MeltingHeart

MeltingHeart

Visionary
Sep 9, 2019

Its certaintly a striking photo, and not what you would expect a post jump death to look like (seen a few by mistake too). I wouldnt mind leaving a photo of myself like this behind- she does look so stangely peaceful-on top of a limo too! you couldnt make it up. She stated that she didnt want anyone to see her body- so it seems silly in that case to jump off the empire state building-but anyway...Is this image beautiful? can death- even documenting it in art be considered a thing of beauty- I guess it depends on yr view of aethetics and why or how we can define something as such- does it have to be pleasing to look at or just awe inspiring or can it just have some emotional resonance with the viewer that evokes or reflects the nature of the human experience- even if that sometimes may include tragedy and sadness, as I feel is the case with this picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: a_strange_day and metalchic_74
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
It's certainly a striking image, but I wouldn't call it a beautiful death unless it saved others from worse fates, freed some captives, rescued some shelter animals or something like that.

Reactions: Cookiedough8956
MeltingHeart

MeltingHeart

Visionary
Sep 9, 2019
It's certainly a striking image, but I wouldn't call it a beautiful death unless it saved others from worse fates, freed some captives, rescued some shelter animals or something like that.
not sure how it would do that but yeah that would be good! I just feel like as a photo its techinically good - framing, depth of field etc, but also I am magnetised to it- not sure if it is just my current state of mind or just in the sense that many of us do have a morbid fascination with death that is why its so hard to not half look out the window when there has been a car crash or something...not sayin everyone does but many people do almost without thinking! Maybe I just used to read to much J.G.Ballard.

Reactions: Soul and Cookiedough8956
WhiteDespair

WhiteDespair

The Temporary Problem is Life
Oct 24, 2019
The amount of things that had to go right for that photo to even exist is astounding.

Reactions: a_strange_day, Soul, Élégie and 1 other person
Im2high4this

Im2high4this

I’m done here. Zero connections. Won’t miss it.
Jun 13, 2019
> dying wish; dont want anybody to see dead body

> becomes most infamous picture of a suicide body

Although to be fair, she probably shouldn't of chose the Empire State Building if she didn't want anybody to see

Reactions: Élégie and MeltingHeart
Rachel74

Rachel74

Enlightened
Sep 7, 2019
Death shouldn't be beautiful but this somehow is.

• Love
Reactions: a_strange_day, Élégie, OreoWellington and 1 other person
MeltingHeart

MeltingHeart

Visionary
Sep 9, 2019
> dying wish; dont want anybody to see dead body

> becomes most infamous picture of a suicide body

Although to be fair, she probably shouldn't of chose the Empire State Building if she didn't want anybody to see
I know its sad irony isnt it...but yeah not the best choice of location!

A

a_strange_day

Arcanist
Jul 16, 2019
This photo is just...The first time I saw it 10 years ago I honestly thought it was a fake, like magnificiently arranged. I can't help but think it's extremely beautiful, almost supernatural.

Reactions: MeltingHeart and Rachel74