P

panda0342

Jan 3, 2024
Got KNO3, Will it work? or wait for SN?

Intoxicated

Intoxicated

M
Nov 16, 2023
Is there any particular reason it couldn't be rewritten as one molecule of each? I.e. NaNO3 + H202 —> NaNO2 + H20 + O2
I can't find such a reaction anywhere, and it looks weird. Hydrogen peroxide can oxidize nitrites to nitrates, and this property is well-known

so you can do

NaNO2 + H2O2 = NaNO3 + H2O

that is obviously not what you'd want to accomplish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
P

panda0342

Jan 3, 2024
You know one thing I have been considering is a ardunio or similar ble interface to a pulse oximeter somthing like a BM1000 that could poll for data ever 30 seconds to record heart rate and SpO2 maybe a nodemcu with ble support that could host a captive portal for wifi login then it would push the readings to a site with a given username and allow people through the portal to document their ctb attempt with time stamps if they want this would not only give affirmative confirmation to the community on ctb but also provide real life data as to effectiveness of certain methods etc

What's your thoughts ? I was more so thinking of outsourcing it to a 3rd party developer in like India as I'm mostly a script kiddy who can just barely hack his way around code there is admittedly a morbid curiosity within me that also is rooted in scientific data 🤷‍♂️
That surely is a great idea. An arduino board with most likely raspberry pi would make our lives easier. I haven't worked on physical medical devices. I can safely say there are multiple options available on amazon and ebay, for pulse and Spo2 arduino based sensors, That can connect with our board.

1. Their accuracy and calibration will require some extensive research. As margin of error should be very close to 0 in medical devices.

2. And for sensor results, we can simply install an SD Card slot on arduino. And put an 8 or 16 GB SD Card. That will server as our local storage. And it's management will be fairly easy, if we opt for a RaspBerry pi as mentioned earlier.

3. RaspBerry pi, already has a built in storage and wireless connection. either a WLAN or a GSM Modem is mostly installed. Eitherway, we could use RESTful APIs, in our Pi. And that would post data in a JSON format, or maybe a complete Database. Whatever you may wish to choose, using HTTPS protocols such as GET, PUT, DELETE etc.

4. Once Data is posted on our server. We need a front-end reporting system. Could be just a simple pdf too. Depends on whatever you prefer.

5. It would have been very effective, if we were a real team of Doctors & Engineers, working on a robust solution. But, using Arduino, R-Pies puts a target on our backs. Whatever address, server, ip or client is receiving data from the device. That is attatched to someone who made a suicide attempt or a successful one. We can be held responsible for aiding, not calling the authorities, even after knowing what was happening.

6. I ain't no lawyer. And the best guess is, we could get in trouble for pulling a stunt like that. Also there is no management body, that would distribute or sell such devices to someone commiting CBT, and is trustable.(Not a Cop or Fed).

7. And this will leave us vulnerable for multiple law suits, and in the whole world, except a few exceptions.

8. Meanwhile, a self destructive or single use device, could work and will be able to shield us from all such problems.

9. Tons of arenas to touch and fight in for this project. It's your idea, and you should make the choice about it's scope, application, life etc.
Sorry, been a rough and busy day. Gotta run for now. But you guys can dm me. if you need anything from me. I'll try my best to provide at the earliest. Meanwhile, @brokenpromise Best of luck to your experiments. @zel and me we are both confident we can work something good out of all of this. And trial and error, that's how we learn.

@brokenpromise The lab is your canvas, paint it white with Nitrite.
@zel DM me for further planning or anything, related to your idea. I am sure, I can get you a road map at the very least, if you decide to go forward with it. DM requesting, because certain elements of our conversation would be best, if kept private.
Talk later [whatever gender u prefer]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
brokenpromise

brokenpromise

Chemist
Jan 3, 2024
I can't find such a reaction anywhere, and it looks weird. Hydrogen peroxide can oxidize nitrites to nitrates, and this property is well-known

so you can do

NaNO2 + H2O2 = NaNO3 + H2O

that is obviously not what you'd want to accomplish.
Reduction of Sodium Nitrate (NaNO3) to Sodium Nitrite (NaNO2)

In sodium nitrate, nitrogen is in the +5 oxidation state.
In sodium nitrite, nitrogen is in the +3 oxidation state.
This reduction (gain of electrons) is a plausible part of the reaction, where sodium nitrate is reduced to sodium nitrite.

Decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2):

Hydrogen peroxide is a oxidizing agent.
It can decompose into water (H2O) and oxygen (O2). In this process, oxygen in H2O2 (initially at a -1 oxidation state) is reduced to form water (where oxygen is at a -2 oxidation state) and oxidized to form oxygen gas (where oxygen is at a 0 oxidation state).

The reaction is a redox process where NaNO3 is reduced (nitrogen goes from +5 to +3 oxidation state), and H2O2 is both reduced (to H2O) and oxidized (to O2).
The overall stoichiometry of the reaction is balanced, with the number of atoms of each element being equal on both sides of the equation.

I'm not at all saying it is write or wrong and just because there isn't sources doesn't mean it's wrong either

Another outcome I have seen is under certain ph conditions peroxynitric acid can be produced as well

This is why outline test and confirm and reproduce

• Love
Reactions: panda0342
Upvote 0
brokenpromise

brokenpromise

Chemist
Jan 3, 2024
So to report back there was some conversion to nitrite however not the purity I had anticipated nor was it good enough that I would recommend this method *yet* the kno3 reaction however I tossed and restarted before I left as it seems that my starting material was contaminated I have both on a very low speed mag stir right now and will report back on Monday

• Love
Reactions: panda0342 and zel
Upvote 0
brokenpromise

brokenpromise

Chemist
Jan 3, 2024
So the peroxide method is viable if you can also do the recrystallization purification initial conversion was 78.374 % in the potassium nitrate to nitrite conversion so some refinement is needed

However subsequent tests with the thermal decomposition method showed more reliable and immediate results showing a higher degree of purity

Thus it would be my recommendation that the thermal decomp process be the best method in which to convert nitrate to nitrite safely there are several online videos that detail this further but it would be my recommendation that this is the route a person goes should they want to be successful

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: Intoxicated and panda0342
Upvote 0
P

panda0342

Jan 3, 2024
So the peroxide method is viable if you can also do the recrystallization purification initial conversion was 78.374 % in the potassium nitrate to nitrite conversion so some refinement is needed

However subsequent tests with the thermal decomposition method showed more reliable and immediate results showing a higher degree of purity

Thus it would be my recommendation that the thermal decomp process be the best method in which to convert nitrate to nitrite safely there are several online videos that detail this further but it would be my recommendation that this is the route a person goes should they want to be successful
Good to know, thanks brother. And I sourced 2 KG of SN. And I guess, I'll be going with lab grade 99% pure SN. :)

Upvote 0