locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
Hey all. Long story short, I had some "cuttings" (biopsies) done a couple days ago on my back and I need to change the dressings. The Dermatologist told me to only use petroleum jelly and a dressing on the wounds. The jar I have expired, according to the date on the jar, about 1 year and 2 months ago. When I go online to check about petroleum jelly being good past the expiration date I, sort of, get a mixed bag of results. Some say it's good for 5-10 years after expiration, others say throw it out when the expiration date rolls around. The jar I have is new, never been opened. What you all think?

QueerMelancholy

QueerMelancholy

Mage
Jul 29, 2023
I think the shelf life for petroleum jelly is 3 years. It can be good for 5 to 10 years with proper storage but you should throw it away if it has an abnormal color, odor, or consistency.

Honestly? For how sparingly I use petroleum jelly I have used mine well after the expiration date on the container and have never experienced problems with it. If it hasn't been opened and has been stored properly and passes the sight, smell, and feel test then it should be fine. Petroleum jelly doesn't usually support bacterial growth because it doesn't contain water.

If you don't feel safe using it or it doesn't pass the sight, smell, and feel test then throw it out.

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
.....I have used mine well after the expiration date on the container and have never experienced problems with it.
On potentially partially open wounds?

I know, it's such a little thing, and it hardly costs anything. I just hate throwing out a perfectly good jar if there's nothing wrong with it. I don't even remember why I bought it. I really don't use it. I think I bought it to use on the heels of my feet, but found something better. It's been sitting in my linen cabinet since I bought it. Thanks for the input.

QueerMelancholy

QueerMelancholy

Mage
Jul 29, 2023
On potentially partially open wounds?

I know, it's such a little thing, and it hardly costs anything. I just hate throwing out a perfectly good jar if there's nothing wrong with it. I don't even remember why I bought it. I really don't use it. I think I bought it to use on the heels of my feet, but found something better. It's been sitting in my linen cabinet since I bought it. Thanks for the input.
If your worrying about using an expired product on partially open wounds is going to make you worry more after using it then just throw it out. Or use it for another purpose.

Is not worrying about it worth the cost of purchasing a new unexpired tub of petroleum jelly? If using a new unexpired tub saves you from anxiety then buy a new tub. You can keep the old one that is expired and use it for your feet or to soften your fingernails.

Reactions: locked*n*loaded
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
If your worrying about using an expired product on partially open wounds is going to make you worry more after using it then just throw it out. Or use it for another purpose.

Is not worrying about it worth the cost of purchasing a new unexpired tub of petroleum jelly? If using a new unexpired tub saves you from anxiety then buy a new tub. You can keep the old one that is expired and use it for your feet or to soften your fingernails.
I was supposed to change the dressings today, but i guess it really won't matter much. I'm not going out this late just to buy a new jar. Just thought maybe I'd get by with the old one. I'll buy a new one tomorrow. Really don't want an infection, not part of my plans.

Reactions: QueerMelancholy
J

J&L383

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
I think the shelf life for petroleum jelly is 3 years. It can be good for 5 to 10 years with proper storage but you should throw it away if it has an abnormal color, odor, or consistency.

Honestly? For how sparingly I use petroleum jelly I have used mine well after the expiration date on the container and have never experienced problems with it. If it hasn't been opened and has been stored properly and passes the sight, smell, and feel test then it should be fine. Petroleum jelly doesn't usually support bacterial growth because it doesn't contain water.

If you don't feel safe using it or it doesn't pass the sight, smell, and feel test then throw it out.
Yeah, it's cheap, but I've never problem with old stuff.