D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
As the title says, is anyone else here interested in the Megami Tensei franchise (Shin Megami Tensei, Devil Survivor, Persona, etc.) and would like to discuss it? It's a favorite franchise of mine, so I figured I'd try my luck to see if there are any fans on this forum.

16-SMT013.jpg

• Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: waitingforrest, ColorlessTrees, GentleJerk and 4 others
MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
Very much into Persona. Persona 5 is probably my favorite game on PS4 and I've played all of them except for the 2 duology since then. I've been needing to start my dive into SMT for a long time but haven't gotten around to it yet.

• Yay!
Reactions: DynamicDepression
D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
Very much into Persona. Persona 5 is probably my favorite game on PS4 and I've played all of them except for the 2 duology since then. I've been needing to start my dive into SMT for a long time but haven't gotten around to it yet.
You need to play the Persona 2 duology. The actual gameplay is pretty bad, but storywise it is a masterpiece that blows all the other Persona games out of the water.

Since you have a PS4, I'd highly recommend getting Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. It's very light on the story, but the atmosphere more than makes up for it and the gameplay is great fun.

Reactions: WonderingSoul and MellowAvenue
MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
You need to play the Persona 2 duology. The actual gameplay is pretty bad, but storywise it is a masterpiece that blows all the other Persona games out of the water.
That's what I've heard. Gotta admit it's 1 that is holding me back. 1's story was pretty solid (manga is amazing) but the game felt like such a chore I was just burnt out on it.

Since you have a PS4, I'd highly recommend getting Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. It's very light on the story, but the atmosphere more than makes up for it and the gameplay is great fun.
Yeah, I'm one of those weirdos who will sometimes buy a game then just go months without playing it, so I do own it but still haven't actually sat down to play it. I think I was having trouble downloading it because my internet was acting weird at the time but maybe I'll finally try to play it sometime next month when I might actually have more time.

D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
That's what I've heard. Gotta admit it's 1 that is holding me back. 1's story was pretty solid (manga is amazing) but the game felt like such a chore I was just burnt out on it.
That's fair. If you'd rather not play it yourself, BuffMaister has some great cutscene compilations. Has almost all the dialogue (even the optional NPCs, but that can be skipped if it's not your thing). I dropped Persona 2: Innocent Sin halfway through and watched the compilation instead.

Yeah, I'm one of those weirdos who will sometimes buy a game then just go months without playing it, so I do own it but still haven't actually sat down to play it. I think I was having trouble downloading it because my internet was acting weird at the time but maybe I'll finally try to play it sometime next month when I might actually have more time.
I totally feel you on that. I can preorder a game and when it arrives I don't play it for an entire year. Then I blow through it in a week.

• Love
Reactions: MellowAvenue
MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
That's fair. If you'd rather not play it yourself, BuffMaister has some great cutscene compilations. Has almost all the dialogue (even the optional NPCs, but that can be skipped if it's not your thing). I dropped Persona 2: Innocent Sin halfway through and watched the compilation instead
Thanks for that. I'll probably still give them a shot eventually but if I'm not feeling it I now know where to go. If you don't mind me asking why'd you drop Innocent Sin? I assume gameplay is still fairly grindy?

D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
Thanks for that. I'll probably still give them a shot eventually but if I'm not feeling it I now know where to go. If you don't mind me asking why'd you drop Innocent Sin? I assume gameplay is still fairly grindy?
It's actually the opposite. The game is far too easy. You can beat the final boss with the starter Personas. Eternal Punishment is much better in that regard, fortunately, but the PSP port for it wasn't released in the West so you can only play it on the original PlayStation. Thank God for emulation.

Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
Yup, it's very fought with Kiseki to be my favorite RPG saga. Since I played Devil Survivor 1 after it caught my attention in a magazine I fell in love with the series, later I played everything available on PS2, called Nocturne, DDS and the Raidou Kuzunoha in that order. Then I tried Strange Journey and the translated SNES titles, in other words, SMT I and II.

