• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
When people say to the suicidal that things get better, I think they neglect the toll that is taken by years of forgone opportunities. Once that time is gone, you can never get it back. Such losses can snowball over time until they create a disastrous avalanche. When you've missed the starting gun, it is near impossible to find equal footing with the other sprinters on the track.

In epidemiology, one can measure YYl (years of life lost) to assess the number of potential life years that are lost as a consequence of premature mortality. Yet, no one measures the QUALITY of life that is lost, nor the unsatisfactory circumstances one may be forced to endure in order to prolong survival.

Most individuals and institutions alike fail to acknowledge that there are so many people out there who have simply lost out on the most fulfilling pleasures life has to offer, and would not regain even a sliver of a chance of pursuing them (lest miracles existed, and if you believe in miracles you're probably already high on the religious hopium copium)

There are certain life events and developments that one can never experience once they've been deprived of the initial presentation. An example of this would be comparing the outcomes of a child from a loving, stable home-with access to good education and all the necessary resources one needs to succeed- to a child who hails from a neglectful or abusive family in abject poverty.

There is a longing in my heart (and the hearts of many others, I am sure) for an adolescence that I will never have. I often see fancy grammar schools, sixth forms, and private schools when I am out on train journeys, see children sitting outside the schoolyard laughing, joking around, and being carefree with their mates. I never got to experience this.

I can't fathom what it is like to attend a school that actually cared about teaching its students. Growing up in a rural, impoverished shithole, I did not have a choice in where I studied. You go to the one run down school in your area, there are no other options. Most of my classes did not even have textbooks because the school could not afford them. You had slim pickings in the subjects offered. By design, you are trapped in a cycle of destitution, where you cannot succeed in higher education because you lack the foundational knowledge to progress in your studies.

Of course, you are a child and you don't know any better. You have no conception of what you're missing out on. Living in such an area also primes you for being ostracised and cast out. There is no freedom of thought or ideas. Everyone subscribes to the same religious beliefs with an almost cult like fervor. I was probably the only child in my year who did not believe in this religion, add being autistic on top of that and you've got the perfect recipe for bullying and isolation.

I didn't even have a loving family waiting at home for me during the vast majority of my childhood. My father drank himself silly, so I rarely remember anything positive about him, only the few spells of agony he endured prior to his death like trying to shoot himself in the face in front of his child.

My father's relatives abused me heavily by keeping me locked indoors with no human contact, throwing things at me, screaming all of the time, threatening to kick me out, getting institutionalised and leaving me to almost fend for myself, threatening to tell people I was bisexual so I would further be harassed and potentially disowned by other family members, etc.

Tell me, what sort of life was that? I missed out on so many of the things that one can look back at fondly. I had no dates, parties, or nights out during high school. I had no puppy love romance, no connection with my peers nor any of the adults in my life, no mentor to guide me, no assistance whatsoever. My only friend for many years was my Foster sister.

Of course, everyone says things will get better. What a load of drivel that is. Once you hit the magic age of 18, you're thrust into the adult world with little consideration. If your childhood was rife with abuse and neglect, you're expected to simply get over it. People with loving families, success, and endless amounts of friends and lovers will tell you that you're mentally ill and simply not trying hard enough to overcome your past.

No one seems to recognise that childhood development shapes nearly every angle of our lives. From our personality traits/disposition, to our outcomes in education and work, our relationship dynamics, our desirability in the eyes of employers, partners, and friends. They neglect all the socioeconomic and epigenetic factors that further poison your future once you've drunk from the well of traumatization and sorrow. To most people, it is always possible to bounce back from any tragedy even if you have little to no positive life experiences that would give some tenability to their worldview.

To my knowledge there is no program or treatment plan out there (with the exception of that village in Belgium which has always taken in the so called undesirables of society such as those with schizophrenia, psychosis, severe cognitive impairments, etc) that seeks to rehabilitate individuals who have severe trauma and no social connections through no fault of their own.

Stoic based therapies place all the onus on the individual to remedy his pain. You are the problem. You aren't doing enough CBT, DBT workbooks. You aren't putting yourself out there. It is almost comical that the people who vehemently push this line of thinking have never suffered any of these problems themselves. I'd like to see the average therapist or psychiatrist try to justify cognitive behavioral therapy as a panacea if one could sinulate the experience of their family members, spouses, professional collaeges, and friends suddenly vanishing one day, leaving them isolated and alone.

