it's_all_a_game

it's_all_a_game

I remember...death in the afternoon...
Nov 7, 2020
I've posted a ton about JD in the chat, but I want to make a thread to see if others feel the same way as me about this fine group.

Joy Division was a band that lasted from 1978 to '80. The band was started by Peter Hook and Bernard Albercht after witnessing a Sex Pistols concert & feeling their utter lack of pretentiousness meant they, too, could be rock stars. They recruited Stephen Morris on drums and put out a poster to get a singer; they found Ian Curtis. Ian was the lyricist of the band, while he was a terrible vocalist, his lyrics touched the hearts of many, me included, Ian CTBed at 23 due to a few issues like epilepsy, a love triangle he was in, and more. Here are some songs from JD that speak to me as a suicidal person:

Insight
- This song seems to written from the perspective of someone who is disillusioned by the world and has given up. "Guess your dreams always end. They don't rise up just descend, but I don't care anymore, I've lost the will to want more."

Isolation
- This song uses primitive synths to set the mood. The lyrics are rather abstract, but this verse packs a punch: "Mother I tried please believe me, I'm doing the best that I can. I'm ashamed of the things I've been put through, I'm ashamed of the person I am."

Passover - This song has some sick percussive drum beats. There's a verse here that seems to be from the viewpoint of someone who can't deal with life's changes and challenges: "Watching the reel as it comes to a close, brutally taking its time, people who change for no reason at all, it's happening all of the time. Can I go on with this train of events? Disturbing and purging my mind, back out of my duties, when all's said and done, I know that I'll lose every time."

The Eternal - This song is apparently about a funeral procession. The lyrics are just beautiful. I wish this song could be played at my funeral: "Procession moves on, the shouting is over, praise to the glory of loved ones now gone. Talking aloud as they sit round their tables, scattering flowers washed down by the rain."

Decades - An emotionally exhausting track, this song is about going to Hell after you're dead and seeing your life replayed in front of you. This songs lyrics are pure poetry: "Watched from the wings as the scenes were replaying, we saw ourselves now as we never had seen. Portrayal of the trauma and degeneration, the sorrows we suffered and never were free."

Love Will Tear Us Apart - An amazing song. I plan on listening to this one on the day I CTB as I drink SN. This song is maybe about Ian's relationship with his wife Deborah, but there's no confirmation. "You cry out in your sleep, all my failings exposed. And there's a taste in my mouth, as desperation takes hold. Just that something so good, just can't function no more."

Ceremony
- My favourite song by this band. This was the last song Ian wrote before he CTBed. I could quote the whole lyrics of this one, it's THAT good.

• Love
Reactions: naiad, bornintoagrave, Studio84 and 6 others
ohhgeeitsme

ohhgeeitsme

Wizard
Feb 5, 2020
Another personal favorite of mine you didn't mention:

If I had to pick just one though, it would probably be Ceremony. The feeling I get with that song is indescribable. It makes me feel very nostalgic, even though it was before my time.

• Love
Reactions: Studio84, BluesRunTheGame, Mistake of Nature and 1 other person
Mistake of Nature

Mistake of Nature

A shadow suspended on dust
Mar 30, 2020
The music of Joy Division touches me so deeply that it's sometimes uncomfortable for me to listen to them. Doing so forces me to confront my own darkness and the futility of trying to fight against it. Still, I love them very much and they've helped me to endure throughout the years. Aside from the ones already mentioned, these are some of my favorites:

"Directionless, so plain to see a loaded gun won't set you free, so you say. I've walked on water, run through fire, can't seem to feel it anymore. It was me, waiting for me, hoping for something more. Me, seeing me this time, hoping for something else."

"Existence, well, what does it matter? I exist on the best terms I can. The past is now part of my future, the present is well out of hand. Heart and soul, one will burn."

• Love
Reactions: naiad, BluesRunTheGame, it's_all_a_game and 1 other person
ohhgeeitsme

ohhgeeitsme

Wizard
Feb 5, 2020
The music of Joy Division touches me so deeply that it's sometimes uncomfortable for me to listen to them. Doing so forces me to confront my own darkness and the futility of trying to fight against it.

Same.

• Love
Reactions: Mistake of Nature and it's_all_a_game
signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
I grew up and still live in the same area as Curtis lived.

The film Control made about him/the band is worth checking out if you haven't already, lead cast performances esp good.

• Love
Reactions: bornintoagrave and it's_all_a_game