Is it irrational to commit suicide due to nationality i.e. countries like China?

• A. No, it's not a good reason for suicide (State why in the Answers if you'd like)

• B. Yes, it's justified, I see how it is (If you are comfortable, state why)

• C. I don't know

• D. when I grow up, I will sacrifice my life for Pakistan!

Results are only viewable after voting.
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
Votes and potential Insights welcome.
Controversial views welcome also.

• Hugs
Reactions: deadgirlahsatan, Circles, Disappointered and 3 others
mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
Votes and potential Insights welcome.
Controversial views welcome also.

I never liked my nationality, and it was one of the reasons (not the main reason) I contemplated suicide in the past.

• Hugs
Reactions: deadgirlahsatan, Silvermorning, Ghost2211 and 4 others
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
I'd be much more understanding if it was some place in the third world or a place like China (mainland) that has a totalitarian system in place. Tragically suicide is illegal in north korea and I couldn't imagine the pressure one would be under to attempt such a thing.

• Hugs
Reactions: deadgirlahsatan, Ghost2211, Fragile and 2 others
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
It is one of my reasons. I am faced with being kicked out back to my country, which I am simply not doing thank you very much.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: flatearth, GoneGoneGone, Ghost2211 and 4 others
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
I think it's fair. Some places are horrible to live, and there's not always a way out. I suppose one could argue that you could accept the circumstances and learn to find meaning in it... Mm. I don't know what else I was going to say. I don't think that argument is applicable to everyone.

• Love
Reactions: WitheringAway, Ghost2211, puppy9 and 2 others
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
I VOTE D!!!!!!!:pfff:

• Love
Reactions: flatearth, sadworld, Ghost2211 and 3 others
All washed up

All washed up

Experienced
Oct 31, 2020
I voted don't know as I'm from a 1st world country
. I've visited loads of 2nd and 3rd world countries though including China.
I can imagine it's mentally very difficult to live in China even more so than countries that are materially poorer

• Love
Reactions: Ghost2211 and KleinerWolf
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
Jesus, anybody who answered no to that better pray they don't learn the correct answer to this the hard way.

Reactions: WitheringAway, Wayfaerer, Ghost2211 and 3 others
G

Gentleman

For ethics, there is only suffering and its cure.
Sep 10, 2020
D has me cracking up

Reactions: Ghost2211, KleinerWolf and Skathon
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
Quality of life is important. We don't choose where we are born. Some places in the world would be way too hard to live in a happy healthy way.

Reactions: WitheringAway, Élégie, Skathon and 3 others
Silvermorning

Silvermorning

The polar bears made me do it
Oct 10, 2020
I have voted D, for the fun!
I think there are more important factors than place of birth.

I think anyone would prefer to be born with a loving, supporting big family in Mali, than being an orphan in Switzerland.

By the same token, better to be happily married (if that thing exists) with a strong network of friends/colleagues in a piss poor but sunny caribbean island than alone in a richer, cold, grey country.

Loneliness is just the worse killer, and in the worst cases , even turns young men into mass killers... thats how deep are the wounds that social isolation creates.

But if factors are the same, being mentally unwell and isolated in a country without good mental health services , it's just hell on earth.

• Love
Reactions: Élégie, flatearth, sadworld and 3 others
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
I have voted D, for the fun!
I think there are more important factors than place of birth.

I think anyone would prefer to be born with a loving, supporting big family in Mali, than being an orphan in Switzerland.

By the same token, better to be happily married (if that thing exists) with a strong network of friends/colleagues in a piss poor but sunny caribbean island than alone in a richer, cold, grey country.

Loneliness is just the worse killer, and in the worst cases , even turns young men into mass killers... thats how deep are the wounds that social isolation creates.

But if factors are the same, being mentally unwell and isolated in a country without good mental health services , it's just hell on earth.

I don't think you understand what the problem with shithole countries are. You cannot marry or have friends in a sick culture. I bet you are firstworlder who only sees the trash from those countries running into yours purely for money and who are still happily sewage themselves. Not the ones who no longer even have a country to run to because it is all flooded by sewage.

Even in the extremely few countries where that particular inpour of sewage is less, you find it is overtaken by b*ddhist gaslighting instead. So yeah, the world is by now hell and there is nowhere left to run.

• Hugs
Reactions: WitheringAway, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, sadworld and 2 others
All washed up

All washed up

Experienced
Oct 31, 2020
I don't think you understand what the problem with shithole countries are. You cannot marry or have friends in a sick culture. I bet you are firstworlder who only sees the trash from those countries running into yours purely for money and who are still happily sewage themselves. Not the ones who no longer even have a country to run to because it is all flooded by sewage.

Even in the extremely few countries where that particular inpour of sewage is less, you find it is overtaken by b*ddhist gaslighting instead. So yeah, the world is by now hell and there is nowhere left to run.
I agree woxihuanni. Many 1st worlders have an extremely simplistic and almost romantic view of poor countries and this is made worse by people taking short holidays in these countries and usually seeing wealthier better looking parts of a country and very rarely having anything approaching a proper conversation with a local.
There's no NHS, welfare check, unemployment benefit etc to fall back on. If you make some money there's jealousy and constant expectation to help others.
We hear so much about skin colour holding people back being life limiting etc, but nationality is arguably a far bigger barrier to having a good life.

• Love
Reactions: WitheringAway, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, KleinerWolf and 1 other person
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
I agree woxihuanni. Many 1st worlders have an extremely simplistic and almost romantic view of poor countries and this is made worse by people taking short holidays in these countries and usually seeing wealthier better looking parts of a country and very rarely having anything approaching a proper conversation with a local.
There's no NHS, welfare check, unemployment benefit etc to fall back on. If you make some money there's jealousy and constant expectation to help others.
We hear so much about skin colour holding people back being life limiting etc, but nationality is arguably a far bigger barrier to having a good life.