It is even slimier when all of the mental health organizations push this same trite rhetoric upon disabled people. On all of the government health websites, they always shoehorn in a paragraph about depression and anxiety when writing the articles on chronic illnesses, encouraging people with chronic pain and illnesses to take antidepressants and seek therapy to deal with the gravity of their diagnoses.

This sort of advice a slap in the face because not only does it undermine the struggles of those who are actually suffering from incurable anhedonia/depression, but it deflects blame and actively prohibits any discussion regarding the factors that cause a disabled/chronically ill person to be miserable.

No, taking an SSRI is not going to magically relinquish your despair when you realize you are too sick to hold down a job. It won't bring back the friends and loved ones who leave you behind for being ill and disabled. The void left by the absence of proper care and human connection will still be salient, as nothing can replace the platonic and romantic relationships one will inevitably desire throughout their time on earth.

Yet everyone eats all this up like gospel. You can always be happy/content, you just have to make the right choices and adopt the right mindset. I was reading posts on the multiple sclerosis subreddit after I had my MRI today, and a young man lamented that his life had become meaningless since he became permanently disabled and unable to do the activities he loved anymore. Everyone told him he was just having an irrational depressive spell and that life was so valuable.

My question is, if you are deprived of every experience that one would constitute as a pillar of what makes life worthwhile in the first place, how can one pontificate that you are truly alive in the absence of them? Survival at all costs is the penchant of our DNA, I know this, but it seems like people are truly blind to the reality that there are fates worse than death.

I do not see how these turbo optimists can expect people who have been suffering for years, if not decades, to make up for lost time that they will never recover. I am 22 years old and my body is permanently enfeebled. These are supposed to be the best years of my life, the peak of my youth. Instead I am bedridden most days, suicidal, and miserable.

I cannot help but become bitter and jealous when I see all of my friends from university going to nightclubs, having frequent parties, drinking all night, excelling in their studies, and going to fun outings and holidays with their families.

One of my uni housemates typically goes only a day or two a week without going out with someone. When I went to view houses, most people's bedrooms had dozens of photographs everywhere of their friends, families, and adventures. Even my best friend ignores me most of the day to hang out with his roommates, go to parties, do drugs, hang out with his family, and play video games. All things I cannot do from the confines of my prison.. I mean bed.

All I do is struggle for no gains or rewards, desperately trying to keep my head above water in a system that would prefer incapacitated people like me to drown. I am expected to smile, be happy, keep up with my coursework, and function normally as if I am healthy and able bodied with ample social. support.

Then they wonder why I want to die.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: cgrtt.brns, alonely, Walilamdzii and 38 others
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
So a cause of suffering* is the comparisons (feelings of inferiority). On top of that the desire for positive experiences that aren't available is obviously painful. I have both of these "fundementals" as well and I suspect most on the forum do (when you boil it down like this). Bad enough without physical problems.

You mentioned some weird "hElP" supposedly related to stoicism, sounds like it's only very loosely based on the teachings of Epicurus (handicapped slave, real stoicism) and more on Aurelius' (literal emperor larping, cringe). Loosely based since it places a lot of emphasis on running after desires and running away from aversions. Epicurus was basically Buddhism-light. He didn't mention the whole thing about how to actually observe how the suffering is created in real-time but the theory is very similar.

I do think that real stoicism and/or mindfulness can help against the purely mental stuff. Observing in real-time how the mind operates can make your thoughts (when desiring things or comparing ourselves to others) feel more like sensations. Hard to explain, but the thoughts feel less personal and real, same with the followong sensations in the head and face (or wherever the emotions are, they are literally physical sensations, this is good to discover).

Sorry for the long post, felt like this could help with your probably smallest problems (mental stuff). Just ignore it otherwise, I can't deal with my own mental stuff that well yet but I think this works (for me, at least) since it has gotten a bit better.

*The suffering is caused by aversion and/or clinging to certain thoughts/sensations (with the mental stuff, apparently it's also applicable to pure physical pain but I think that's largely irrelevant to most ppl).

