L

lessthanperfect

Student
Mar 30, 2023
Right now my goal is to join the US military (specific non-combat job). No personal allegiance to the US or to its military but I need a job that provides for basic necessities (which the military specifically does) or provides money for basic necessities, keeps me busy at work but doesn't assign homework (this isn't school; been there, done that; never again), and provides enough money that I can be alive.

Also, dying a "hero" on the battlefield wouldn't bother me much. Every time I discuss the military with my family and explain that there are no cons, they're like "bUt YoU cOuLd DiE!!!!!" and I say nothing, but I silently stand by my point that there are no cons.

I've considered other minimum wage jobs, but they don't provide room and board and food so I'd have to factor that into my budget and going military sounds simpler.

If you can beat the military, it's a good suggestion.

Reactions: FRUSTRATED MIND, WhatPowerIs, Noridion and 2 others
deafening

deafening

louder than words
Sep 21, 2023
I think it's very commendable to join the military, although I'm not sure I could ever do so myself. My skills heavily involve computers, and oddly enough it is rather common for self taught software engineers to score a career without formal education.

Reactions: lavender143once
Touhou

Touhou

2hu
Mar 9, 2023
The military. 🦅🇺🇸

Reactions: lavender143once and lessthanperfect
Baldwin IV

Baldwin IV

Cat Lover
Sep 21, 2023
Look there are some options but that very much depends if you live in a city, town or small town. Customer Service jobs, like call-centres pay alright and will keep you busy and won't assign homework, plus if you're good you could move up the food chain.
Second could be trying out as either a server or a host, that pay depends heavily on the policies of your workplace.
Third could be retail jobs but I've heard the pay ain't that good.
In the end you'll have to weigh in what things have more value to you, money, time or relationships.

Reactions: lessthanperfect and Noridion
R

Renee

Sep 14, 2023
Tell me more what you are interested in and are you a boy or girl. ? I used to work at a non combat army training bas and I can give you a zillion ideas.

Reactions: lessthanperfect
Brown-Jacket Revy

Brown-Jacket Revy

Waste
Jul 10, 2023
The likelihood of "dying on the battlefield" right now is probably slim to none.

The reality is, if you join as a low level, you'll more than likely be a janitor/errand boy unless you actually have a useful MOS.

The military is a great option for someone who can't figure out what else to do with their life.

You basically get a steady paycheck for simply existing.

If you can make it through basic training and AIT (getting used to being cussed out, belittled, publicly humiliated), then you'll be fine.

Reactions: Passersby and lessthanperfect
todienomore

todienomore

Arcanist
Apr 7, 2023
id say learn a skilled trade.

Contract tree climbers can make a killing, my friend is at the top of the game, charges 700/day just to show up and make a mess. Its not even that hard unless its over 90F out. Im in it but am getting out because im too antisocial.

You can go do other industrial climbing too, or even stage rigging, sailboat rigging, zipline construction, whatever.

Reactions: sadbirthday, Passersby, ChiseHatori and 1 other person
duwangJEff

duwangJEff

Sep 12, 2023
Well, depending on what's around, you could sell your soul to the factories. There's plenty of unskilled labor jobs where I am, and though they don't pay a ton, they pay enough to afford rent, maybe a car payment, and groceries. If you want to take this route, I'd also suggest looking into some temp agencies. I've had difficulties when applying directly to places, but temp agencies can offer a way to get your foot in the door and potentially get hired in somewhere.

That said, I would not suggest this path, because these factories often work you a fuck ton of hours, the jobs are boring, and they can often be very unpleasant and stressful. Currently, I work 10 hour days 5 days a week, which is doable, but I'm constantly exhausted.

Another option is a skilled trade. There are trade unions that will pay for your training and provide you a paycheck if you can get into their apprenticeship programs. This option takes a while, but is better in the long run. I am trying to get into one of these apprenticeships myself

Reactions: Salvation_, Passersby, ChiseHatori and 1 other person
R

Renee

Sep 14, 2023
92% of US Army is support Less than 8% army is in battle. BAck in 1960s when US had 500,000 troups in Viet NAm only 50,000 fought. Amazing huh?

Heating/airconditining, cook, mortician, firemasn, wash machine maintenance, MP deisal truck mechanic, lagistics, clearks, parachute rigger medic, tank mechanid, tow truck driver, all of these are civilian tranferable jobs. if you stay in 20 years at 38 you get retirement and start another career. as you get rank you can get management expeirience even especially if you speak spanish be a large restaurant manager and if a chain you can move to another city. or stay in then get out and intoi army reserves. one weekend a month and 2 weeks in summer.

I can't remember all. being a vet gives you extra points for govt jobs also.

