N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I just read the The sun article about this forum. (the US version)

"The website is preying on vulnerable people. These people are told all the time by other members that are not there to take their own lives, they are pressured. If he came to me I would've reported the site."

Furthermore they say that this website is sadistic when doing that.

That is why I wanted to clarify something:

It is no shame to return after you have written your goodbye thread in this forum. There is absolutely no shame to rethink your decision after that. We welcome you back in this forum anytime if you don't want to go through with it. Contemplating suicide is often an ambivalent action. If you are not sure about it it might be better to rethink it. I want to emphasize that you absolutely don't need to feel pressured when writting a goodbye letter. Even if this would happen more than once I would not judge you. There is this myth people who talk about suicide wouldn't act on it. This is often not true.

We welcome you back with open arms if you decide to live on. This place is a community not only for people who are "there to take their own life". You can be chronically suicidal and never go through with it. SS is also a place for members like this. We share the feeling how it feels to be severely suicidal. This is kind of unique and many people who are/were not suicidal cannot comprehend how this feels like.

I often ignore goodbye threads. For me they are too sad. But I have read there posts like if you change your mind you can always return. I wanted to keep hold of that in this thread. I think this is something very important.

Though I am not sure if they really mean goodbye threads with the pressuring problem. I just have read this argument once about goodbye threads that it can be pressuring for someone when writing one.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: pretzelsandballoons, OldDrummer, Inez and 15 others
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Great post Again. Yes don't feel pressured from anything, sometimes I read, tomorrow is my day, or I changed my mind it's gonna be next week. It's ok whatever path you want to choose, and it's ok to come back if you still with us. I do often read goodbye threads, I always ask the members that it's ok to re think their plans, to think clearly and wish them peace whatever the outcome of their thoughts are. So if you are still here and reading this come back, who are us to judge anyone?

• Love
Reactions: ColorlessTrees, Leiden, edu0z and 1 other person
edu0z

edu0z

carried away by a moonlight shadow
Aug 25, 2021
I just read the The sun article about this forum. (the US version)

"The website is preying on vulnerable people. These people are told all the time by other members that are not there to take their own lives, they are pressured. If he came to me I would've reported the site."

Furthermore they say that this website is sadistic when doing that.

That is why I wanted to clarify something:

It is no shame to return after you have written your goodbye thread in this forum. There is absolutely no shame to rethink your decision after that. We welcome you back in this forum anytime if you don't want to go through with it. Contemplating suicide is often an ambivalent action. If you are not sure about it it might be better to rethink it. I want to emphasize that you absolutely don't need to feel pressured when writting a goodbye letter. Even if this would happen more than once I would not judge you. There is this myth people who talk about suicide wouldn't act on it. This is often not true.

We welcome you back with open arms if you decide to live on. This place is a community not only for people who are "there to take their own life". You can be chronically suicidal and never go through with it. SS is also a place for members like this. We share the feeling how it feels to be severely suicidal. This is kind of unique and many people who are/were not suicidal cannot comprehend how this feels like.

I often ignore goodbye threads. For me they are too sad. But I have read there posts like if you change your mind you can always return. I wanted to keep hold of that in this thread. I think this is something very important.

Though I am not sure if they really mean goodbye threads with the pressuring problem. I just have read this argument once about goodbye threads that it can be pressuring for someone when writing one.
It's true what you say. I wrote a farewell post a few months ago and tried to do CTB but failed... and then I felt pressured to come back and I didn't know what to do, whether to make another post saying that I had failed or not to say anything because it gave me a lot of shame. However, it is not a pressure exerted by forum members or someone about you, it is more like something you do to yourself I think. In my case, more than anything I was embarrassed that people saw that I am still alive and thought that I am a liar or something like that.

Most members of this forum are very friendly people who respect the decisions of others because they are able to understand what they are going through. And that is why I find it very unfair that they say that it is a sadistic place with those who have the desire to commit suicide.

UpandDownPrincess

UpandDownPrincess

Elementalist
Dec 31, 2019
People will find whatever they like wherever they look for it.

She is determined to find evil here, so she will.

So many of us find support and comfort here.

I think this forum does a pretty good job of rooting out the assholes and anyone whose behavior is crossing the line.

I really do feel for her, but her son was 28 years old. And the phrase "chemical toxicity" refers to any substance, regardless of its origin. His plan was not impulsive, it required lots of planning, and she herself acknowledges that he had been coming here for some time. Even if he found the name of his substance here, his path was not decided for him.

I've been happy to be a part of many threads started by folks who have have a change in their plans, regardless of reason. Some folks head to recovery and never look back, others adjust their timeline and yet others simply disappear.

It's okay to live. Really.

Reactions: DontplayGod and Ringo
I

Inez

Dec 21, 2021
I think it needs to be mentioned too, that it's also OK to want to die, but not want to do it for so many reasons. I know things had to change here because of the publicity, but it was how I heard about this site, so I'm grateful for that. I have found a little peace knowing that I'm not alone, that there are lots of us who have a deep pain in whatever form it is, and we don't want to feel it anymore and suicide seems like an easy way out, but it isn't, it probably should be thoughtful and hopefully a peaceful ending because it is final. And reading the many different voices here helps me a lot.