Btw, I keep mixing you up with @-Persephone- :ahhha:

• Hugs
Reactions: Life sucks, LastLoveLetter, Midgardsorm and 2 others
miminkpo

miminkpo

Aug 20, 2021
You are absolutely right. People only pretend to understand just so they can make you think like they do, not because they actually do understand. They are so obsessed in what they believe is ''encouraging people to live'' that they only belittle you, your thoughts, your illness, your past experiences and your trauma. I've yet to encounter one of these ''positive people'' that don't guilt-trip me with my family, my friends, my imaginary future, my past ''acomplishments'', my lack of debilitating illnesses other than depression or the backdrop of ''people who have it worse'' that would certainly mock and dissaprove of what I'm struggling with.

I know, there's a ''perfect'' me in everyone's mind. The ''me'' they want to see, the ''me'' that goes beyond my illness and my depressive state, the ''me'' that would be so wonderful if I just got over it. But it's just a bunch of fantasies. Nobody wants to work with what I am right now. No one wants to accept that I'm just unfit for happiness. I can't stand people dragging me and trying to resucitate me, for I am already a corpse in life.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Morbid Cam, niki wonoto, ithappens and 6 others
WaaaghEnjoyer

WaaaghEnjoyer

destroy the status quo
Aug 15, 2021
I really like the term "turbo optimists". I believe people who are like this do it because it makes them feel good, thinking they have really helped/saved someone while in reality they have done the opposite. You can't expect much from them since they are irrational.

I don't know what else to say so I'll quote a part that I think is funny.
You aren't doing enough CBT

• Hugs
  • Yay!
Reactions: Morbid Cam, ithappens, Life sucks and 2 others
N

NoPointToContinue

Student
Jun 2, 2021
What a beautiful post

• Love
Reactions: deflationary, Life sucks, LittleJem and 3 others
N

niki wonoto

Student
Oct 10, 2019
I think you'll be surprised that even when I'm coming from the loving, quite well-off family & parents, it can actually also ironically destroyed my life, mostly because of too spoiled & too much privilege, yet ironically again, my parents' only mistake is to never fully mentally & emotionally support their children/kids' dreams & aspirations, or even opinions (especially my stubborn Asian/Chinese-Indonesian dad/father).

Anything could happen in life, including any type of bad things.
There is no guarantee.
We can't be too sure/certain of anything.

Life is full of irony & tragedy.

• Hugs
Reactions: ithappens, Life sucks and KuriGohan&Kamehameha
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
You mentioned some weird "hElP" supposedly related to stoicism, sounds like it's only very loosely based on the teachings of Epicurus (handicapped slave, real stoicism) and more on Aurelius' (literal emperor larping, cringe). Loosely based since it places a lot of emphasis on running after desires and running away from aversions. Epicurus was basically Buddhism-light. He didn't mention the whole thing about how to actually observe how the suffering is created in real-time but the theory is very similar.
Your guy's name was Epictetus. Epicurus was into deriving the greatest amount of pleasure possible during one's lifetime without overindulging in it. Epictetus preached that living justly & virtuously & all that masochistic "noble" claptrap is the highest good that one can experience, & that pleasure & pain are to be treated indifferently (how realistic). No wonder Christian "philosophers" lapped that shit up & shamelessly stole everything they could from Stoicism.

Last edited:
Reactions: ithappens, Life sucks, LastLoveLetter and 1 other person
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Your guy's name was Epictetus. Epicurus was into deriving the greatest amount of pleasure possible during one's lifetime without overindulging in it. Epictetus preached that living justly & virtuously & all that masochistic "noble" claptrap is the highest good that one can experience, & that pleasure & pain are to be treated indifferently (how realistic). No wonder Christian "philosophers" lapped that shit up & shamelessly stole everything they could from Stoicism.
Oh shit, my bad.

• Hugs
Reactions: Life sucks
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
Stoic based therapies place all the onus on the individual to remedy his pain. You are the problem. You aren't doing enough CBT, DBT workbooks. You aren't putting yourself out there. It is almost comical that the people who vehemently push this line of thinking have never suffered any of these problems themselves. I'd like to see the average therapist or psychiatrist try to justify cognitive behavioral therapy as a panacea if one could sinulate the experience of their family members, spouses, professional collaeges, and friends suddenly vanishing one day, leaving them isolated and alone.

