amnotreal

amnotreal

Student
Oct 20, 2019
I know people getting esketamine paid by insurance

D

deadalready1969

Nov 5, 2019
Yes, I get infusions about once a month. It does stop my suicidal ideation for a week or so and dampens the thoughts, but they are still there. And I impulsively attempted (and obviously failed) in January. So it hasn't cured me, but I'd credit ketamine with keeping me alive for the most part.

I dissociate only slightly during my treatments; it's not a hard or bad trip and it's not meant to be since the dose given is medicinal, not recreational. I've never had side effects other than a slight headache on a few occasions, never any disorientation that wouldn't be unexpected after being under anesthesia. An anesthesiologist administers my infusions and I'm monitored the entire time (vitals, periodic check in by a nurse). I usually just listen to groovy music and kick back, then nap for an hour afterwards.

I've been getting infusions since 2017. I won't switch to the nasal spray. It's not even the same drug, only similar. And it's shown to have a poor absorption rate. It's more expensive than my infusions too. Neither are covered by insurance.

You need about six IV treatments over a two week period upfront to have a chance at ketamine working for you. And it's important not to let too much time pass between boosters.
I know people getting esketamine paid by insurance

My insurance unfortunately won't cover it. It's not the same drug as ketamine either and has a poor absorption rate, so I'm still doing infusions. My anesthesiologist gives me a discount. She's also great about getting me in on a moment's notice — like within hours — for a treatment if I'm suddenly actively suicidal, which often happens right before my cycle because of hormonal changes, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Throwawaysoul
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Try Kratom first as probably easier to access, good for pain and depression. Didn't help me, neither did Ketamine. But all worth trying

Throwawaysoul

Throwawaysoul

Wizard
May 14, 2018
Yes, I get infusions about once a month. It does stop my suicidal ideation for a week or so and dampens the thoughts, but they are still there. And I impulsively attempted (and obviously failed) in January. So it hasn't cured me, but I'd credit ketamine with keeping me alive for the most part.

It only helps for a week? Are once a month boosters typical? I've read similar things. Even though I can afford it, "for me" I don't think the value is there.

How do you find relief for the rest of the month?

D

deadalready1969

Nov 5, 2019
It only helps for a week? Are once a month boosters typical? I've read similar things. Even though I can afford it, "for me" I don't think the value is there.

How do you find relief for the rest of the month?

I'd describe it as my SI being turned off for the day of my infusion. Sometimes for several days. Otherwise, the volume is turned down to a 2-3 for the first week, then it's turned up to a 4-5 the next week, and it gets progressively louder again. To have times when my mind is just quieter though and not ruminating and actively planning is welcome. Since I have PTSD, the treatments have been especially helpful with minimizing intrusive memories and flashbacks. I also take a blood pressure med called Prazosin for that.

Some people can go longer between boosters. Since my SI is really strong around my cycle because of premenstrual dysphoric disorder, I try to time them that way. My doc has some patients who can go two months without needing a booster, but I think the average time she recommends is six weeks.

I have difficulty affording it, but I've found a lot of value in it. For suicidal ideation, PTSD, plus it helps a bit with chronic pain conditions I have (thoracic outlet syndrome and different cranial neuralgias, one which is actually nicknamed 'the suicide disease' because of the excruciating pain it causes. Trigeminal neuralgia.).

Last edited:
Reactions: Throwawaysoul
Throwawaysoul

Throwawaysoul

Wizard
May 14, 2018
@deadalready1969

Thank you for taking the time to help me better understand.

D

deadalready1969

Nov 5, 2019
@deadalready1969

Thank you for taking the time to help me better understand.

You're welcome. I'm happy to share my experiences. I've done a lot of research on alternative PTSD treatments, ketamine being one. During my next infusion, I'm getting a stellate ganglion block. Those are being used in veterans and others who have trauma histories to calm the sympathetic nervous system. It's supposed to help with my pain conditions too, so that's a bonus.

Emily_Numb

Emily_Numb

Wizard
Jan 14, 2020
I know this is an old thread but Ketamine treatment is available in the UK. It's a private/paid for service, run by the NHS in Oxford. The consultation is £150, there is a lot of paperwork to do before this and you have to log your mood daily for at least 2 weeks before the consultation. They email you a questionnaire every day. If you don't fill in the paperwork or your questionnaires, you get taken off the list. The infusions themselves *if* you are accepted, are £215 each and you have to have a course of three during the first 4 weeks. I have a consultation coming up in a couple of week for it so will keep you posted.

Reactions: L-L and LittleJem
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Thank you Emily, please do. I realised it is cheaper here than USA. Lots of luck with it

Reactions: Emily_Numb
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Ps am going to DIY some tonight and hope tomorrow is a good day.

Reactions: Emily_Numb