3 weeks for that to leave my system and the citalopram to do it's thing but it's honestly changed my entire life.
I'm diagnosed BPD so have dealt with mood swings for a long long time, and honestly since starting citalopram I've barely had a mood swing, I feel like its levelled me out quite a lot and I haven't noticed any side effects

• Informative
Reactions: disillusion, botanormal, miserableforever and 2 others
CowsAgainstCapitali

CowsAgainstCapitali

Dec 11, 2022
I currently take 80mg fluoxetine (Prozac) daily

I can say from experience it definitely has a positive effect on me.

I have also used numerous mood stabilizers in the past, to no noticable effect.

Your results will vary.

• Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34 and Regen
R

Regen

I stay in my power
Aug 20, 2020
For mood swings and better contact to other people for me worked: Fluoxetin/Prozac, Sertralin.
For more energy and for doing my allday Business: Elvanse, (Sertralin).
Less depressiv thoughts: Fluoxetin, Sertralin, Venlafaxin.

I struggle with less energy, anhedonie, problems with others/anxiety/BPD.

All that medication works for me, but at the moment sadly not enough. But without it is worse.

Thank you for this thread, this is helpful also for me.

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: FrozenMango, Huntfish34 and CowsAgainstCapitali
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
The main thing that helps over time is building a social support network of people you can count on- consistent caring is the best medicine.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: asterisk3, hemlock_gal, FrozenMango and 3 others
Mlee75

Mlee75

Jan 2, 2023
Prozac, lexapro, and Buspar did not work for me. On top of anxiety I had pmdd. Citalopram was the best one I tried and now I have propranolol for migraines and the two combined definitely have me feeling better overall

Reactions: Regen
H

hiddenbpd

✌🏼
Oct 19, 2022
As my name mentions, I struggle with bpd, and also depression and anxiety. I tried a 6month medication holiday last year because I thought I didn't need them anymore. I was the worst person imaginable and was planning to ctb because no meds had me so depressed and angry. I'm back on medication now, Wellbutrin XL 150mg, it's truly been a lifesaver for me. I was also on lamotrigine 100mg, both with and without Wellbutrin, and it helped too. I just wasn't a fan of being on a mood stabilizer long term.
I obviously still have bad days, everyone does, especially when you're blessed with bpd 🙄. But I'm much better off with medication.
I hope you can find something that helps 🤍.

Reactions: disillusion, Ashu and Regen
Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Longing to return to stardust
Aug 8, 2022
Couldn't even get one actual answer before someone came in with a shit off-topic reply, despite posting in recovery and acknowlegding both the pitfalls of meds and a specific other place to discuss them...jesus fucking christ, this place sometimes.

Thank you to those who actually contributed something of value. Hoping this may be of some benefit to others.

Reactions: Mlee75 and Regen
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
There is genetic testing that can reveal which medications are most likely to function well for you depending on your biochemistry. I'd recommend getting that done if possible before blindly trying a medication.

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: Mlee75, girlsboysthems, UtopianSoliloquies and 3 others
milkandcoffee

milkandcoffee

Aug 8, 2022
I've got GAD and CPTSD. Maybe BPD. Who knows. I'm an enigma.

Anyway, I'm taking 2mg of guanfacine and 300mg of wellbutrin. They've both been great to me in different ways. Thanks to wellbutrin, I don't walk around terrified of everything anymore. My brain slowed down. I can make cohesive sense of my thoughts over time rather than just always being distressed by them. It reduces my dissociative mood swings. The guanfacine calms my physical anxiety. It helps me take care of myself but oddly that's decreased since I've added the wellbutrin. It also helped me quit drinking- I'm not sure I could have without it.

Honestly, I feel good compared to how I've felt... ever. Good and calm. Careful with the wellbutrin though, it actually increases my self harm if I'm stressed, though I do it in less harmful ways. It's a tradeoff. Both of the meds took a very long time to be in full effect- 3 months or so after a dose change.

• Hugs
Reactions: wait.what, Huntfish34 and Regen
beyondbreath

beyondbreath

Nov 19, 2019
For me struggling to sleep was a huge issue. I'd toss and turn for literal hours nightly. I'm not cured of depression but it's helped that I'm actually rested because I was prescribed low dose seroquel to help me sleep.

• Hugs
Reactions: Regen and Huntfish34
theboy

theboy

Illuminated
Jul 15, 2022
Venlafaxina, Lamotrigina, Litio

Reactions: Regen
escaped

escaped

Dec 20, 2022
Wellbutrin and Sertraline have helped me the best for my ADHD and Depression.

• Love
Reactions: asterisk3, AdaSmiles and Venus13
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Malpractice: NeuroDystrophy-Paralysis-Meds-Injured
Sep 27, 2022
There is genetic testing that can reveal which medications are most likely to function well for you depending on your biochemistry. I'd recommend getting that done if possible before
⚠️ Please take serious heed of this advice quoted above

🙏 @LaVieEnRose

This test would have saved my life — if I had access when I needed it 🥺

D

dogthebenzohunter

Jan 5, 2023
Sertraline and NA meetings. I found sertraline did not help if using recreational drugs or alcohol so trying to be sober and see if life improves

F

ferny

Dec 14, 2021
A low dose of fluoxetine, solely based on the fact that i definitely function worse without it.

M

myownpetvirus

21st Century Lobotomy
Dec 29, 2022
I suggest people read the actual medical journals and not commercials and doctors before making a decision to take meds. Keep in mind there is a massive profit motive with these medications and their positive effects are massively overstated

• Informative
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra
D

dogthebenzohunter

Jan 5, 2023
Quitiapine (seroquel) helps me the most because it lets me get a good nights sleep. And life is so much easier to tackle when you've slept properly. I also take sertraline but that doesn't help if I was still drinking. Gotta be sober to get the benefits.