Dear Stoics/Buddhists/CBT pushers, please indulge us & conduct this harmless little experiment. Lather yourselves with honey & sit on a large anthill. Inspect all the silly, irrelevant thoughts, feelings & physical sensations that arise in you as the ants nibble away at your flesh extremely carefully, soberly, impartially; don't move, don't attempt to fight what you are experiencing in any way, embrace & overcome/transcend it by sheer power of your reason & will. We are confident that you will triumph over adversity & that something as trivial as being slowly eaten alive will never erase the serene, dignified, wise smiles on your faces.

• Love
Reactions: niki wonoto, ithappens, deflationary and 8 others
A_miStake_of_NATURE

A_miStake_of_NATURE

I wish no one had to CTB..........
Aug 14, 2020
It was
When people say to the suicidal that things get better, I think they neglect the toll that is taken by years of forgone opportunities. Once that time is gone, you can never get it back. Such losses can snowball over time until they create a disastrous avalanche. When you've missed the starting gun, it is near impossible to find equal footing with the other sprinters on the track.

In epidemiology, one can measure YYl (years of life lost) to assess the number of potential life years that are lost as a consequence of premature mortality. Yet, no one measures the QUALITY of life that is lost, nor the unsatisfactory circumstances one may be forced to endure in order to prolong survival.

Most individuals and institutions alike fail to acknowledge that there are so many people out there who have simply lost out on the most fulfilling pleasures life has to offer, and would not regain even a sliver of a chance of pursuing them (lest miracles existed, and if you believe in miracles you're probably already high on the religious hopium copium)

There are certain life events and developments that one can never experience once they've been deprived of the initial presentation. An example of this would be comparing the outcomes of a child from a loving, stable home-with access to good education and all the necessary resources one needs to succeed- to a child who hails from a neglectful or abusive family in abject poverty.

There is a longing in my heart (and the hearts of many others, I am sure) for an adolescence that I will never have. I often see fancy grammar schools, sixth forms, and private schools when I am out on train journeys, see children sitting outside the schoolyard laughing, joking around, and being carefree with their mates. I never got to experience this.

I can't fathom what it is like to attend a school that actually cared about teaching its students. Growing up in a rural, impoverished shithole, I did not have a choice in where I studied. You go to the one run down school in your area, there are no other options. Most of my classes did not even have textbooks because the school could not afford them. You had slim pickings in the subjects offered. By design, you are trapped in a cycle of destitution, where you cannot succeed in higher education because you lack the foundational knowledge to progress in your studies.

Of course, you are a child and you don't know any better. You have no conception of what you're missing out on. Living in such an area also primes you for being ostracised and cast out. There is no freedom of thought or ideas. Everyone subscribes to the same religious beliefs with an almost cult like fervor. I was probably the only child in my year who did not believe in this religion, add being autistic on top of that and you've got the perfect recipe for bullying and isolation.

I didn't even have a loving family waiting at home for me during the vast majority of my childhood. My father drank himself silly, so I rarely remember anything positive about him, only the few spells of agony he endured prior to his death like trying to shoot himself in the face in front of his child.

My father's relatives abused me heavily by keeping me locked indoors with no human contact, throwing things at me, screaming all of the time, threatening to kick me out, getting institutionalised and leaving me to almost fend for myself, threatening to tell people I was bisexual so I would further be harassed and potentially disowned by other family members, etc.

Tell me, what sort of life was that? I missed out on so many of the things that one can look back at fondly. I had no dates, parties, or nights out during high school. I had no puppy love romance, no connection with my peers nor any of the adults in my life, no mentor to guide me, no assistance whatsoever. My only friend for many years was my Foster sister.

Of course, everyone says things will get better. What a load of drivel that is. Once you hit the magic age of 18, you're thrust into the adult world with little consideration. If your childhood was rife with abuse and neglect, you're expected to simply get over it. People with loving families, success, and endless amounts of friends and lovers will tell you that you're mentally ill and simply not trying hard enough to overcome your past.

No one seems to recognise that childhood development shapes nearly every angle of our lives. From our personality traits/disposition, to our outcomes in education and work, our relationship dynamics, our desirability in the eyes of employers, partners, and friends. They neglect all the socioeconomic and epigenetic factors that further poison your future once you've drunk from the well of traumatization and sorrow. To most people, it is always possible to bounce back from any tragedy even if you have little to no positive life experiences that would give some tenability to their worldview.

