S

starlessnight

Oct 1, 2023
took a gap year and still wondering whether i should go to uni or not. might do an apprenticeship instead?

growing up i always loved school. but the last years of high school drained me a lot. i still loved school but i just couldn't do it anymore because of everything going on. so maybe i'm scared that uni will be the same and that's why i don't really fancy going? or maybe it is actually best if i don't go? saves money and time i guess. i don't know. fomo really hitting hard as well.

also a degree would probs help a lot. but is it really worth it?

• Hugs
Reactions: WhatPowerIs
Spiritual survivor

Spiritual survivor

A born again but occasionally suicidal
Feb 13, 2022

I wouldn't. A video on current state of things. A university degree won't pay off anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: edu0z and starlessnight
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
took a gap year and still wondering whether i should go to uni or not. might do an apprenticeship instead?

growing up i always loved school. but the last years of high school drained me a lot. i still loved school but i just couldn't do it anymore because of everything going on. so maybe i'm scared that uni will be the same and that's why i don't really fancy going? or maybe it is actually best if i don't go? saves money and time i guess. i don't know. fomo really hitting hard as well.

also a degree would probs help a lot. but is it really worth it?
If your looking for a cut and dry answer, you likely will not get it, some people like college, others feel like it's a waste but I'll share my experience.

Like you, I took a gap year. Senior-itis took hold and I didn't wanna go to college for a year (decided to go in a little under a year, starting in the summer, this fall would've been a year). Now I'm almost a sophomore majoring in computer science.

I'd definitely say it's probably not a great choice to go simply because of FOMO but I went to better myself and hopefully land a decent job. Statistically speaking, people who hold a bachelors degree earn thousands more per year and can wind up earning hundreds of thousands more throughout there lifetime.

My advice is that if you go, either go for something you really enjoy, or something that makes decent money. I personally have kind of struck a balance because I like coding and software engineers earn really good money. I'd stay away from degrees like history, English, art, etc. as these are very non-lucrative degrees that don't offer many jobs besides teaching. If you wanna teach those subjects, that's when I'd advise those majors.

I can't say if it would be worth it to you personally, but what I can say is statistically speaking, you'll probably be better off. There are outliers in everything so I'd say write a list of pros and cons, and if you feel like it's worth it, take the plunge.

If you're in the United States, the FAFSA opens on December 1st and you can fill that out and possibly obtain some federal aid in paying for college. I'm in community college paying nothing in tuition and actually getting paid to go to college due to grant money. I plan on transferring to university where I will likely have to pay some tuition out of pocket (avoiding loans)

Reactions: WhatPowerIs, Praestat_Mori and starlessnight
UnwillingSavior

UnwillingSavior

Mr. Self Destruct
Nov 2, 2023
I ask myself that a lot. I came straight from highschool to college and I sort of regret it. Of course I still have my breaks (winter/summer) to do stuff but it always feels like I need to stay busy. I don't ever feel like I deserve to rest, since I'm not working a job. This semester I let myself go a bit to see what its like to take it easy. But as I look at my grades, instead of mostly A's and some B's, its half B's and C's; it hurts to see and I feel like I wasted my time trying to be relaxed. Now I just wanna give up and ctb.

Make sure you're ready for a commitment. You'll sacrifice a lot of time. But I wouldn't say its for nothing, albeit it might not result in the outcome you look for.

Reactions: WhatPowerIs and Praestat_Mori
L

LibertyLily

Jul 30, 2022
I don't regret going to university and getting a degree but I would have not done it if I had the knowledge I have now.

The teachers always striked and some had no shame in admitting that their whole previous class failed. The teaching was always poor, but worst towards the last year when they know you're not going to drop out by then and I could go on.

If you want to go to uni do not go because you think there'll be something good at the end of it and do your research. Don't trust what you see on first glance.

If people want to hire you for a particular skillset that few have, having a degree isn't going to make any difference. The person with the degree and no experience isn't going to get the job over someone with experience but without a degree.

An apprenticeship on the other hand might mean you are potentially getting experience in the field but as with all things, if it's too good to be true then it probably is.

The best way to get experience is to just do it because you like doing it and then maybe you might get noticed to make a living out of it.

However, even then there's no guarantee you'll be paid well or not exploited.

If you're going to do anything, don't do it because you think it'll put you in a better position - that's how capitalism fools society.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhatPowerIs, Praestat_Mori and edu0z
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I ask myself that a lot. I came straight from highschool to college and I sort of regret it. Of course I still have my breaks (winter/summer) to do stuff but it always feels like I need to stay busy. I don't ever feel like I deserve to rest, since I'm not working a job. This semester I let myself go a bit to see what its like to take it easy. But as I look at my grades, instead of mostly A's and some B's, its half B's and C's; it hurts to see and I feel like I wasted my time trying to be relaxed. Now I just wanna give up and ctb.

