• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

img-phenix

img-phenix

the 6-for-1 package deal
Jul 9, 2024
If you know of any media that (in your opinion) accurately porrtrays being suicidal share it here, I'm genuinely interested if something like that even exists.

Reactions: pilotviolin and justwannadip
K

Kavka

Jun 11, 2024
Maybe Aftersun (2022)?

A daughter (now grown up) is watching old video tapes that were made when she was a child and went on holiday with her father. It is only now that she realises that he was depressed and suicidal.

It's subtle, though, and it's not even made explicit that he actually committed suicide. I think it's an accurate portrayal because that's how it works for a lot of the time. There are signs, but they only make sense in hindsight.

Reactions: Sulyya
Throwawayacc3

Throwawayacc3

Freedom
Mar 4, 2024
Rock bands that actually make music that relates (rather than mainstream money money only boardroom suits cunts).

Linkin Park - Breaking the Habit or Given Up are good ones.

That's considered media right?

Reactions: pilotviolin and another_creature
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
If you know of any media that (in your opinion) accurately porrtrays being suicidal share it here, I'm genuinely interested if something like that even exists.
Darkness Visible by William Styron. It's more or less an autobiography of the author's stint with depression/suicidality. I read it about a year ago and it helped me do away with my negative thoughts for like 6 months.

Neon Genesis Evangelion (the original anime). Suicide isn't the main feature, disturbing/gratuitous at times, but it has some of the most accurate portrayals of depression in all media, is considered one of the greatest anime ever, and the ending (not the movie one >_>) again helped me recover for a good long while.

Totally unrelated but there's this great movie called Kung Pow: Legend of the Fist and it's hilarious I highly recommend it

Reactions: justwannadip
AbusedInnocent

AbusedInnocent

Student
Apr 5, 2024
would you consider memes as media? I like browsing r/thanksimcured every once in a while.

justwannadip

justwannadip

it's still raining
May 27, 2024
I'm gonna include movies that deal with serious mental illnesses and not necessarily explicitly about suicide although there may be hints or scenes that deal with it.

Manchester by the sea - great portrayal of grief and depression.

Nitram - Doesn't deal with suicide but has one great acting performances and is essentially a biopic about severe mental illness, social disability, and neglect. Great film.

You Were Never Really Here - good portrayal of ptsd (may be triggering). Themes and scenes of suicide.

Joker (2019) - although dramatized and sometimes a little corny due to it being a superhero film and all, it does well to show how mental illnesses can lead to alienation, ignorance, and mistreatment. Suicidal gestures made.

Hereditary - horror movie that has nothing to do with suicide but there are incredible acting performances that revolve around intense grief and trauma.

Movies I've yet to watch:

An elephant standing still - this is supposedly a great film that has a depressing theme. The director ended up killing himself.

Synechdoche, New York - Deals with depression

Mad World - father and bipolar son going through grief after tragedy

Requiem for a dream - addiction & suicide

Taste of cherry - movie about a guy looking for someone to bury him after he plans to ctb

Reactions: pilotviolin
newlifeimmigration

newlifeimmigration

Jul 17, 2024
i really enjoyed various webcomics made by Gray Folie, i feel like they portray living with suicidal ideation in a way that is very nuanced and true to life and like not done for shock or anything. the art is also like, way too gorgeous and intricate for a free to read online comics lol

https://drop-out.thecomicseries.com/ drop out is a comic about a couple that goes on a roadtrip so that they can kill themselves jumping off the grand canyon. for some reason i ran across this comic when i was way too young to be reading stuff like that lol but it was the first time i had actually ever seen anyone even actually acknowledge feelings of chronic mental shitness so it holds a place dear to my heart

https://fresh-meat.thecomicseries.com/ fresh meat is about a 17 year old girl's experience being in the psych ward after a suicide attempt. i really like this comic because it really does not glorify the ward at all like it sucks and the doctors do not gaf just like real life

Reactions: justwannadip
_AllCatsAreGrey_

_AllCatsAreGrey_

(they/he)
Mar 4, 2024
Synechdoche, New York - Deals with depression
One of my favorite movies
Top of my list would be Before Night Falls (2000) - movie about a gay Cuban author. Ends with suicide assisted by a close friend (pills, plastic bag).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: justwannadip and 4everHeartBroken
4everHeartBroken

4everHeartBroken

Experienced
Feb 11, 2024
K
Maybe Aftersun (2022)?

A daughter (now grown up) is watching old video tapes that were made when she was a child and went on holiday with her father. It is only now that she realises that he was depressed and suicidal.

It's subtle, though, and it's not even made explicit that he actually committed suicide. I think it's an accurate portrayal because that's how it works for a lot of the time. There are signs, but they only make sense in hindsight.

Kavka, Thank you for this! ❤️

• Love
Reactions: Kavka
ice-oxen

ice-oxen

-
Dec 19, 2022
Taste of Cherry is what I'd recommend. As justwannadip said, it's about a middle-aged man who's already resolved to kill himself at the beginning of the film, and he's looking for a stranger to bury him after he dies. It's a slow film without much dialogue but it looks beautiful and it captures a kind of quiet desperation that will feel familiar to many people here.

Reactions: _AllCatsAreGrey_ and justwannadip
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
i really enjoyed various webcomics made by Gray Folie, i feel like they portray living with suicidal ideation in a way that is very nuanced and true to life and like not done for shock or anything. the art is also like, way too gorgeous and intricate for a free to read online comics lol

https://drop-out.thecomicseries.com/ drop out is a comic about a couple that goes on a roadtrip so that they can kill themselves jumping off the grand canyon. for some reason i ran across this comic when i was way too young to be reading stuff like that lol but it was the first time i had actually ever seen anyone even actually acknowledge feelings of chronic mental shitness so it holds a place dear to my heart

https://fresh-meat.thecomicseries.com/ fresh meat is about a 17 year old girl's experience being in the psych ward after a suicide attempt. i really like this comic because it really does not glorify the ward at all like it sucks and the doctors do not gaf just like real life
I got distracted and read 15 chapters of Fresh Meat. It's really good, gonna put it in my notes ^^ thanks for sharing

Reactions: newlifeimmigration