_Minsk

_Minsk

death: the cure for life
Dec 9, 2019
i use it quite often, but in a positive way. i just saw a post on quora saying its understood by many as sarcastic or even mean, is this true?

• Hugs
  • Wow
Reactions: XYZ, TooConscious, puppy9 and 3 others
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
It can be interpreted negatively or sarcastically in certain contexts yes.
In spoken language it is often used sarcastically, so in text it will often be interpreted that way too

Reactions: XYZ, Deleted member 4993, Stick and 2 others
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
It can depend on how you say it - the tone of your voice.

Reactions: Skathon, Kassender, Mm80 and 5 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Any niceties or word of thanks can be interpreted sarcastically over the internet. That's why I try to infuse as any emojis into my posts as I can to get my true point across. Sadly, even THOSE can be interpreted sarcastically which is probably why we don't have a laughing reaction here...

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, purplesmoothie, _Minsk and 1 other person
G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
i use it quite often, but in a positive way. i just saw a post on quora saying its understood by many as sarcastic or even mean, is this true?
It can easily be meant sarcastically or ironically simply by how/when you say it (the tone , inflection ,context ,or whatever). But only if you want it to.
Its just as easy to say it with simple sincerity in a positive way.

Reactions: Skathon, XYZ, Deleted member 4993 and 1 other person
ocd is bad

ocd is bad

-
Jun 26, 2020
It's hard to tell someones tone over the internet so I sometimes would interpret it as being sarcastic. I would try to say "thank you very much" or some other alternative.

• Hugs
Reactions: _Minsk and purplesmoothie
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
Definitely depends largely on the context I think. In the UK I think it's used more sarcastically than anything else. When I read it I instantly read it in a bad tone in my head. But as others have said, it's the internet, the home of misinterpretation so I wouldn't worry too much.

• Love
Reactions: XYZ, _Minsk and Deleted member 4993
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
It's odd, but sometimes when I see 'please' after a request between people online, it feels a bit rude to me :notsure: Like if I was to say, for example "Can you read this article for me?" that would sound more polite than "Can you read this article for me please?" It's as if adding the please adds a terse layer of formality. Yes, yes, I know, I'm odd. :blarg:

"Thanks a lot" has been used so much in a sarcastic context, it's almost become rude to use it normally.

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk, XYZ and Deleted member 4993
XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
Irl it's all about intonation and facial expression. Online, it can be interpreted both as a "thank you" and as the opposite.

Would an emoji help perhaps online? For instance:

Thanx a lot:hug:

Does this ^^^ seem genuine?

Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
Irl it's all about intonation and facial expression. Online, it can be interpreted both as a "thank you" and as the opposite.

Would an emoji help perhaps online? For instance:

Thanx a lot:hug:

Does this ^^^ seem genuine?
Thanks a lot for explaining that xyx ❤

• Hugs
Reactions: XYZ