I've been a fan of the series ever since, I already mentioned my favorites in the JRPGs thread so I'll say... Obviously Raidou and Abel are my favorite protagonists.
The actual gameplay is pretty bad, but storywise it is a masterpiece that blows all the other Persona games out of the water.
really? I never really liked the gameplay in P3 and P4, because they are dumped versions of what you could find in Nocturne or Saturn's Devil Summoner games, that and the dungeons were just tedious, there was a clear narrative approach, but even so, it seemed ugly to me that they neglected the gameplay so much.

I'm not such a fan of P2, I didn't even finish P1, but it seemed like a richer experience in terms of the combat system.

• Love
D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
really? I never really liked the gameplay in P3 and P4, because they are dumped versions of what you could find in Nocturne or Saturn's Devil Summoner games, that and the dungeons were just tedious, there was a clear narrative approach, but even so, it seemed ugly to me that they neglected the gameplay so much.
Me neither, for the reasons you mentioned. I mean, I can enjoy them for what they are, but what they are is inferior versions of other MegaTen game mechanics. Not a big fan of the social sim aspects either.

I'm not such a fan of P2
You disgust me.

Just joking, but the Persona 2 duology is definitely my favorite story in the entire franchise. Mind if I ask what you didn't like about it?

• Yay!
Reactions: Ringo
MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020

Me neither, for the reasons you mentioned. I mean, I can enjoy them for what they are, but what they are is inferior versions of other MegaTen game mechanics. Not a big fan of the social sim aspects either.

Wow, I feel like a pleb now, lol. I'll admit I actually like the social sim aspects since it's usually used well to provide a breather and some levity between the dungeons. Sometimes it can drag a bit too long though, more so in 4 and 5. It probably helps that those were my introduction to the series though so I had nothing to compare the gameplay to really. I've heard the MegaTen games put more focus on the demons themselves, or something along those lines, which sounds interesting.

• Yay!
Reactions: Ringo and DynamicDepression
D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
Wow, I feel like a pleb now, lol. I'll admit I actually like the social sim aspects since it's usually used well to provide a breather and some levity between the dungeons. Sometimes it can drag a bit too long though, more so in 4 and 5. It probably helps that those were my introduction to the series though so I had nothing to compare the gameplay to really. I've heard the MegaTen games put more focus on the demons themselves, or something along those lines, which sounds interesting.
No, there's no reason for that haha. Everyone has different tastes and if you enjoy the social sim mechanics that's great. I definitely agree that they can go on for far too long and the same goes for its dungeons. Modern Persona has a problem balancing the everyday life systems with the dungeon crawling, I think.

And yes, the demons (who lend their designs to the Personas and Shadows in Persona 5's case) are the main stars in mainline SMT. In most of the games, the angels and the demons are fighting for dominance over the human world and you get to choose where you stand in the conflict of order versus chaos (not to be confused with good versus evil). It's a lot of fun.

Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
Just joking, but the Persona 2 duology is definitely my favorite story in the entire franchise. Mind if I ask what you didn't like about it?
Nah, I just don't like the game that much in general, it's not that I have anything against the story in particular. I still prefer Persona 3 Portable by Minako, I liked her social link a lot and they made everything more consistent and believable in the end than with the male protagonist. I also really liked P5, it is the most balanced in my opinion, because now the gameplay is better distributed with the narrative and both influence each other.

By the way when I saw the notification of your message my internet went down XD.
I've heard the MegaTen games put more focus on the demons themselves, or something along those lines, which sounds interesting.
Yes and no. It depends a lot on the game, the Devil Summoners do make a lot of emphasis on them but there is also Digital Devil Saga, where the protagonists transform into demons and you don't recruit or fuse, as our beat bosses or get data, they can get codes that give them new abilities of other demons, even the exclusive ones like Fires of Sinai or Death Flies, spin offs are very different from each other. Of course I'm talking about gameplay, in story they are very relevant because they act as their mythological incarnations... Most of the time, in Digital Devil Saga we simply talk about AIs and Humans who are inserted the information of these beings, very interesting in my opinion.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MellowAvenue and DynamicDepression
D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
Nah, I just don't like the game that much in general, it's not that I have anything against the story in particular. I still prefer Persona 3 Portable by Minako, I liked her social link a lot and they made everything more consistent and believable in the end than with the male protagonist in my opinion. I also really liked P5, it is the most balanced in my opinion, because now the gameplay is better distributed with the narrative and both influence each other.