Reactions: Celerity
LONE WOLF.

LONE WOLF.

PUNISHER.
Nov 4, 2020
I got put onto 25mg Valium daily 3yrs ago and it had a almost immediate effect, Now l only take 45mg on Saturday's and 45mg on Sunday's so l then have the 5 day week to clear out my system!

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I have taken SSRIs, SNRIs, tricyclics, atypical antipsychotics, mood stabilizers, and benzodiazepines. Of all these, only Seroquel/quetiapine and Valium/diazepam have benefited me to any significant extent. Unfortunately, quetiapine caused me to gain a massive amount of weight over a short period of time and, even if my weight had stabilized, I was wary of the long-term effects. I would love to get an Rx for Valium, but I probably have better odds of winning the lottery since docs have clamped down hard on benzo prescriptions.

I got put onto 25mg Valium daily 3yrs ago and it had a almost immediate effect, Now l only take 45mg on Saturday's and 45mg on Sunday's so l then have the 5 day week to clear out my system!
Are you in the US? I have had zero luck trying to get an Rx for Valium. The only people I know who have been able to get them have no psych histories. Everybody else rides the struggle bus as I do.

LONE WOLF.

LONE WOLF.

PUNISHER.
Nov 4, 2020
I have taken SSRIs, SNRIs, tricyclics, atypical antipsychotics, mood stabilizers, and benzodiazepines. Of all these, only Seroquel/quetiapine and Valium/diazepam have benefited me to any significant extent. Unfortunately, quetiapine caused me to gain a massive amount of weight over a short period of time and, even if my weight had stabilized, I was wary of the long-term effects. I would love to get an Rx for Valium, but I probably have better odds of winning the lottery since docs have clamped down hard on benzo prescriptions.

Are you in the US? I have had zero luck trying to get an Rx for Valium. The only people I know who have been able to get them have no psych histories. Everybody else rides the struggle bus as I do.
Am in the UK, No it's not easy getting Valium, Doc's don't like giving them out and will cut you off them asap, l have PTSD and ASPD!

Forest Fire

Forest Fire

Student
Jul 19, 2019
Zopiclone or Mirtazapine have always helped me sleep and mirtazapine is good for giving me an appetite when i'm underweight. I take both sporadically as the withdrawal isn't worth it to take them them regularly in my opinion. And they won't prescribe zopiclone regularly anyway

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
It's a short list, just benzos for prescription drugs. They work great for anxiety/stress but I use them sparingly because of addictive potential.

CBD has been a godsend for depression, anxiety, and overall functionality. Psilocybin is fun and uplifting and apparently enhances neuroplasticity. Never expected to be an "alternative treatment" guy but I have to go with what works!

GoneForever

GoneForever

Mar 28, 2021
Risperidone makes me more chill. Works well for my paranoia,ruminating and panic attacks.
It's the only medication that had a postive impact on me so far. It does make me sleepy all day,though.

Ceterum

Ceterum

Aug 10, 2022
opioids and benzos - both are addictive. Thus I won't ever take or recommend these on a regular basis. They are dangerous because they help immediately.

D

dogthebenzohunter

Jan 5, 2023

Did you take the quitiapine before bed or during the day also? I'm putting on weight slowly but I am eating mostly healthy and exercising and doing weights so it's mostly muscle Im putting on. But I totally understand how hard that can be if you're depressed. Or maybe it just affects people differently.

I have noticed I've grown a man boob ( just the one ) since I started taking it. So I will be wanting to taper off it eventually. Atm I just take 100mg an hour before bed.

Y

yyytry

:(
Sep 8, 2022
Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) helped for a while. Didn't numb me out like citalopram did.

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Did you take the quitiapine before bed or during the day also? I'm putting on weight slowly but I am eating mostly healthy and exercising and doing weights so it's mostly muscle Im putting on. But I totally understand how hard that can be if you're depressed. Or maybe it just affects people differently.

I have noticed I've grown a man boob ( just the one ) since I started taking it. So I will be wanting to taper off it eventually. Atm I just take 100mg an hour before bed.
I took it before bed. The weight started piling on after upping it to 100 mg. My appetite went through the roof. I am female and have a family history of diabetes, so that is likely part of it, but my psychiatrist told me that weight gain is very common. I hope you are able to avoid that.
Am in the UK, No it's not easy getting Valium, Doc's don't like giving them out and will cut you off them asap, l have PTSD and ASPD!
Yeah, they're really cracking down. Glad you found someone who was willing to take the risk.

Reactions: LONE WOLF.
D

dogthebenzohunter

Jan 5, 2023
I took it before bed. The weight started piling on after upping it to 100 mg. My appetite went through the roof. I am female and have a family history of diabetes, so that is likely part of it, but my psychiatrist told me that weight gain is very common. I hope you are able to avoid that.

Yeah, they're really cracking down. Glad you found someone who was willing to take the risk.
I've been on it for a few months but it's only been about 4 weeks since I got my appetite back and yeah I can eat a lot. But sorry if this is tmi but I also poop a lot too haha.

If I'm hungry in the evening I'll have a protein shake instead of potato chips now. Usually spend 90-120 mins a day doing a brisk walk up and down hills and always try do some weights and push ups every other day.

I used to always wake up in the morning feeling sick with anxiety unable to eat but now I wake up and start salivating for breakfast haha. If I end up fat so be it least I'll be happy.