• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Rex2019

Rex2019

Can't wait for the summer
Feb 23, 2019
Like the title says, do you think it's possible to overcome a mental illness? Especially, a major depression?

I was asking myself the question that camus says in his philosophy, ¿Does it worths to live life or not?

¿Does my life worths? ¿Even if I'm a mess?...

well some people succeed in doing it. I have heard cognitive behavioral therapy can rewire your brain and make permanent changes. Maybe something you can look into. I guess you must want it enough and must have a reason to live.

Reactions: AtomicNewt
dandan

dandan

One more attempt on life.
Feb 18, 2019
Meanwhile, I get scolded for saying this not a great place to ask advice for overcoming/healing/recovering from mental illness, but no one bats an eyelid at this?

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/rigging-up-a-self-decapitation-device.17940/

You want good religious advice - go to a church.
You want to hear everything is fine and everything will be okay - ask any positive dude out there.

You want to share with people with similar condition as you(supposedly people come here with issues) - come here, SS is a good place.

its easy...

and yes this is a great place for asking advice... on certain topics... like how can I die? because I hate my life.... and many others ... like.... is giving life another chance a good idea?

Reactions: Boonks and Fadinglife
S

Shamana

Warlock
May 31, 2019
You want good religious advice - go to a church.
You want to hear everything is fine and everything will be okay - as any positive dude out there.
You want to share with people with similar condition as you - come here.

its easy...

and yes this is a great place for asking advice... on certain topics... like how can I die? because I hate my life.... and many others ... like.... is giving life another chance a good idea?

Have I talked about religion in any other thread than a thread specifically about religion? It seems some people here are offended that no religion teaches that killing yourself will yield a positive result.

The OP is asking about overcoming depression. This is not the forum where you go looking for succes stories. They are out there, but people who have recovered are usually not busy on planning on how to kill themselves and advising other how people to do it.

Reactions: salibu
T

The Hunter

Jun 4, 2019
Like the title says, do you think it's possible to overcome a mental illness? Especially, a major depression?

I was asking myself the question that camus says in his philosophy, ¿Does it worths to live life or not?

I think the path may be to "accept the darkness" and not fight against it, I think those who seek "happiness" simply end up finding a difficult game ... I think we should move on even on the darkest nights

I think what I said may be a cliche and I do not know if there is a theory about it, but it's how I face life

• Love
Reactions: not_a_robot
dandan

dandan

Feb 18, 2019
Overcoming a mental illness or limitaion is possible,
I just dont think you will find it with only the use of medication, or therapy....

its system, it takes will, intention, desire, commitment and most importantly paying the price, cause its not going to be an easy walk in the park.

AtomicNewt

AtomicNewt

A girl doesn't need anyone who doesn't need her
Jun 5, 2019
Why do you care?
Not a day goes by i don't ask myself the same question.

But I do, so here I am.

Please seek whatever help suits. I've found mine here, you seem to be searching for something else, be free and fly :kiss:

Reactions: marcusuk63 and SinisterKid
G

Grief

May 25, 2019
If you had a depressed child would you prefer them hanging out here or somewhere else?

I would not want my depressed child hanging out on "sanctionedsuicide", even if they were over 18. Young minds can easily become overwhelmed with despair and devastated by situations/events and assess that the only way to resolve the pain/desperation is to ctb without talking to anyone about their feelings. I think people need an outlet for their feelings, including suicidal ideation, without fear of being judged for them or getting committed to the psych ward. At times, it is obvious to me that some of the posters are asking for help to prevent them from taking the next step to end their life. Thankfully, responders generally will question the posters desire to ctb and suggest ways to cope, but not all posters bother to mention their trepidations about dying and obviously SS is not meant to be a holistic approach toward warding off the action of suicide. My concern is for the impetuous ones, who give their intended time and method of ctb; have little understanding of the real aftermath it causes, wish they had never been born and feel their family is better off without them; and then don't tell a soul what they are thinking so everyone around them thinks they are doing OK and there isn't anything imminent to worry about. I worry that help and being able to live a life worth living is a phone call away that they never make once they've committed to ctb to the SS community.

Ironically, since I lost a child whose depression was brief, not a day goes by that I don't spend most of it making plans to escape my own pain.

Last edited:
dandan

dandan

Feb 18, 2019
I would not want my depressed child hanging out on "sanctionedsuicide", even if they were over 18.