To my knowledge there is no program or treatment plan out there (with the exception of that village in Belgium which has always taken in the so called undesirables of society such as those with schizophrenia, psychosis, severe cognitive impairments, etc) that seeks to rehabilitate individuals who have severe trauma and no social connections through no fault of their own.

It is even slimier when all of the mental health organizations push this same trite rhetoric upon disabled people. On all of the government health websites, they always shoehorn in a paragraph about depression and anxiety when writing the articles on chronic illnesses, encouraging people with chronic pain and illnesses to take antidepressants and seek therapy to deal with the gravity of their diagnoses.

This sort of advice a slap in the face because not only does it undermine the struggles of those who are actually suffering from incurable anhedonia/depression, but it deflects blame and actively prohibits any discussion regarding the factors that cause a disabled/chronically ill person to be miserable.

No, taking an SSRI is not going to magically relinquish your despair when you realize you are too sick to hold down a job. It won't bring back the friends and loved ones who leave you behind for being ill and disabled. The void left by the absence of proper care and human connection will still be salient, as nothing can replace the platonic and romantic relationships one will inevitably desire throughout their time on earth.

Yet everyone eats all this up like gospel. You can always be happy/content, you just have to make the right choices and adopt the right mindset. I was reading posts on the multiple sclerosis subreddit after I had my MRI today, and a young man lamented that his life had become meaningless since he became permanently disabled and unable to do the activities he loved anymore. Everyone told him he was just having an irrational depressive spell and that life was so valuable.

My question is, if you are deprived of every experience that one would constitute as a pillar of what makes life worthwhile in the first place, how can one pontificate that you are truly alive in the absence of them? Survival at all costs is the penchant of our DNA, I know this, but it seems like people are truly blind to the reality that there are fates worse than death.

I do not see how these turbo optimists can expect people who have been suffering for years, if not decades, to make up for lost time that they will never recover. I am 22 years old and my body is permanently enfeebled. These are supposed to be the best years of my life, the peak of my youth. Instead I am bedridden most days, suicidal, and miserable.

I cannot help but become bitter and jealous when I see all of my friends from university going to nightclubs, having frequent parties, drinking all night, excelling in their studies, and going to fun outings and holidays with their families.

One of my uni housemates typically goes only a day or two a week without going out with someone. When I went to view houses, most people's bedrooms had dozens of photographs everywhere of their friends, families, and adventures. Even my best friend ignores me most of the day to hang out with his roommates, go to parties, do drugs, hang out with his family, and play video games. All things I cannot do from the confines of my prison.. I mean bed.

All I do is struggle for no gains or rewards, desperately trying to keep my head above water in a system that would prefer incapacitated people like me to drown. I am expected to smile, be happy, keep up with my coursework, and function normally as if I am healthy and able bodied with ample social. support.

Then they wonder why I want to die.
It was very profound. Thank you

• Love
Reactions: deflationary, Life sucks, LittleJem and 1 other person
Midgardsorm

Midgardsorm

Paragon
Apr 28, 2020
Kuri, people that say things like "It gets better" have no idea of the problems that befalls over sufferers from chronic condition and depression.

Being thrown into the world having to endure years of suffering and pain where the challenge of each day is to survive until the next one, instead of being able to use daytime to learn and gather the necessary experiences for the future.

Losing years of life with palliative treatments supposedly aimed at providing comfort in the face of an illness, but all it does is prolong suffering by delivering a false promise.

The future is uncertain and full of challenges that many of us were not prepared to face due to our conditions.

The phrase "It gets better" not only ignores the lost years, it also ignores the years ahead, a future in a competitive world where we already start at a disadvantage.

Also, many of us lives awaiting treatment for conditions that are not fully understood. Will we then wait 10, 20, 30 years? Will it get better when we are 60?

I'm sorry for the challenges that were imposed on you.
A heroine you are, for few could survive a day in your shoes.

You're so nice and loving. You deserve much better.

My reply is vague and unworthy of your intelligence, sorry.
My mind is empty, my condition worsens.
But I must let you know that your pain is not unheard by me. I'm with you. I just wish I could do more.