A

adrenalinejunkie

Sep 22, 2023
I think the military is a great option. You will have immediate housing, food, clothing, money, etc. It also provides structure, skills, purpose and goals. There's tons of options so find something that's fun and interesting to you and it feels less like just a job. My nephew joined the Army and chose the bomb squad diffusing explosives - now there's something everyone here could get behind (I'm kidding!!) He went to flight school and now flying these massive twin rotor helicopters. Anyway it sounds like your immediate needs are basics and the military is a great safe bet and place to start.

EternalShore

EternalShore

Hardworking Lass who Dreams of Love~ 💕✨
Jun 9, 2023
Military sounds good to me! xD How about trade school tho? :)

Akanea

Akanea

Student
May 24, 2023
Railroad jobs usually don't require diploma you get a formation on the job

L

lessthanperfect

Student
Mar 30, 2023
The likelihood of "dying on the battlefield" right now is probably slim to none.

The reality is, if you join as a low level, you'll more than likely be a janitor/errand boy unless you actually have a useful MOS.

The military is a great option for someone who can't figure out what else to do with their life.

You basically get a steady paycheck for simply existing.

If you can make it through basic training and AIT (getting used to being cussed out, belittled, publicly humiliated), then you'll be fine.
92% of US Army is support Less than 8% army is in battle. BAck in 1960s when US had 500,000 troups in Viet NAm only 50,000 fought. Amazing huh?
I agree, which is why fear of dying for my country doesn't really factor into my decision much at all. The only problem is that every civilian I talk to about being interested in a military career freaks out and is like "you could die!!!!"

Thank you to everyone who replied. Your advice is very useful. I'll probably stick with my current plan and join the military.

• Hugs
Reactions: EternalShore and Brown-Jacket Revy
JordanF

JordanF

Sep 21, 2023
If you go into the military, try to ace the ASVAB so that you do so you can pick a good MOS that will help you in the civilian job market later down the road. Supply chain management, cyber security, geospacial intelligence, and power production are just some random examples that can really help you.

You can also become an apprentice for some sort of trade if you don't want the military. My dad does an "easier" trade (painting) and he makes $90k a year at a unionized job with some of the best pension and healthcare in the country. People say that it'll ruin your body, but some aren't too bad as long as you are careful. My dad is in his 60s and only has some lower back pain, but office workers also often have lower back pain so it's not unique to the trades. A lot of trades are just dying for new employees.

Reactions: lessthanperfect and Brown-Jacket Revy
ButterToast

ButterToast

Liar who can't separate lies from reality
Aug 11, 2023
Right now my goal is to join the US military (specific non-combat job). No personal allegiance to the US or to its military but I need a job that provides for basic necessities (which the military specifically does) or provides money for basic necessities, keeps me busy at work but doesn't assign homework (this isn't school; been there, done that; never again), and provides enough money that I can be alive.

Also, dying a "hero" on the battlefield wouldn't bother me much. Every time I discuss the military with my family and explain that there are no cons, they're like "bUt YoU cOuLd DiE!!!!!" and I say nothing, but I silently stand by my point that there are no cons.

I've considered other minimum wage jobs, but they don't provide room and board and food so I'd have to factor that into my budget and going military sounds simpler.

try to get into carpentry, they pay surprisingly well. Plumbing, welding, and tbh. You can get trained quick and they pay quite well

P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
sales.

the money can be like no other. problem is, not everyone's built for it. if you have solid interpersonal skills, i would definitely try sales, whether it's in fin, tech, software, anything SaaS related is filled with people who didn't attend college, but are better off than their counterparts who have gotten a degree and pursued a particular field.

best of luck.

• Informative
Reactions: WhatPowerIs and lessthanperfect
R

Renee

Sep 14, 2023
Well there were 34,000 "soldiers" at this training base fresh from Basic Training. It seemed all either were black inner city kids trying to escape The Projects or white farm kids trying to escape the farm. Look at it this way if you went to HVAC after a few years you could get a job at the US Capital with all the Senators and Congress People. Would be a very cool job. Think long term which I never could do to gender dysphoria disrupting my thoughts.

L

lessthanperfect

Student
Mar 30, 2023
sales.

the money can be like no other. problem is, not everyone's built for it. if you have solid interpersonal skills, i would definitely try sales, whether it's in fin, tech, software, anything SaaS related is filled with people who didn't attend college, but are better off than their counterparts who have gotten a degree and pursued a particular field.

best of luck.
Not sure I'm cut out for that. I specifically chose my (hopeful) future Army MOS because the alternative would require being good at communicating with and interpreting people.

id say learn a skilled trade.

Contract tree climbers can make a killing, my friend is at the top of the game, charges 700/day just to show up and make a mess. Its not even that hard unless its over 90F out. Im in it but am getting out because im too antisocial.

