R

Rose57

Student
Jan 2, 2019
I'd like to get rid of the hissing sound of air moving through the hose from the nitrogen tank. Will placing a very thick cloth over the end of the hose reduce flow from the regulator though? I'd still like to ensure a flow rate of 15 L/min. Does it depend on the thickness of the cloth? I'm super noise sensitve which is why I want to CTB. At 15 L/min the hissing sound is really loud unless I cover it with a the very thick folded cloth. I know I'll be unconscious and dead about a minute after putting the bag over my head but it would give me peace of mind to make it quiet. I'd probably tear the bag off withn 15 seconds due to how much pain I'd be in due to the hissing sound anyways.

T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
I don't think putting a cloth over it is a good idea since it will inevitably interfere with the gas flow.

Perhaps a pair of earphones / buds with some nice music might help?

R

Rose57

Student
Jan 2, 2019
Ear buds and ear phones aren't enough unfortunately. And I can't listen to music. Thanks for the ideas though :)

Greenberg

Greenberg

nitrogenexit.blogspot.com
Jun 28, 2020
There should be minimal hissing sounds coming from your setup. Any hiss generally means that there is a leakage somewhere. Have you tightened the connector sufficiently to the valve? Which brand of flow regulator are you employing?

Reactions: checkouttime
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
There should be minimal hissing sounds coming from your setup. Any hiss generally means that there is a leakage somewhere. Have you tightened the connector sufficiently to the valve? Which brand of flow regulator are you employing?
I think they mean the hissing sound of nitrogen coming out the tube in the hood.

It's apparently too unbearable to put up with for 30 seconds, and they can't listen to music through earplugs for some reason, that's impossible too.

I'm not trying to sound mean, but it's kind of like saying I want to take some SN but how can I take it without swallowing it. Or I'm going to hang myself but I don't want to be at the mercy of gravity.

Try this - well yes, but....

Reactions: Lastsauce and Greenberg
Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
Oh, consider using a mask instead.

Lastsauce

Lastsauce

Experienced
Dec 22, 2019
That polyester fiber fill stuff that is in duvets etc should attenuate high freqencies at least some and it's very permeable.
You could stick the hose in a piece of rock wool and find out if that works :ahhha:

R

Rose57

Student
Jan 2, 2019
Well yes, but I don't like masks.
I wouldn't mind a mask but I don't see how that would be any quieter. I don't think it is quite the same as saying I want to take SN but don't want to swallow it. Or that I want to hang myself but don't want to be at the mercy of gravity. It's more like how people try to mix N with orange juice or ice cream to make it more palatable. Though there is debate as to whether that would help. Or spray numbing solution into their mouth to dull taste buds before drinking bad tasting N, etc. It's more about comfort than throwing the whole method out the window.

T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
You can't cope with a hissing sound for 15 to 30 seconds - that's what i find hard to comprehend, forive me please if I'm missing something, I do not mean to offend you.

R

Rose57

Student
Jan 2, 2019
The entire reason I want to die is because sound is painful so maybe you just can't comprehend the level of pain from noise. Plus, if there is any chance I survive for some reason , I don't want to experience the severe setback from painful noise exposure. Noise causes setbacks even if I am asleep. Frequencies of noise that are painful cause my noise sensitivity to worsen drastically.

T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
You'll be unconscious in about 15 seconds. It won't be a problem then.

Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
I think earplugs and/or earphones should be sufficient.

Last edited:
Reactions: WearyOfStruggling
R

Rose57

Student
Jan 2, 2019
I would think that someone with severe hyperacusis would be more understanding.

theguineapigking

theguineapigking

Useless piece of trash
Dec 5, 2019
What about ear PLUGS? I use them every night when I sleep. If money isn't a problem, maybe noise cancelling earbuds? I don't know if they would cancel out the frequency of hissing to be honest...but maybe it's worth considering. Otherwise, I'd consider good ear plugs.

I just realized that Greenberg recommended them too..

Reactions: WearyOfStruggling
Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
Have you tried pink noise therapy to treat your hyperacusis?

C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
The entire reason I want to die is because sound is painful so maybe you just can't comprehend the level of pain from noise. Plus, if there is any chance I survive for some reason , I don't want to experience the severe setback from painful noise exposure. Noise causes setbacks even if I am asleep. Frequencies of noise that are painful cause my noise sensitivity to worsen drastically.

I can understand what you are saying, i have the problem with noise. I don't think its even close to what other members have it like. What about ear buds AND ear defenders???

• Love
Reactions: Greenberg
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
I would think that someone with severe hyperacusis would be more understanding.
15 seconds and no more noise.

But hey I get it. Instead of putting up with hissing for 15 seconds put up with 30 years or more of hyperacusis.

Makes no sense.

You won't make me feel bad for pointing out the obvious contradiction in your comments, and that's what you're doing - finding reasons to not put up with a few seconds of noise.

If you don't want to do it, and it's your SI stopping you then that's fine and don't do it.

But you can't say I want to do it, but I have to find a way that aggravates my problem for 15 seconds so I can't do it. You could either put up with it for 15 seconds, or find another way, but I bet there's a reason why the other ways won't be right.

So it means you aren't ready and/or don't want to do it - so don't do it.

Just don't, there's no hurry or need. but realise that and don't play games with yourself.

You need for you to work out what you really want.

Just take a step back and think about whats best for you.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: PrincessInWhite, checkouttime and Greenberg