Make sure you're ready for a commitment. You'll sacrifice a lot of time. But I wouldn't say its for nothing, albeit it might not result in the outcome you look for.
Hey, just wanted to say don't be so hard on yourself. I felt this because my grades have slipped a little this semester to likely B's and C's as well (unsure as I don't have final grades yet). I always try to remind myself, though, that as long as I'm not failing, I'm not doing awfully. The only thing it truly affects is your GPA and that honestly only matters at entry level. Once you have experience, GPA isn't really relevant anymore.

I must agree with your second paragraph as well. It is indeed a large commitment, and not for nothing (99% of the time. It can be if you are the type to party all of college and fail every class)

UnwillingSavior

UnwillingSavior

Mr. Self Destruct
Nov 2, 2023
Hey, just wanted to say don't be so hard on yourself. I felt this because my grades have slipped a little this semester to likely B's and C's as well (unsure as I don't have final grades yet). I always try to remind myself, though, that as long as I'm not failing, I'm not doing awfully. The only thing it truly affects is your GPA and that honestly only matters at entry level. Once you have experience, GPA isn't really relevant anymore.
Thanks for saying this, it helps to hear. I also hear that statement a lot (on reddit forums) and I plan to do internships next year and all that good stuff. It's mainly drilled into my head from my dad; I am more than capable of getting straight A's, as I did freshman year. But god the hustle just does not feel worth it, especially when I remember the "experience over GPA" thing. Idk, I go in a loop with that thought in my head repeatedly. It makes me procrastinate. Even now I shouldn't be here, finals are approaching and I have HW and I have a project to work on. The urge to ctb is strong, but I'll try to use your mindset a bit; at least I'm not failing and I know I can still do what I can.

cryone

cryone

Experienced
Nov 23, 2023
I think it is worth it, but it has a lot of stress and hella student debt that comes with it. In the US, 40+ million people have student loan debt. it's a heavy investment, but in the end, you'll likely get a better job that pays more. personally, I'm pursuing one.

Reactions: Aim
Kundalini Guy

Kundalini Guy

FULLY RECOVERED
Mar 27, 2023
You're better off learning coding and getting a high paying job in a few years, I will do the same

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
MidnightDream

MidnightDream

Warlock
Sep 5, 2022
It really entirely depends on the industry and what your goals are.
Uni is worth it if you want to study something that requires a university degree such as teaching, nursing, medicine, etc. Or if you're wanting to go onto higher education afterwards.
Otherwise, I would go apprenticeship or industry experience 1000% of the time - It's just worth so much more in the long run.

Me personally, I have a first class degree and I've found it pretty worthless tbh, but I picked a very niche subject and live in a city with poor employment rates for that industry.. So I kinda shot myself in the foot. I'm now planning on doing a masters just to try and broaden my horizons and make up for the time I wasted studying when I could have been working. In comparison, my partner did an apprenticeship and a year later walked into a graduate job earning more money than I likely ever will.
That said, I loved my uni experience and am glad I did it.. but it is the most expensive bit of paper I'll ever own.

So it really just depends on your industry and goals

Spike Spiegel

Spike Spiegel

Sep 26, 2022
There is no clear right or wrong answer here. Like many of the people in this thread, I went to college right after high school. I got my two degrees and realized I was not going to be happy. So I'm back in school working on something else. That may sound like going right to college was a bad idea. However its the experiences I had at college that lead me to a job field that I really am passionate and excited about.

Again your own goals play a large factor. In a way one of the blessings of the pandemic is so many universities offer online, or semi remote course's. If you are unsure about the workload you could try taking couple classes online locally. If you are worried about the "college experience" I'm afraid that is just something you have to experience and deicide if it is for you.

I very much had the stereotypical college experience, IE go away to school join a fraternity, several clubs, party all that. But I also had some friends who never went out but had a blast with the people they had met who otherwise they never would have. That is I'd say the one consistent beauty of going away to a big school, you can always find someone similar to you if you look hard enough.

Then ofc there is the money factor, while most schools try and help out in some ways it is such a monetary drain in every aspect.

Best of luck ;)

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Thanks for saying this, it helps to hear. I also hear that statement a lot (on reddit forums) and I plan to do internships next year and all that good stuff. It's mainly drilled into my head from my dad; I am more than capable of getting straight A's, as I did freshman year. But god the hustle just does not feel worth it, especially when I remember the "experience over GPA" thing. Idk, I go in a loop with that thought in my head repeatedly. It makes me procrastinate. Even now I shouldn't be here, finals are approaching and I have HW and I have a project to work on. The urge to ctb is strong, but I'll try to use your mindset a bit; at least I'm not failing and I know I can still do what I can.
I'm glad I'm able to help. I actually finished up all of my college classes today and did two finals (essentially finals but they're just a last test for the class, I don't think they're weighted as typical finals). I DEFINITELY understand the hustle being tiring. Personally, my goal is to graduate with a GPA greater than or equal to 3.0. No clue what my final grades are but I believe I should have A's and B's, I might have a C in calculus, not quite sure.

