Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
The existence of evil in the world seems to make it impossible for us to have a meaningful life. In fact, evil is utterly unacceptable and that the suffering it brings about can never be justified. Is this argument unconfutable or do you believe that the meaning of life in the world can still be rescued even in the face of radical evil?

life is evil and meaningless.
Today or tomorrow sickness and death will come to those I love or to me; nothing will remain but stench and worms. Sooner or later my affairs, whatever they may be, will be forgotten, and I shall not exist. Then why go on making any effort? . . . How can man fail to see this? And how go on living? That is what is surprising! One can only live while one is intoxicated with life; as soon as one is sober it is impossible not to see that it is all a mere fraud and a stupid fraud! That is precisely what it is: there is nothing either amusing or witty about it, it is simply cruel and stupid.' Only to conclude with the question 'Is there any meaning in my life that the inevitable death awaiting me…
It merely makes it indifferent. When man takes a stand against the evil witnessed around him he tries to attribute a meaning to it in order to make sense of everything. So when man is repulsed by the evil on this planet, he is in fact angry because the universe is indifferent; indifferent towards his suffering, indifferent towards him. And in an indifferent world, a man asking for meaning will soon realize he is looking for something that isn't there, and this is what a lot of philosophers have described as absurd.

Reactions: sserafim, Hollowman and myusername890
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It really is, I see the existence of life as being the most horrific tragedy in the first place. All that existence is, is just a futile and meaningless process of waiting around to die, all that existence does is cause unnecessary suffering and torture. I'll always see it as something so terrible to be conscious and aware of this reality, wishing to cease existing is all that feels rational to me, to escape from the curse that is existing as a conscious being.

Reactions: sserafim