• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

M

MoonAndStarsss

Nov 30, 2020
The universe is made Up of experience that are designed to burn out your attachment, your clinging, to pleasure ,to pain, to fest, to all of it. And as long as there is a place where you are vulnerable, the universe Will find a way to confront you with it- Ram das

G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
I wish I could, but how can I love myself when I have physical and neurological disabilities that make it impossible for me to make a living wage and have independence, and literally everyone in my life treats me like I'm worthless and expendable (yes even the kids make me feel like that half the time), and they can't all be wrong. Being a good person just isn't enough in this world, and all it really amounts to being easy prey for abusers.

Weather

Weather

Student
Oct 18, 2020
I think it would be great to naturally love yourself and be able to treat yourself with kindness and compassion. But, at the same time, I think it is impossible for some people to ever love themselves -- not because they are undeserving, but because through trauma or whatever else, some brains are just not capable of being rewired like that. I'm pretty sure I will never love myself. Maybe I can work on hating myself less, but I'll never love myself.

So -- and I don't mean to offend -- but I hate the whole "love yourself" thing. I feel like it produces a handful of results, none of which are particularly good. (1) It makes you feel guilty for being unable to do this thing (self-love) that becomes equated with basic worth; (2) when paired with "no one will love you until you love yourself," as it often is, it sets up those most needing love to feel more unworthy and hopeless in fulfilling it as a basic human need; (3) it becomes a way to excuse others' lack of love (i.e., lack of kindness, empathy, compassion) because it devalues the giving and receiving of love from others, replacing it with the idea that the important love is only that which you can give yourself; and (4) I think it makes us as human beings even more internally focused (selfish; navel-gazing) and less concerned with others and how we treat them.

Josh007

Josh007

šŸ¤“
Nov 30, 2020
Loving yourself is dating yourself. Learning to love yourself is courting yourself.
-Gentleman :shy:

A

Amandye13

Sep 22, 2020
That's some pathetic concept for an existence.

M

MoonAndStarsss

Nov 30, 2020
Sorry for not being "dark" enough Im NOT gonna encourage People to hurt themself.. we all have flaws Nobody is perfect. Take Careā¤ļø

Reactions: kohaku
Cherry Crumpet

Cherry Crumpet

Hiraeth
May 7, 2018
This is amazing. You put into words exactly how I feel. Thank you. Thank you so much.

I think it would be great to naturally love yourself and be able to treat yourself with kindness and compassion. But, at the same time, I think it is impossible for some people to ever love themselves -- not because they are undeserving, but because through trauma or whatever else, some brains are just not capable of being rewired like that. I'm pretty sure I will never love myself. Maybe I can work on hating myself less, but I'll never love myself.

So -- and I don't mean to offend -- but I hate the whole "love yourself" thing. I feel like it produces a handful of results, none of which are particularly good. (1) It makes you feel guilty for being unable to do this thing (self-love) that becomes equated with basic worth; (2) when paired with "no one will love you until you love yourself," as it often is, it sets up those most needing love to feel more unworthy and hopeless in fulfilling it as a basic human need; (3) it becomes a way to excuse others' lack of love (i.e., lack of kindness, empathy, compassion) because it devalues the giving and receiving of love from others, replacing it with the idea that the important love is only that which you can give yourself; and (4) I think it makes us as human beings even more internally focused (selfish; navel-gazing) and less concerned with others and how we treat them.

• Hugs
Reactions: Weather
G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
I don't love (I feel quite the opposite) myself. I can't .I will never be able to.
There's too much wrong with me and I am just too useless and revolting.
Just being honest.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Why should I love myself when they're basically my worst abuser? I shouldn't have to love someone especially not when I'm a victim of all their worst behaviors.

• Hugs
Reactions: Ghost2211
All washed up

All washed up

Experienced
Oct 31, 2020
I didn't particularly like myself as a youngster.
Then as I grew older I really started liking myself.
Got to my 50s really quite happy with myself.
Now I'm 55 messed up and really dislike myself ,it's a shitshow

• Hugs
Reactions: Josh007
Ironweed

Ironweed

Nauseated.
Nov 9, 2019
The universe is made Up of experience that are designed to burn out your attachment, your clinging, to pleasure ,to pain, to fest, to all of it. And as long as there is a place where you are vulnerable, the universe Will find a way to confront you with it- Ram das

Also Ram Dass:

"Without in any way diminishing the complex issues involved in the right-to-die debate," he writes, "there seems to me a fundamental oversight at its center: namely, the wisdom of the dying person, and her or his ability to make conscious choices. Except in cases where people are too ill to think clearly, or have been rendered insensible by pain, it is my experience that dying people are quite dependable regarding the state of their bodies and minds, and their own wishes. To deprive them of the right to die when and how they choose is to strip them of this wisdom and render it irrelevant."

(emphasis added) Link

Doubtless he didn't explicitly endorse suicide, but he seemed like somebody who would have been far more tolerant of it than most. Certainly for somebody who had been a professor of psychology.

_Kaira_

_Kaira_

This Isn't Fine
Oct 2, 2020
I wish I could.

But I can't love myself when I'm such a useless person and f*ck up. I bring my misery and depression everywhere I go, unintentionally.
I'm just a lost cause. I am my own enemy, and so I become an enemy to others. No one can deal with me, not even myself.

• Hugs
Reactions: Josh007
VivaldiBR

VivaldiBR

Experienced
Oct 4, 2020
Loving yourself is a lifelong job. Its so hard. I wish I have the basic tools to do it.

• Hugs
Reactions: greebo6