M

mapletree

Student
Aug 22, 2020
Oh man this kind of behavior pisses me off so much. There should be a massive social shame attached to posting "awareness" shit on social media and then like being extra useless when the "awareness" translates into real life. Like no not everyone is a mental health expert that can deal with acutely suicidal people but if you're going to do the awareness posts at least make a half assed attempt to be helpful jfc

the term "virtue signaling" gets over used but this is an actual example of the phenomenon. Also I would unfollow David's posts because they sound like they suck. I get the impulse to keep following people and it took me forever to break it though. But David's posts do not sound like they are bringing you joy

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Sprite_Geist, Mm80 and 1 other person
M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
No, I'm not being rude. I am just blunt. Your post wasn't actually that clear as to what your complaint or issue was so I was TRYING to understand it more to give you advice.

I am sorry to hear of your breakdown and failed attempt. Sounds like you have a lot to deal with.

If this David character has blocked you, how can you see what he's posting? Is this person a real life friend? Maybe don't worry about what people who block you are posting. Social media is going to be a shit storm this month of Suicide Awareness virtue signalling which is why I've temporarily disabled all my social media. I find the whole thing immensely cringe and insincere
Ok thanks for explaining :hug:
I can basically guess what he is posting because I can see when people "quote" his tweet, they make a comment and it's praise about what he is doing for mental health and suicide prevention.
I am basically ranting because he is being a massive hypocrite along with all the other mental health academics and professionals who post suicide prevention stuff but then obviously are actually disgusted at people who do try to end their own life. Like I said I never messaged him. He blocked me after I posted it.
You're right. It is a shit storm right now.
Oh man this kind of behavior pisses me off so much. There should be a massive social shame attached to posting "awareness" shit on social media and then like being extra useless when the "awareness" translates into real life. Like no not everyone is a mental health expert that can deal with acutely suicidal people but if you're going to do the awareness posts at least make a half assed attempt to be helpful jfc

the term "virtue signaling" gets over used but this is an actual example of the phenomenon. Also I would unfollow David's posts because they sound like they suck. I get the impulse to keep following people and it took me forever to break it though. But David's posts do not sound like they are bringing you joy
It's ok he's literally blocked me :pfff: sadly I can still see generally what topics he is engaging in because I can see other people's comments on his posts but not his actual posts.
And exactly. At least people could try to be a bit helpful and at the very very least not block me because I've admitted I attempted suicide. The whole thing is absolutely ridiculous and it concerns me when people like that are working for organisations preventing suicide when they don't actually care. But then that just probably reflects how these kind of suicide prevention campaigns don't actually address the real issues of the suicidal person.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Mm80 and Emily_Numb
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
Hey sorry I saw the notification and realised I hadn't replied to David Brent yet!! I wouldn't be surprised if he did have a semi colon tattoo :pfff: :pfff:
No its ok madbananas, as you know the brentmeister is basically a chilled out entertainer lol. Its horrible to see that kind of hypocrisy but sadly not a surprise.

• Love
Reactions: madbananas
Emily_Numb

Emily_Numb

Wizard
Jan 14, 2020
Ok thanks for explaining :hug:
I can basically guess what he is posting because I can see when people "quote" his tweet, they make a comment and it's praise about what he is doing for mental health and suicide prevention.
I am basically ranting because he is being a massive hypocrite along with all the other mental health academics and professionals who post suicide prevention stuff but then obviously are actually disgusted at people who do try to end their own life. Like I said I never messaged him. He blocked me after I posted it.
You're right. It is a shit storm right now.
Yes but what I'm trying to say, it's not MH and Academics job to coach you over Twitter. It's a very hard job working in that field and they can't rescue everyone. I'm not surprised they would block you as I'm sure they see a lot of threads on Suicide all the time and have to protect themselves.

If this 'David' is just some celebrity or something and not your friend in real life, with a huge following, I'm not surprised he's blocked a Suicide post. Most people are terrified of witnessing another online suicide so they are hyper vigilant the moment. Most people don't actually know what to say to a suicidal person and but the sound of it you are getting worked up by a total stranger you've never been in contact with. Why does this matter to you so much? Most people who post Suicide awareness stuff just don't so because the can't find any words and let's all be honest, most suicidal people don't speak to anyone about it anyway.

M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
Yes but what I'm trying to say, it's not MH and Academics job to coach you over Twitter. It's a very hard job working in that field and they can't rescue everyone. I'm not surprised they would block you as I'm sure they see a lot of threads on Suicide all the time and have to protect themselves.

If this 'David' is just some celebrity or something and not your friend in real life, with a huge following, I'm not surprised he's blocked a Suicide post. Most people are terrified of witnessing another online suicide so they are hyper vigilant the moment. Most people don't actually know what to say to a suicidal person and but the sound of it you are getting worked up by a total stranger you've never been in contact with. Why does this matter to you so much? Most people who post Suicide awareness stuff just don't so because the can't find any words and let's all be honest, most suicidal people don't speak to anyone about it anyway.
I wasn't asking in any way to be coached by anyone. I just didn't expect to be blocked by someone who literally is posting about importance of social connectedness. I mean, if you're going to brand yourself as something online, don't go and do the exact opposite of what you say you stand for. It's incredibly isolating and makes me feel like I don't deserve empathy that he's shouting that everyone deserves. I'm sorry but it's complete hypocrisy. And he is actually a colleague. I'm very aware of the work that mh and academics get involved in. I'm also aware of the major theory practice gap that prevents people from actually getting help despite all the global aims for reducing inequalities, including discrimination and stigma. There are also mental health workers and academics who do things to build their own ego. They will talk the talk but not walk the talk. And then there's the government who won't allow them to do a lot of stuff which would actually help. So I'm not blaming any single person, but there is accountability involved.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, puppy9, Sprite_Geist and 1 other person
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019