I gotta ask, how many classes are you taking and would you be open to taking less? I take 5 and that is too much for some people and some people, myself included, can make it work. If it feels like you're taking too many classes, maybe you can take one or two less classes to lighten your workload. Of course, this may delay graduation so it's definitely something to weigh the pros and cons of.
You're better off learning coding and getting a high paying job in a few years, I will do the same
I do have to say, this could work but the market for software engineers and developers is very tough currently. A person with a computer science degree and no experience is more likely to get a job than someone self taught with no experience. BUT if you can somehow land that first job, it won't matter as much if layoffs don't occur where you work.

And I don't say this to crush hopes or anything but the self-taught thing went downhill after COVID-19. Self-taught junior devs of low quality are currently flooding the entry level market. Additionally, sorting them takes money. Basically, this is why it is considered safe to hire someone with a CS or similar degree. Hiring has also slowed post-COVID. But honestly, I say shoot for the stars and try it, you got nothing to lose!

Last edited:
WhatPowerIs

WhatPowerIs

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
My advice is that if you go, either go for something you really enjoy, or something that makes decent money. I personally have kind of struck a balance because I like coding and software engineers earn really good money. I'd stay away from degrees like history, English, art, etc. as these are very non-lucrative degrees that don't offer many jobs besides teaching. If you wanna teach those subjects, that's when I'd advise those majors.
Are those types of degrees really useless? I am in computer science right now but looking to switch to something else because I do not like coding and the mathematics courses required for my program are absolutely killing me and I've had to drop them 4 times total now. I was considering English with a minor in something technical like cybersecurity but, if it's really that useless then I don't know. I don't think I am cut out to be a teacher nor do I have an interest in it.
It seems like the world doesn't really have much to offer to those who are liberal arts minded. Cutthroat world we live in, it feels like...

• Love
Reactions: daocreator
Tefnu

Tefnu

Optimistic believer in recovery
Feb 20, 2023
I personally love University. Sometimes we have limits to how much we can take on at once, and when you're burnt out like you were at the end of high school it makes it difficult to remember that love for learning. But honestly? I've never been happier to be in school. I love what I learn, I love how passionate and knowledgeable the teachers are, and I think living on my own has been a great and not-so-scary introduction to adult life. It might work for you to take two years on one year off to keep from getting burnt out.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Are those types of degrees really useless? I am in computer science right now but looking to switch to something else because I do not like coding and the mathematics courses required for my program are absolutely killing me and I've had to drop them 4 times total now. I was considering English with a minor in something technical like cybersecurity but, if it's really that useless then I don't know. I don't think I am cut out to be a teacher nor do I have an interest in it.
It seems like the world doesn't really have much to offer to those who are liberal arts minded. Cutthroat world we live in, it feels like...
I don't think they're useless, but I think the job market is smaller is more so what I mean. If you don't like coding, I highly suggest you switch your major. I don't really know what jobs you could get with an English major though, besides teacher. I suppose you could get into the journalism or publishing industry though. It's unfortunate but yeah, liberal arts majors just don't see as many jobs as STEM majors.

I think my wording was wrong because they aren't useless, just less practical than STEM, in my mind. I think a technical minor in a liberal arts major could be useful as well. It could help for sure. The world sure is cutthroat. I'm not SUPER interested in coding like some CS majors. I don't live, sleep, and breath code. Buuuut, I could see myself doing it for years which is essentially what a career is.

Reactions: WhatPowerIs
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I personally love University. Sometimes we have limits to how much we can take on at once, and when you're burnt out like you were at the end of high school it makes it difficult to remember that love for learning. But honestly? I've never been happier to be in school. I love what I learn, I love how passionate and knowledgeable the teachers are, and I think living on my own has been a great and not-so-scary introduction to adult life. It might work for you to take two years on one year off to keep from getting burnt out.
I agree with this. I took a year off, not due to burnout but due to uncertainty. I may be graduating late but best decision I made in my opinion. It allows me to consolidate my decision.

penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me đź’™
Nov 1, 2023
Only if you like what you study or can tolerate studying something you hate and graduating. You can still benefit from a humanities degree if you can graduate early and reduce loans tbh, it depends how good of a student you are. (Respectfully, humanities is much easier and you can definitely finish your degree faster than a stem student can.)

Many stem degrees are not worth it without grad school, but if you are willing to do grad school then they can pay off well (think: doctors).

And then there's engineering and CS which are worth it, but won't be as good forever because of the weird bottleneck.