Come one... this website is not for a depressed child .... is not for depressed people..... its for the suicidal ones... big difference.....

for people who've have had enough!!
for excruciating pain, for deep troubles....

depressed wife? take her to the Bingo or some place else....
depressed child? buy him a playstation, talk to him...
---------------------------

Last edited:
Reactions: LifeIsACurse, littlelady774, Shamana and 1 other person
G

Grief

May 25, 2019
Come one... this website is not for a depressed child .... is not for depressed people..... its for the suicidal ones... big difference.....

for people who've have had enough!!
for excruciating pain, for deep troubles....

depressed wife? take her to the Bingo or some place else....
depressed child? buy him a playstation, talk to him...
---------------------------
Do you not think that the 18+ year olds are someone's child, were beloved by someone? Do you not think that most members on SS are depressed?

Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018

I'd recommend you watch this, it raises some good questions and possible answers.

G

Grief

May 25, 2019
The OP asked if it was possible to overcome a mental illness, so I would say that at least in an abstract way this thread is about healing or the possibility of it. I do think it is possible to at least manage a mental illness and it's good to ask for help in doing so. I beg to differ that talking about one's child is crass or irrelevant.

SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Visionary
Jun 1, 2019
Sorry, post deleted by me as inappropriate because it was written in anger. I need to avoid this thread.

GeorgeJL

GeorgeJL

Enlightened
Mar 7, 2019
I would have taken my life a long time ago if it wasn't for my medication.

Reactions: Rukia, salibu and Grief
dandan

dandan

Feb 18, 2019
Do you not think that the 18+ year olds are someone's child, were beloved by someone? Do you not think that most members on SS are depressed?

Yes most members are suicidally depressed, not like many 18 yo depression which doesn't justify suicide at all... But then again "justify" suicide? I don't want you twisting my words...

Lol, I'm going to excuse myself of a pointless discussion ...

not_a_robot

not_a_robot

"i hope the leaving is joyful, & never to return"
May 30, 2019
I think the path may be to "accept the darkness" and not fight against it, I think those who seek "happiness" simply end up finding a difficult game ... I think we should move on even on the darkest nights

I think what I said may be a cliche and I do not know if there is a theory about it, but it's how I face life
There are many theories about it, here's an intro...

• Love
Reactions: The Hunter
Crystal Labeija

Crystal Labeija

Experienced
Jun 3, 2019
I think you can learn to manage your mental illness, but not overcome it. We're not there yet with our knowledge of mental health. Up until the 1970s, the mental health profession was a tool for the government to brainwash people and torture gay men. It was only in the second half of the 20th century that the mental health industry to began to truly address mental health issues like depression and anxiety. Our knowledge is lacking.

BridgeJumper

BridgeJumper

The Arsonist
Apr 7, 2019
I agree, you cant overcome a mental illness as in completely remove its influence from your life, but you can manage it through therapy, medication and developing coping skills. But while I do believe some people get better with antidepresants and counselling, Ive long ago lost hope in the system after how Ive been treated and Im certain nothing will help me anymore - Id either kill myself or stay fucked up for life.

dandan

dandan

Feb 18, 2019
I believe an attempt to cope and live in spite of it it's worth it, completely overcome it, no. If the struggle is so painful , ctb is last option but still an option.

Boonks

Boonks

Lowlife
Mar 2, 2019
I would have taken my life a long time ago if it wasn't for my medication.
For me, it's the exact opposite! I was never suicidal until I took antidepressants.

Reactions: littlelady774
cornflowerblue

cornflowerblue

Mage
Feb 18, 2019

Schizophrenia, no. Depression, more statistically likely that you'll overcome it than the likelihood it'll be chronic. Depression isn't chronic and untreatable for most people.
Yes. But this is not the place where I would look for answers. A major depressive episode can naturally remit by itself without intervention.

Also approaching it with a common sense approach such as regular light.moderate excercise and a clean diet can help. And if possible uplifting company and find ways to be positive. Browsing on a forum for people who are suicidal is on the worst things you can do if you want to get out of it.
I completely agree. Most depression will go away with no intervention at all other than time, then a large percentage will go away with the methods you listed. All of us here who say depression never improves are people who are in that tiny 10% that has chronic intractable depression. That kind of depression exists of course, but it's not the majority. I think it's analogous to flu. Most people get the flu at some point and most recover without even seeing a doctor. Some get complications and need extra help. Only a tiny percentage dies from flu.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shamana
Divine Trinity

Divine Trinity

Pugna Vigil
Mar 20, 2019

No.

S

Shamana

Warlock
May 31, 2019
Schizophrenia, no. Depression, more statistically likely that you'll overcome it than the likelihood it'll be chronic. Depression isn't chronic and untreatable for most people.