By the way when I saw the notification of your message my internet went down XD.
That's totally fine, everyone has their own tastes. I, for instance, really dislike Persona 5 for a multitude of reasons. I agree with you about Minako. As much as I like Minato/Makoto, she is the better character and protagonist. You haven't played Persona Q2, have you?

Hate it when that happens.

Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
I, for instance, really dislike Persona 5 for a multitude of reasons
I understand the feeling, although I can say that with the entire Persona saga, the fans are simply istrionic, I remember there was a time when I couldn't use Minako's profile picture in FB groups because fights would break out just because of that. Canon discussions were just sad, no one even bothered to look at the entire franchise and then realize everything was canon 'cuz multiverse, everything was confirmed in PQ, that was dump. All because "my emo head canon is official!"

I bought P5 when it was released, I played it, I got addicted, I enjoyed it and even so it ended up causing me rejection, it's what its fans do or, well, directly the media want to shove it up your ass

Btw, I didn't play Q2, I distanced myself from Persona some time ago because, honestly, the fans had me annoyed, so I decided to wait for things to calm down, but then SMT V comes out and Atlus announce Soul Hackers 2, then they start talking nonsense again . -sigh-

I liked Minako more because I felt she was more effective as an avatar, beyond her gender, she gives you more tools to put together a personality and character that suits the player, just like Abel or Flynn. If I remember correctly she had more dialogue options than Makoto, which makes sense since she came in a re-release, but it still amazes me how many of Makoto's dialogue options are "........", come on man, say something. I also liked more her Social Links, but that is something personal, the Social Link with the little girl was cute.

• Hugs
Reactions: DynamicDepression and MellowAvenue
D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
I understand the feeling, although I can say that with the entire Persona saga, the fans are simply istrionic, I remember there was a time when I couldn't use Minako's profile picture in FB groups because fights would break out just because of that. Canon discussions were just sad, no one even bothered to look at the entire franchise and then realize everything was canon 'cuz multiverse, everything was confirmed in PQ, that was dump. All because "my emo head canon is official!"

I bought P5 when it was released, I played it, I got addicted, I enjoyed it and even so it ended up causing me rejection, it's what its fans do or, well, directly the media want to shove it up your ass

Btw, I didn't play Q2, I distanced myself from Persona some time ago because, honestly, the fans had me annoyed, so I decided to wait for things to calm down, but then SMT V comes out and Atlus announce Soul Hackers 2, then they start talking nonsense again . -sigh-

I liked Minako more because I felt she was more effective as an avatar, beyond her gender, she gives you more tools to put together a personality and character that suits the player, just like Abel or Flynn. If I remember correctly she had more dialogue options than Makoto, which makes sense since she came in a re-release, but it still amazes me how many of Makoto's dialogue options are "........", come on man, say something. I also liked more her Social Links, but that is something personal, the Social Link with the little girl was cute.
Oh yeah, I don't partake in Persona discussions anymore because of the rabid fans. It's a shame people are so close-minded and unwilling to have proper discussions without it turning into personal attacks and namecalling.

I completely understand your decision to distance yourself from it. I can say though that Persona Q2 was alright and Minako played a big role without being too reduced to a one-note character. Not as good as Q1, but still alright. Then again, I may be biased because I'm a huge Etrian Odyssey fan.

What do you think of those two new games, by the way? SMT V and SH2?

I agree with everything you said about Minako. Her OST is awesome too.

Reactions: Ringo
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
Oh yeah, I don't partake in Persona discussions anymore because of the rabid fans. It's a shame people are so close-minded and unwilling to have proper discussions without it turning into personal attacks and namecalling.