The world is hypocritical and sick.
I am really sorry.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: NoPointToContinue, ithappens, deflationary and 7 others
Pure

Pure

Specialist
Jun 29, 2021
Will we then wait 10, 20, 30 years? Will it get better when we are 60?
Yeah normies always say this shit and it's so annoying. At 60 years old my life is nearly over and you're telling me I should wait until then to feel better? Fuck off (not you midgardsorm lol)

• Love
Reactions: Morbid Cam, NoPointToContinue, Life sucks and 4 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Your post was really well written. People who haven't suffered in a similar way will never be able to comprehend what it is like. I see it as irrational to be more positive and to change your mindset without removing what the problem is in the first place. Life is unfair and many people are disadvantaged from the start, through no fault of their own. Many people are in hopeless situations and that is a fact of life. I wish you the best, you deserve so much better than what this life has given you.

• Love
Reactions: Morbid Cam, Journeytoletgo, Life sucks and 3 others
Pure

Pure

Specialist
Jun 29, 2021
Yeah normies always say this shit and it's so annoying. At 60 years old my life is nearly over and you're telling me I should wait until then to feel better? Fuck off (not you midgardsorm lol)
It reminds me of one of the anti SS mothers talking about her daughter after she killed herself (Callie Lewis) and she said she was fully expecting her daughter to be 90 and still talking about wanting to kill herself. Are you kidding me. You'd rather your daughter suffer all through life even after you've died? Disgusts me to be honest.

• Love
Reactions: Goodgirlryeo101, Morbid Cam, ithappens and 4 others
Alwaysbadtime

Alwaysbadtime

Enlightened
Jun 28, 2021
Wow. Really well-said post. I really agree with what you are saying about how childhood can shape the rest. I was bullied and then not bullied but mostly isolated. I missed out on all the shit happy kids were doing. I sucked at school and would feel destroyed when I was dumped a couple times.

I missed out on a lot of shit after high school (decades now) and I think in my note to my parents (who don't empathize and label me mental) I will list all the shit I didn't do or get to have. I'm not lazy. I chose the wrong profession and shit has really turned sour.

I'm really sorry to hear your family was so incredibly abusive and mean to you.

• Love
Reactions: Journeytoletgo, Life sucks, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 2 others
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
I agree 100 per cent. Beautifully put.

• Love
Reactions: Life sucks, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, FuneralCry and 1 other person
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
Wow. Really well-said post. I really agree with what you are saying about how childhood can shape the rest. I was bullied and then not bullied but mostly isolated. I missed out on all the shit happy kids were doing. I sucked at school and would feel destroyed when I was dumped a couple times.

I missed out on a lot of shit after high school (decades now) and I think in my note to my parents (who don't empathize and label me mental) I will list all the shit I didn't do or get to have. I'm not lazy. I chose the wrong profession and shit has really turned sour.

I'm really sorry to hear your family was so incredibly abusive and mean to you.
I can relate to this a lot, as well as @financialrhino s posts about their experiences in medical school. It's not your fault that your career has panned out this way. You chose what you thought was best for you at the time, no one can predict what the future holds.

I have made a similar error with my studies. My talents were in English, composition, and biology. However, I wanted to study computer science initially and work as a developer. I did not have the necessary background for this, leading to a pitiful crash and burn. I quit while my grades could still be salvaged.

When I was in high school, I petitioned the head/principal to let me take a programing class since my school didn't offer it. I couldn't learn anything at home because I had no textbooks and my foster family had limited Internet access. They turned me down and essentially said that I wouldn't be capable of doing the coursework anyways.

I missed out on 2 years of education because a boy at my school molested me when I was 14. So I understand completely how awful you must feel losing out on countless experiences during those formative years.

Currently, I am studying a very difficult subject (Neuro) and I am absolutely miserable. Every staff member of my department is trying to prime the students for a career in full time, hands on laboratory work or a PhD, which I'm physically unable to do. Yet, this was the only STEM degree I actually had the qualifications for..

Like you, I feel trapped in an unwinnable situation, because I can't fucking work and I'm being forced to do this bloody competitive stressful degree that will lead me nowhere.

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: motel rooms, deflationary, Journeytoletgo and 5 others
Pure

Pure

Specialist
Jun 29, 2021
I can relate to this a lot, as well as @financialrhino s posts about their experiences in medical school. It's not your fault that your career has panned out this way. You chose what you thought was best for you at the time, no one can predict what the future holds.