I completely agree. Most depression will go away with no intervention at all other than time, then a large percentage will go away with the methods you listed. All of us here who say depression never improves are people who are in that tiny 10% that has chronic intractable depression. That kind of depression exists of course, but it's not the majority. I think it's analogous to flu. Most people get the flu at some point and most recover without even seeing a doctor. Some get complications and need extra help. Only a tiny percentage dies from flu.

Actually Schizoprehnia remits naturally in countries where they don't use medications. In general poor countries have better outcomes than wealthy countries because they cannot afford anti-psychotis.

cornflowerblue

cornflowerblue

Mage
Feb 18, 2019
Actually Schizoprehnia remits naturally in countries where they don't use medications. In general poor countries have better outcomes than wealthy countries because they cannot afford anti-psychotis.

I wouldn't say it remits, but people live with it peacefully. They still hear voices etc but the voices are happy and helpful. And the delusions aren't harmful or scary like "I can't eat because people want to poison me", they're things like "the trees watch over humanity to keep harmony". So you'd still have some symptoms or differences from others, but it wouldn't be a problem. With depression, some people do learn to live with its peacefully but for most it actually goes away entirely.

I can't watch videos because of my attention span, is there a transcript for that?

Last edited:
Divine Trinity

Divine Trinity

Pugna Vigil
Mar 20, 2019
Depression, specifically chronic depression (I call institutional or environmental depression. Poverty, discrimination, persecution, child abuse, domestic violence, sexual assault, ptsd, etc.) will not disappear from your life, it is physiologically ingrained into your neural network and likely DNA, especially for young children. No amount of positive psychology and wishful thinking will change that, it's akin to praying for a man with stage 4 lung cancer, but at least with prayer your not denying he is in pain.

People distract themselves with self-destructive activities, religion/philosophy, mind-numbing work, or vent their despair to those around them, but they'll never "recover". Depression is apart of who you are, you can't be "cured" of yourself, nor should anyone want to, to do so is a sign of pathology. This pathology (suicide) rots us away from the inside out and robs us of many opportunities, it affects the individual which in turn extends to society at large, social pathology.

The world today is pathological and I believe it's terminal, even if by some miracle we don't destroy ourselves someone else will, and if not that then there's climate change and the decades of planetary devastation humans have unleashed on the environment coming back to haunt us.

Perhaps for a select few many years ago, life was worth living, today not so much, tomorrow we won't be there to ask the question.

Reactions: TheDevilsAngel
cornflowerblue

cornflowerblue

Mage
Feb 18, 2019
Depression, specifically chronic depression (I call institutional or environmental depression. Poverty, discrimination, persecution, child abuse, domestic violence, sexual assault, ptsd, etc.) will not disappear from your life, it is physiologically ingrained into your neural network and likely DNA, especially for young children. No amount of positive psychology and wishful thinking will change that, it's akin to praying for a man with stage 4 lung cancer, but at least with prayer your not denying he is in pain.

People distract themselves with self-destructive activities, religion/philosophy, mind-numbing work, or vent their despair to those around them, but they'll never "recover". Depression is apart of who you are, you can't be "cured" of yourself, nor should anyone want to, to do so is a sign of pathology. This pathology (suicide) rots us away from the inside out and robs us of many opportunities, it affects the individual which in turn extends to society at large, social pathology.

The world today is pathological and I believe it's terminal, even if by some miracle we don't destroy ourselves someone else will, and if not that then there's climate change and the decades of planetary devastation humans have unleashed on the environment coming back to haunt us.

Perhaps for a select few many years ago, life was worth living, today not so much, tomorrow we won't be there to ask the question.
Most depression isn't chronic and many people are only temporarily in bad situations.

Divine Trinity

Divine Trinity

Pugna Vigil
Mar 20, 2019
Most depression isn't chronic and many people are only temporarily in bad situations.
Life is "temporary".

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/young-viewers-life-gets-better.17953/

Last edited:
S

Shamana

Warlock
May 31, 2019
I wouldn't say it remits, but people live with it peacefully. They still hear voices etc but the voices are happy and helpful. And the delusions aren't harmful or scary like "I can't eat because people want to poison me", they're things like "the trees watch over humanity to keep harmony". So you'd still have some symptoms or differences from others, but it wouldn't be a problem. With depression, some people do learn to live with its peacefully but for most it actually goes away entirely.

I can't watch videos because of my attention span, is there a transcript for that?

Sorry don't have a transripbt. His book probably covers it.

Pistolero114

Pistolero114

Veteran
Jun 25, 2019

....."to be or not to be"....... the eternal question formed into language and coherent thought....Prince Hamlet in the nunnery scene of Hamlet questioning if existence in this mortal form is indeed worth the pain and effort require to stay in the mortal realm....
Why do you care?
Actually I find insanity to be relative. You get it from your family.... truth.