I completely understand your decision to distance yourself from it. I can say though that Persona Q2 was alright and Minako played a big role without being too reduced to a one-note character. Not as good as Q1, but still alright. Then again, I may be biased because I'm a huge Etrian Odyssey fan.

What do you think of those two new games, by the way? SMT V and SH2?

I agree with everything you said about Minako. Her OST is awesome too.
It's ironic they behave like the prototype of a nocturne-fanboy they criticize so much.

I don't have much to say, although what you mention caught my attention, my 3DS stopped working, I prefer not to think about it much. PQ I had a lot of fun but I don't remember too much either.

SMT V looks sick, but I don't have Switch :T and Soul Hackers 2... I didn't like the gameplay changes, why make it similar to Persona if you have the solid gameplay of Soul Hackers 1?I'll wait to see what else they reveal, but if Kresnik appears I'll buy it (?)

Something unrelated, it makes me laugh to think that technically, Dante and Sonic are the most powerful beings in the world of MegaTen hahahaha.

WonderingSoul

WonderingSoul

Gamer
Dec 15, 2021
Yes. I started playing it because I got tired of the recent Pokémon games that have been coming out. The first SMT game I've played is was SMT 1 for the snes, and it is still one of my favorite jrpgs because of its story and music. I haven't played SMT 2 yet.

Another one of my favorites is SMT 4, I honestly think it's the best mainline game so far. I don't know about 5 because I haven't finished it yet.

The spinoffs are just as great as the mainline games imo. SMT devil survivor overclocked is so good, but also really difficult too. Devil summoner: soul hackers also has great gameplay, but is mostly aimed at SMT veterans. Then there is the megami spinoff everyone and their grandmother has heard about: Persona. Persona 3 is one of the best games I've ever played. Can be grindy at times, but everything about it is just perfect. Persona 4 is also a must play. I tried playing persona 2, but it's difficult to get past the gameplay and endless enemy encounters, so I just dropped it at the moment.

SMT games I haven't played yet:
-Raiden
-Strange journey
-Persona 5
-SMT 2

SMT games I haven't finished:
-Nocturne
-Devil survivor 2
-Majin Tensei
-SMT 5
-Persona 2

Reactions: MellowAvenue, DynamicDepression and Ringo
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
The spinoffs are just as great as the mainline games imo. SMT devil survivor overclocked is so good, but also really difficult too.
Well, it didn't help at all that the first two bosses were so disproportionate, Wendigo AKA Wilfredo overlevel you and had multi-hit skills if I remember correctly, on the other hand, Beldr... That bastard could only be attacked by the main character with the basic attack command. But of course, it was fun to go to NG + and break his face with drunken boxing.

D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
It's ironic they behave like the prototype of a nocturne-fanboy they criticize so much.
Really. Not saying those don't exist as well, but the Persona fanboys have by far overtaken the stereotype they like to refer to when someone mentions SMT.

I don't have much to say, although what you mention caught my attention, my 3DS stopped working, I prefer not to think about it much. PQ I had a lot of fun but I don't remember too much either.
Oh shit, I'm sorry to hear that. I won't go on about it then.

SMT V looks sick, but I don't have Switch :T
I recently finished SMT V. Although I enjoyed it, the game felt very unfinished. Storylines came and went without finishing and the characters are just horrendously written. I won't spoil anything, but don't expect much with the game's writing.

The gameplay is a downgrade from SMT IV Apocalypse, in my opinion. For every step forward, they take three steps back. I hope you'll end up liking it more than I did when you get to play it, though.

Soul Hackers 2... I didn't like the gameplay changes, why make it similar to Persona if you have the solid gameplay of Soul Hackers 1?I'll wait to see what else they reveal, but if Kresnik appears I'll buy it (?)
As a huge fan of the first Soul Hackers, I'm really upset about what Soul Hackers 2 seems to be doing. In addition to the gameplay changes you mentioned, I really hate the new art style. It looks exactly like any other low-budget anime game and feels absolutely nothing like Megami Tensei, let alone like Soul Hackers.