I have made a similar error with my studies. My talents were in English, composition, and biology. However, I wanted to study computer science initially and work as a developer. I did not have the necessary background for this, leading to a pitiful crash and burn. I quit while my grades could still be salvaged.

When I was in high school, I petitioned the head/principal to let me take a programing class since my school didn't offer it. I couldn't learn anything at home because I had no textbooks and my foster family had limited Internet access. They turned me down and essentially said that I wouldn't be capable of doing the coursework anyways.

I missed out on 2 years of education because a boy at my school molested me when I was 14. So I understand completely how awful you must feel losing out on countless experiences during those formative years.

Currently, I am studying a very difficult subject (Neuro) and I am absolutely miserable. Every staff member of my department is trying to prime the students for a career in full time, hands on laboratory work or a PhD, which I'm physically unable to do. Yet, this was the only STEM degree I actually had the qualifications for..

Like you, I feel trapped in an unwinnable situation, because I can't fucking work and I'm being forced to do this bloody competitive stressful degree that will lead me nowhere.
High pressure career gang lol

I used to work in a neuro lab, dm me if you want to chat about it.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Life sucks and KuriGohan&Kamehameha
Alwaysbadtime

Alwaysbadtime

Enlightened
Jun 28, 2021
Currently, I am studying a very difficult subject (Neuro) and I am absolutely miserable.
I hope this isn't a horrific animal lab. I learned of prominent universites torturing animals for random studies that were completely unnessary to use animals for.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Life sucks and KuriGohan&Kamehameha
L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
Life is inherently wrong concept and time is one of the fundamental faults. The time flow deteriorates everything. Unfortunately we feel the pain of that, everything disappears and we miss the lost time and we can't retrieve it anymore.

We just miss and lose things throughout the life then we lose our lives at the end. It doesn't require intelligence or complicated theories to understand that. It's a simple and straightforward fact. People should accept the truth instead of lying and forcing others to suffer.

That's why humans are so delusional. If they don't accept such an obvious fact, they won't even care about details like life quality. What they say is "Life is good" so for them anything bad that happens is just a detail of something good. They worship "life" instead of caring about the suffering of others.

Time will always move and we miss every possibility we want. Personally, I have had a lot of things I want to do. Games, hobbies, etc but time is very limited. Even now when I'm writing this post I'm missing something else. It's not only about missing the possibility but even if the possibility happens, it's impossible to experience it again.

Then there is also the bad and unwanted possibilities. It hurts and is unremovable. It keeps accumulating throughout the whole life and there is no solution. The bad experiences creates more desires but unfortunately people aren't supportive.

There are many possibilities about potential relationships but it hurts when someone can't experience what they want. It's not wrong to express yourself and want someone who understands you. It's not wrong to express sexuality. However, most people are superficial about it and only push for the propaganda of reproduction that makes one suffer and brings more sufferers. At least if they force people to live (which is something I'm against), let them live and do the things they want without harm.

Unfortunately life has more and more problems specially about the biological body which is very problematic. Anhedonia and depression are very terrible, Anhedonia ruins the possibility of enjoyment and wastes moment of life. Personally much time of my life wasted when I'm struggling against anhedonia to get the brain chemicals back.

Life is a mess. The flow of time is alway moving and torturing the biological body in several ways. Good memories, bad memories, pain, diseases, mental illnesses, traumas, etc. Everything turns to pain at the end. And the sad part is how there is no solution at all.

Reactions: FuneralCry, ithappens, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 1 other person
Seiba

Seiba

Arcanist
Jun 13, 2021
Dear Stoics/Buddhists/CBT pushers, please indulge us & conduct this harmless little experiment. Lather yourselves with honey & sit on a large anthill. Inspect all the silly, irrelevant thoughts, feelings & physical sensations that arise in you as the ants nibble away at your flesh extremely carefully, soberly, impartially; don't move, don't attempt to fight what you are experiencing in any way, embrace & overcome/transcend it by sheer power of your reason & will. We are confident that you will triumph over adversity & that something as trivial as being slowly eaten alive will never erase the serene, dignified, wise smiles on your faces.
the forum has now peaked

• Love
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, deflationary and LittleJem
S

stage4johnny

Jun 22, 2023
Yeah,what's up Kuri,are you still here?😉