It is generally done to score points. Plus, the economy or health services are not even the root problem, just symptoms of it.
They have no idea what religion does to a society because the worst they've seen is a couple of church-goers.

Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and All washed up
Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
It's still better to have friends and be in a community while poor than be an alienated freak who can never know normal social existence in a wealthy country.

KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
It's still better to have friends and be in a community while poor than be an alienated freak who can never know normal social existence in a wealthy country.

If the refugees can do it, anyone can do it.

Must be nice to live in a war zone or censorship countries.
Friends and family definitely help lol.

Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019

What is being said here is that this is not about being poor, it is not fitting in with some sewage comunity.

Reactions: All washed up and KleinerWolf
A

AllReturnsToNothing

I'm useless
Aug 5, 2020
I don't know what being a nationality from a "3rd world" country has to do with anything. I'm an American, which you would think would make me happy because we are a "happy rich 1st world country" according to the stereotype. I've never been happy to be born in the United States. I'm miserable. The way I see it, if you feel you have no other way out, and you are of sound mind, then it's your decision. However if you live in a country with a lot of inequality, then I can totally understand, being trapped in a country rife with inequality myself.

• Hugs
Reactions: KleinerWolf and All washed up
Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
mind define normal social existence?
Kind of yeah. It'll go on forever and doesn't seem to have a purpose. People are depressed for many reasons and money isn't the main one. Your position relative to your peers is important to pretty much all humans. Refugees can do it (I assume that means they can have normal social existence according to what you were thinking normal social existence means when you responded) because they stay in their refugee communities and get a lot of support in wealthy countries as refugees. Their peer group is...refugees.

KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
I don't know what being a nationality from a "3rd world" country has to do with anything. I'm an American, which you would think would make me happy because we are a "happy rich 1st world country" according to the stereotype. I've never been happy to be born in the United States. I'm miserable. The way I see it, if you feel you have no other way out, and you are of sound mind, then it's your decision. However if you live in a country with a lot of inequality, then I can totally understand, being trapped in a country rife with inequality myself.
Its not about inequality.
It's about opportunities and what you can work with.

If environmental factors and their experiences are the same for two person in first and second world countries,
let's just say I'm less likely to kill myself if I'm american.

However it would be hard to put things into perspective since living in the first world means having something to fall back on, despite it not being "ideal".

Reactions: All washed up
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019

Yeah well, I am from a shitty country and prefer to die than move to North America anyway. Because I observe it is just as bad. That doesn't mean there is nowhere better.

• Love
Reactions: WitheringAway, Skathon, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and 1 other person
Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
What is being said here is that this is not about being poor, it is not fitting in with some sewage comunity.
If it is a fact that most people in 3rd world countries find their community and cultural life to be sewage then I guess you're right and it's rational to kill yourself on that basis alone. I'm operating on the assumption that most people in 3rd world countries have some degree of rewarding relationships with some others around them. It's an assumption that I have observed to be true among many immigrants and among some people in a 3rd world country I have been to.

Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
Kind of yeah. It'll go on forever and doesn't seem to have a purpose. People are depressed for many reasons and money isn't the main one. Your position relative to your peers is important to pretty much all humans. Refugees can do it (I assume that means they can have normal social existence according to what you were thinking normal social existence means when you responded) because they stay in their refugee communities and get a lot of support in wealthy countries as refugees. Their peer group is...refugees.

Im not sure what you meant by social existence.
Since when do people have to conform to societies

Especially the first world countries, people are free to live their life as their heart pleases.

Reactions: All washed up
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
If it is a fact that most people in 3rd world countries find their community and cultural life to be sewage then I guess you're right and it's rational to kill yourself on that basis alone. I'm operating on the assumption that most people in 3rd world countries have some degree of rewarding relationships with some others around them. It's an assumption that I have observed to be true among many immigrants and among some people in a 3rd world country I have been to.

Yeah the stance says nothing about numbers. It is the nonconforming minority in those communities that check out. Otherwise it wouldn't be shit if everybody acknowledged it as shit and changed it.

As you notice, the runners away mostly have no problem with their own. And those who do, are almost mever refugees but they choose study or work to get the hell out. The latter's purposr is to get the fuck away from their community, not money. They are already able to make money anyway.

Reactions: Skathon, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and KleinerWolf
Silvermorning

Silvermorning

The polar bears made me do it
Oct 10, 2020
Hold your horses @woxihuanni ,
I actually live, voluntarily, in a third world country and i personally know people that married well , had kids , the whole shebang, and live with less than 250 euros a month. Never in their lifes they would entertain serious suicidal thoughs. I call that happiness.

Not to say poverty it's not soul destroying. It is.

In India its not uncommon for whole families to suicide toguether, because finantial worries, and what about the working poor struggles in good ole USA, or the silent despair of the french working class?

And then , there's worse, semi failed states struggling with water and electricity shortages or civil war conflicts that push millions to flee.

Differents levels in Hell.

The world is just a disgrace, a global slave system, without hardly any upward mobility. You are born a slave and you die one , and in a slave system there are lower and high ones, that lead more comfy lifes. But that's about it.

Is emigrating to a richer country cure one's suicidal thoughts? No, but there are free psychologists , decent psych wards and disabilty pensions. And that's where the good stuff stops , before you are back to the start:
finding a reason to live, whether it's family, close knit friendships, or a meaningful career/hobby,,.

if you have nothing of those, does dying alone, swimming in your own shit, in some first world's elderly home, sounds any appealing ? I think not.

Reactions: Élégie, Skathon, Life_and_Death and 1 other person