Something unrelated, it makes me laugh to think that technically, Dante and Sonic are the most powerful beings in the world of MegaTen hahahaha.
When did Sonic appear in MegaTen? I vaguely remember a crossover in Dx2, is that what you're referring to?

Yes. I started playing it because I got tired of the recent Pokémon games that have been coming out. The first SMT game I've played is was SMT 1 for the snes, and it is still one of my favorite jrpgs because of its story and music. I haven't played SMT 2 yet.

Another one of my favorites is SMT 4, I honestly think it's the best mainline game so far. I don't know about 5 because I haven't finished it yet.

The spinoffs are just as great as the mainline games imo. SMT devil survivor overclocked is so good, but also really difficult too. Devil summoner: soul hackers also has great gameplay, but is mostly aimed at SMT veterans. Then there is the megami spinoff everyone and their grandmother has heard about: Persona. Persona 3 is one of the best games I've ever played. Can be grindy at times, but everything about it is just perfect. Persona 4 is also a must play. I tried playing persona 2, but it's difficult to get past the gameplay and endless enemy encounters, so I just dropped it at the moment.

SMT games I haven't played yet:
-Raiden
-Strange journey
-Persona 5
-SMT 2

SMT games I haven't finished:
-Nocturne
-Devil survivor 2
-Majin Tensei
-SMT 5
-Persona 2
SMT IV is definitely my favorite mainline as well. It's also got the best ending in all of MegaTen: The White ending.

Regarding Persona 2, I posted in an earlier message a link to a fantastic cutscene/dialogue compilation that's great if you don't want to actually play the game yourself. That's what I did after I dropped it. The story is way too good to be missed out on.

Last edited:
WonderingSoul

WonderingSoul

Gamer
Dec 15, 2021
I recently finished SMT V. Although I enjoyed it, the game felt very unfinished. Storylines came and went without finishing and the characters are just horrendously written. I won't spoil anything, but don't expect much with the game's writing.

The gameplay is a downgrade from SMT IV Apocalypse, in my opinion. For every step forward, they take three steps back. I hope you'll end up liking it more than I did when you get to play it, though.
Yeah that's what I've heard from others. I do enjoy SMT 4/As gameplay a bit more and the OST in SMT 5 is a bit of a downgrade.
As a huge fan of the first Soul Hackers, I'm really upset about what Soul Hackers 2 seems to be doing. In addition to the gameplay changes you mentioned, I really hate the new art style. It looks exactly like any other low-budget anime game and feels absolutely nothing like Megami Tensei, let alone like Soul Hackers.
Do you mean the one that's been recently announced ? It hate the art style too, it looks extremely bland and kinda like a pseudo persona game. The previous style had soul and good art with it.

D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
Yeah that's what I've heard from others. I do enjoy SMT 4/As gameplay a bit more and the OST in SMT 5 is a bit of a downgrade.
It's unfortunate because I really love this franchise and want them to be the best they can be. When you've seen what masterpieces Atlus are capable of creating, it's a shame we have to settle for less. What makes it especially annoying is that many fans refuse to accept legitimate criticism and simply label you a "mindless hater" for speaking up about them. If I didn't care so much for this franchise and this company, I wouldn't be speaking up, I'd just stop buying their games.

Sorry, went into a bit of a tangent there.

• Love
Reactions: MellowAvenue and WonderingSoul
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
Really. Not saying those don't exist as well, but the Persona fanboys have by far overtaken the stereotype they like to refer to when someone mentions SMT.

Oh shit, I'm sorry to hear that. I won't go on about it then.

When did Sonic appear in MegaTen? I vaguely remember a crossover in Dx2, is that what you're referring to?

SMT IV is definitely my favorite mainline as well. It's also got the best ending in all of MegaTen: The White ending.

