ithappens

ithappens

Live free or die
Aug 9, 2018
I used to try harder to resist suicide because I did see it as selfish and didn't want to hurt those around me. Still had my attempts, but regretted growing "weak" enough to attempt every time I wound up in the hospital for the damage and having to see my family worry. But now I don't really care.

Who in this world isn't selfish? In my 23 years of existence I have met a grand total of 2 people who have gone out of their ways to put themselves aside for others the way I used to. 99.99% of people I meet on a daily basis are selfish beyond belief and will willingly and enthusiastically harm, manipulate, use, and/or abuse other human beings and animals. All it takes is one look at the society we live in (the USA for me) without rose tinted glasses on to see that it is built entirely around selfishness and "fuck you, I got mine". Selfishness is just human nature, and anyone who goes out of their way to resist it and does selfless deeds for others (without bragging about those deeds I might add, many people will film themselves being kind for the likes and attention) is a fool waiting to be used as a disposable tissue by the rest of their own species.

Final thoughts: even if suicide is selfish there's no reason to really care because the people around us are selfish all the time anyways and will gladly do something against your best interests if it means they get something out of it. When in Rome and all that.

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, it's_all_a_game, FTL.Wanderer and 1 other person
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
To me, the most selfish thing you can do is abuse another human being for your own self-gratification to the point their self will dies leaving them a hollow shell.

On some level though I also consider everything as selfish. Stick a burger in your gob and you are selfishly endorsing the horror show of the meat industry and the slurry that winds up contaminating fresh water. Putting petrol in your car because you would rather not walk in the rain. Selfishly supporting corrupt oil barons and foreign wars.

If we stopped doing things because they were selfish and result in harm in some form we wouldn't actually do anything at all. Even owning pencils would be selfish. Don't even get me started on fiat currency or chocolate.

Being driven to suicide is also the equivalent of me setting you on fire beside a swimming pool that people happen to be playing in. The immediacy of seemingly inescapable pain will compel you to jump in that pool regardless of how disruptive it is to those people playing.

For the most part the suicidal consider the feelings of those they will leave behind. For many, they willingly choose to remain on fire solely not to disrupt the people playing in the pool. At great expense to themselves. That demonstrates consideration of an intense nature. Which is the complete opposite of the definition of selfish. The selfish won't even ponder it or register it as a question in the first place.

Even seasoned marines break to pain eventually, with techniques more focused on delaying that inevitability whilst under torture, while they hold out hope for rescue. So what chance do average people have, who are being tortured by their own minds and bodies over a span of a lifetime? Who have exhausted avenues of escape and realised there is no rescue?

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Sprite_Geist, ithappens and 4 others
J

Journeytoletgo

Broken and hated 7-14 years long overdue
May 14, 2018
I don't owe anyone anything if I want to CTB I'll do it. They can live their lives tired of this toxic life

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, Sprite_Geist, FuneralCry and 1 other person
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Suicide is not selfish. We did not ask to exist, so we have no obligations to stay alive. Instead it is selfish expecting people to stay alive against their wishes when they are suffering. Many people who say suicide is selfish, likely haven't been suicidal themselves so they cannot comprehend what it is like.

Reactions: Journeytoletgo
PinkSakura

PinkSakura

Rip Flower I'll never forget you </3 我想你花
Feb 8, 2021
NOT SELFISH, because a person who commits suicide loses everything. I think people who believe it's selfish are fucked up, clearly the person is going through hell and they have nothing left.

I think the selfish ones are the people who call it selfish, because they are only thinking about themselves and not the person who is in pain

• Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, ithappens, Journeytoletgo and 1 other person
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
No. We are told that other human beings have a choice in whether or not they wish to be invested in our lives. Now if this is correct then we should have a choice if we want to be in theirs. Many of us have experienced a considerable amount of time on our own - isolated; we have been left out and ignored. Do we hold those who push us away responsible for our own heartache in response to their behaviour? No. So why do they blame us for their own feelings of remorse, grief and guilt once we end our lives? Either both parties are selfish to an extent, or neither side is.

I have said this a few times, but I believe it is important to repeat it again: if we are owed nothing from other individuals - absolutely nothing at all - then we owe them zero in return. Unless you are a close friend that is still with me then you are in no position to call me, or anyone else, selfish. If you leave behind a suicidal person when they need you the most then do not respond with upset, if they decide to leave you behind in death.

It is selfish to ignore or abandon somebody who is suicidal, and then have to gall to victimize yourself over their deaths, as if you actually cared about them.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, it's_all_a_game and ithappens