Op wasnt asking for help or coaching though from what i can see. And by blocking op, what was david protecting himself from? Criticism? A damaged reputation as a hero who can save everyone? If they are going to talk the talk, they should at least not block someone who mentions an attempted suicide. Yes they may not have the time to help everyone but blocking someone who hasnt even asked for help is pretty harsh imo.
I think it has annoyed op because he sees hypocrysy in it, and id feel the same.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: puppy9, Sprite_Geist and madbananas
M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
No its ok madbananas, as you know the brentmeister is basically a chilled out entertainer lol. Its horrible to see that kind of hypocrisy but sadly not a surprise.
Haha I love David Brent :pfff: And definitely! I'm disappointed but not surprised!:pfff:
Op wasnt asking for help or coaching though from what i can see. And by blocking op, what was david protecting himself from? Criticism? Adamaged reputation as a hero who can save everyone? If they are going to talk the talk, they should at least not block someone who mentions an attempted suicide. Yes they may not have the time to help everyone but blocking someone who hasnt even asked for help is pretty harsh imo.
I think it has annoyed op because he sees hypocrisy in it .
This is literally what I mean :heart:

Emily_Numb

Emily_Numb

Wizard
Jan 14, 2020
I wasn't asking in any way to be coached by anyone. I just didn't expect to be blocked by someone who literally is posting about importance of social connectedness. I mean, if you're going to brand yourself as something online, don't go and do the exact opposite of what you say you stand for. It's incredibly isolating and makes me feel like I don't deserve empathy that he's shouting that everyone deserves. I'm sorry but it's complete hypocrisy. And he is actually a colleague. I'm very aware of the work that mh and academics get involved in. I'm also aware of the major theory practice gap that prevents people from actually getting help despite all the global aims for reducing inequalities, including discrimination and stigma. There are also mental health workers and academics who do things to build their own ego. They will talk the talk but not walk the talk. And then there's the government who won't allow them to do a lot of stuff which would actually help. So I'm not blaming any single person, but there is accountability involved.
I think you need to try and get past the fact he blocked you. He has every right to curate what he sees and what he doesn't on social media. So are you. Most people are hypocrites at some point or another, it's just part of life. If he's a colleague and it bothers you that much, ask him about it when you next see him. For all you know your post could have been triggering for him. I think you need to step back from this to look at the bigger picture.

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
@madbananas is this the same guy you knew irl who screwed you over and then virtue signaled on social media?

M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
I think you need to try and get past the fact he blocked you. He has every right to curate what he sees and what he doesn't on social media. So are you. Most people are hypocrites at some point or another, it's just part of life. If he's a colleague and it bothers you that much, ask him about it when you next see him. For all you know your post could have been triggering for him. I think you need to step back from this to look at the bigger picture.
I appreciate you don't know my situation. I didn't really need a debate in this because it was intended as a vent.
@madbananas is this the same guy you knew irl who screwed you over and then virtue signaled on social media?
It is indeed :pfff:

• Love
Reactions: puppy9, Mm80 and GoodPersonEffed
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
Haha I love David Brent :pfff: And definitely! I'm disappointed but not surprised!:pfff:

This is literally what I mean :heart:

I can assure you that David Brent would not have blocked you like the other david. ☺

• Love
M

madbananas

Wizard
Apr 29, 2020
I can assure you that David Brent would not have blocked you like the other david. ☺
Yay!! :pfff: I don't think I'm necessarily overreacting with this one, I mean it is soo hypocritical it's unreal, and especially when it's such a serious subject.

Reactions: Mm80
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
Yay!! :pfff: I don't think I'm necessarily overreacting with this one, I mean it is soo hypocritical it's unreal, and especially when it's such a serious subject.
I agree and would feel the same.

• Hugs
Lmd

Lmd

Elementalist
Jul 12, 2020
A friend blocked me after my suicide attempt and he is now saying that if someone needs help they can count with him and everyone is saying that he is such a good friend! Another one stop talking with me and now is making jokes about suicidal stuff just to be popular. The only thing I can do is laugh from the distance, ***** them

Reactions: demuic
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
Rofl and crying at the same time because this is the virtue signalling at its absolute finest. Let's call him David. It makes me so mad that everyone is like All hail David, the amazing social media leader who is contributing to suicide prevention.
When in reality he literally cut me off after I spoke about my suicide attempt. How does someone live with themselves quite smugly (appearing so anyway) when doing stuff like that!?
I've actually had a rollercoaster of a week but this takes the biscuit.

That's hypocritical virtue signaling for you at its purest.

B

benjamind2020

Sep 18, 2020
Is this "David" an Australian by any chance?

Lilacmoon

Lilacmoon

Beautiful moon, take me away.
Sep 23, 2020
I feel this thread a lot because there was a girl I went to a party and seen, who I just found out the next day I had on Snapchat . She was feeling depresssed and I was there by her side comforting her and asking if she was okay and all that, she went all sexual afterwards and all, a story for another time, but recently months ago when I was depressed in a psych ward, I was talking to her and she blocked me cause I found myself in the state she was in before. People man how it come from helping someone to being separated from them soon after.

Oh, I feel that. That's never a good feeling. Sorry it happened to you. Some people can really be ungrateful.