You can go do other industrial climbing too, or even stage rigging, sailboat rigging, zipline construction, whatever.
try to get into carpentry, they pay surprisingly well. Plumbing, welding, and tbh. You can get trained quick and they pay quite well

Are these apprenticeship-based trades or trade school-based trades? Or does it depend?

Does carpentry require artistic skills or just following instruction skills? I'm definitely not artistic enough if that's necessary.

And do any of these require minimal socializing skills? Not counting dealing with people occasionally, but just not all the time?

ButterToast

ButterToast

Liar who can't separate lies from reality
Aug 11, 2023

Not sure I'm cut out for that. I specifically chose my (hopeful) future Army MOS because the alternative would require being good at communicating with and interpreting people.

Are these apprenticeship-based trades or trade school-based trades? Or does it depend?

Does carpentry require artistic skills or just following instruction skills? I'm definitely not artistic enough if that's necessary.

And do any of these require minimal socializing skills? Not counting dealing with people occasionally, but just not all the time?
Idk much about the process to get into carpentry, but it doesn't need artistic ability. You're not gonna make a wooden bear statue or anything like that, most of the time you're going to work with woods to build furniture or building material for homes or stuff like that. Reddit has indicated that apprenticeship work is a pretty good idea, it might be hard at first, but you should be fine after the first few months as your body gets used to the physical demand. I don't live in the US, but good luck!!

R

Renee

Sep 14, 2023
I came across this.

Following

Answer

Spaces

Notifications

Try Quora+

Profile photo for Renee Triplett

Add question

Can an individual joining the United States military choose a non-combat position?

Profile photo for Kenneth Boyd

Kenneth Boyd
Works at U.S. ArmyUpvoted by
John Littleton
, former Airborne Infantryman at U.S. Army (1994-1998) and
Andrew Ben David Hessel
, former Special Forces Medic. 5th SFG at U.S. Army (1999-2005)4y
In the Army there are three different types of career fields:
Combat Arms, the guys who are the fighters and concentrate on the fighting.
Combat Support, the guys who support the fighters and, often, have to fight themselves because they work for the guys who fight. Maintenance, Food, Fuel, Ammo, Communications. All definitely within artillery range, if they support fighting units. However, they support non-combat arms units, too.
Combat Service Support, the guys who support everyone. Pay, legal services, Chaplains. They still have to protect themselves and still can be assigned to combat arms units, but aren't expected to assault any beaches or breach doors on an assault team.
I've been Communications, maintenance and Infantry throughout my 30 years of service. In my 3 combat deployments, I was slotted as a Radio Operator, but all three was assigned infantry units. 2d and 3rd deployments with LRS units and our radio operators often went on combat patrols with the teams. Even support units have to fight every once in a while. We fought on tower guard duty, we fought on convoys, just like every unit did in Iraq and Afghanistan and we took rocket, mortar, and artillery fire while on our FOB, and even small arms fire, too.
My point is that if you are interested in joining the military but not be in combat...try the Air Force. No, wait, they still were in my FOB and were attacked daily right along side me and a Military Intelligence Battalion. Try the Coast Guard. Nope...they were in Iraq, too.
If you don't want combat, don't join. Seriously. But if you want to risk a little fighting and learn a trade while earning money for college, by all means join.
I am a First Sergeant of a Forward Support Company. There is no room for any Soldier who doesn't want to fight in my formation. Absolutely none. My Soldiers will go anywhere and do anything to support our Infantry Battalion and we will kill the enemy while doing it.

Serial Experi Pain

Serial Experi Pain

I hate me more :P
Sep 12, 2023
I don't know what's actually honorable or commendable about joining the army, but it's at least a job/paycheck.

Reactions: lessthanperfect and Passersby
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
Man, I would love a bomb disposal job. If it can't be done by a drone or robot I'd be happy to help.

• Yay!
Reactions: Serial Experi Pain
Coldpizza22

Coldpizza22

Crafter
Apr 2, 2023
What about plumbing, HVAC, septic tank cleaning? I don't think they require any special knowledge (at least fir the more common basic stuff) and they can pay well.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I think it's very commendable to join the military, although I'm not sure I could ever do so myself. My skills heavily involve computers, and oddly enough it is rather common for self taught software engineers to score a career without formal education.
I will second this and say it's possibly, but the market is certainly not what it used to be. It's quite a bit harder to go the self taught route now than it is previously. I feel that people who go through boot camps have better odds than a self taught person at the moment.

Never impossible and the market seems very volatile currently, it could get better or worse very fast. It seems on the rise after the mass layoffs post-Covid though.

Reactions: lessthanperfect and deafening
L

lessthanperfect

Student
Mar 30, 2023
I don't know what's actually honorable or commendable about joining the army, but it's at least a job/paycheck.
Honorable because societally, our lives are our most valued possessions and putting that at risk for patriotism shows how much you're willing to sacrifice.

Wouldn't be honorable in my situation though, because I don't place much value on my life already and my joining has nothing to do with patriotism or serving others. I just want to be able to afford to live.

HyugaHarbor

HyugaHarbor

Oct 1, 2023
I did some research for you regarding potential job opportunities that provide room, board, and other benefits. Here's what I found.
  1. AmeriCorps: This is a civil society program supported by the U.S. federal government, foundations, corporations, and other donors engaging adults in public service work with a goal of "helping others and meeting critical needs in the community." Members commit to full-time or part-time positions offered by a network of nonprofit community organizations and public agencies, to fulfill assignments in the fields of education, public safety, health care, and environmental protection. They receive a living allowance and other benefits.
  2. Peace Corps: While this is a more extended commitment and might not be for everyone, it does provide room, board, and a stipend. It's an opportunity to work abroad and can be a rewarding experience.
  3. Firefighting: Many firefighting jobs provide room and board, especially in more remote areas. It's a physically demanding job, but it also offers a sense of purpose and community.
  4. Oil Rig Worker: These jobs typically provide room and board while you're on the rig. They can be physically demanding and require long hours, but the pay is generally good.
  5. Merchant Marine: Working on commercial ships can be a way to see the world, earn a good wage, and have your basic needs taken care of.
  6. Farming or Ranching: Some positions, especially in more remote areas, provide room and board. It's hard work, but it can be rewarding and offers a connection to the land.
  7. National Park Service or Conservation Corps: Working in national parks or with conservation groups can sometimes come with housing, especially if you're in a more remote location.
  8. Teaching Abroad: Many countries offer programs for foreigners to teach English. These positions often come with housing and a stipend.
  9. Cruise Ship Worker: While the hours can be long, room and board are provided, and you get to travel.
  10. Seasonal Resort Jobs: Many resorts hire seasonal workers and provide housing. Success development

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: lessthanperfect and WhatPowerIs
WhatPowerIs

WhatPowerIs

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
sales.

best of luck.
How do you break into sales?

M

MelancholicMundane

Sep 16, 2023
I did some research for you regarding potential job opportunities that provide room, board, and other benefits. Here's what I found.
  1. AmeriCorps: This is a civil society program supported by the U.S. federal government, foundations, corporations, and other donors engaging adults in public service work with a goal of "helping others and meeting critical needs in the community." Members commit to full-time or part-time positions offered by a network of nonprofit community organizations and public agencies, to fulfill assignments in the fields of education, public safety, health care, and environmental protection. They receive a living allowance and other benefits.
  2. Peace Corps: While this is a more extended commitment and might not be for everyone, it does provide room, board, and a stipend. It's an opportunity to work abroad and can be a rewarding experience.
  3. Firefighting: Many firefighting jobs provide room and board, especially in more remote areas. It's a physically demanding job, but it also offers a sense of purpose and community.
  4. Oil Rig Worker: These jobs typically provide room and board while you're on the rig. They can be physically demanding and require long hours, but the pay is generally good.
  5. Merchant Marine: Working on commercial ships can be a way to see the world, earn a good wage, and have your basic needs taken care of.
  6. Farming or Ranching: Some positions, especially in more remote areas, provide room and board. It's hard work, but it can be rewarding and offers a connection to the land.
  7. National Park Service or Conservation Corps: Working in national parks or with conservation groups can sometimes come with housing, especially if you're in a more remote location.
  8. Teaching Abroad: Many countries offer programs for foreigners to teach English. These positions often come with housing and a stipend.
  9. Cruise Ship Worker: While the hours can be long, room and board are provided, and you get to travel.
  10. Seasonal Resort Jobs: Many resorts hire seasonal workers and provide housing.View attachment 120820

I've also found this website to be pretty helpful at finding jobs in interesting places that usually provide housing/stipends.
https://www.coolworks.com/

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Meat cutter or butcher. It requires only on-the-job-training and pays a living wage. A coworker recently got promoted just months after he was hired. It is also relatively portable and allows for advancement into management at my work. After my company trains him, he could get probably get a job at a competitor. If I were not as far along in schooling, I would have considered it.

A

accountnamerequired

Oct 9, 2023
I feel this very much, I also have been looking into the military for a steady job and learning a real skill that would be transferable into a civilian career, not to mention you get free college after you leave to learn something else if you didn't like your job while you were in. I scored pretty ok on the asvab but meps is continuing to require more and more doctors appointments due to some medical issues before they'll truly say if I can get in or not. I definitely think you have the right idea about military service 100%, good luck!