Regarding Persona 2, I posted in an earlier message a link to a fantastic cutscene/dialogue compilation that's great if you don't want to actually play the game yourself. That's what I did after I dropped it. The story is way too good to be missed out on.
Well, the Nocturne Fanboys are just edglords who only played Nocturne, the game whose most famous ending is "Fuck my friends and teacher, hey Luci where is the party?"

Haha, don't sweat about it, that happened more than a year ago, the only thing that made me sad was not being able to finish Project X Zone 2, it was a most bizarre but beautiful crossover.

I also got that impression when I saw the DLCs, I hope they don't start adding the Fiends as DLC only, because if they do, you have to exert pressure.

The mainline never had its strength in the stories, but it's a shame, SMT IV has a very good story, worse well, it will be a matter of playing it and evaluating everything, adapting to some changes will be a matter of personal taste.

My problem with Soul Hackers 2 is that it doesn't look like Soul Hackers, if it had been another Devil Summoner I wouldn't care. It also seems to have lost that detective noir atmosphere, characteristic of this Spin-off, come on, it would be enough to do something like in Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth.

THAT'S RIGHT! Sonic appeared in LDx2, Dante returned there too. Dante still uses the Rebellion and it's massively stronger than in DMC2, and Sonic doesn't use emeralds, so technically they can go a lot further.

Man, my favorite endings are the ones from Devil Survivor, especially Song of Hope and King of Demons, the first one handled its message very well and I loved how it unified all the characters under one goal in such a coherent and cathartic way. King of Demons on the other hand represents a pretty good development for Abel and Atsuru, very much in keeping with everything they discovered and not to mention the camaraderie between them with Mari, Black Frost, Kaido and Naoya, not to mention how they deepened in thought of Naoya, that character that we can never fully decipher, showing how in his strange way, he and Abel are brothers and they care for each other in their very strange way.

Kingdom of Saints was also a proper vision of the Law, nothing dictatorial, you are Jesus 2.0 haha, even Yuzu's route was improved in Overclocked, that eighth day was great.

Last edited:
WonderingSoul

WonderingSoul

Gamer
Dec 15, 2021
Yeah, I try to stay away from the fanbase, both shin Megami Tensei and persona fans. Both are pretty pretentious. When the new soul hackers dropped, people who DIDN'T even play the original soul hackers, kept saying the art style is fine or amazing because it looked like persona and that there was no reason to complain. Then this big argument started on Reddit until it died down a bit. Not all, but a lot of persona fans find the original SMT to be edgy, when at times persona can be just as edgy. Its just dumb shit fans throw back and forth, I've stopped interacting with the fans for some time.

But I do wish Atlus, does try different styles and stories instead of trying to be bland, and connect some of its modern games to persona or some style to that degree.

D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
Well, the Nocturne Fanboys are just edglords who only played Nocturne, the game whose most famous ending is "Fuck my friends and teacher, hey Luci where is the party?"

Haha, don't sweat about it, that happened more than a year ago, the only thing that made me sad was not being able to finish Project X Zone 2, it was a most bizarre but beautiful crossover.
I also got that impression when I saw the DLCs, I hope they don't start adding the Fiends as DLC only, because if they do, you have to exert pressure.

The mainline never had its strength in the stories, but it's a shame, SMT IV has a very good story, worse well, it will be a matter of playing it and evaluating everything, adapting to some changes will be a matter of personal taste.

My problem with Soul Hackers 2 is that it doesn't look like Soul Hackers, if it had been another Devil Summoner I wouldn't care. It also seems to have lost that detective noir atmosphere, characteristic of this Spin-off, come on, it would be enough to do something like in Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth.

THAT'S RIGHT! Sonic appeared in LDx2, Dante returned there too. Dante still uses the Rebellion and it's massively stronger than in DMC2, and Sonic doesn't use emeralds, so technically they can go a lot further.

Man, my favorite endings are the ones from Devil Survivor, especially Song of Hope and King of Demons, the first one handled its message very well and I loved how it unified all the characters under one goal in such a coherent and cathartic way. King of Demons on the other hand represents a pretty good development for Abel and Atsuru, very much in keeping with everything they discovered and not to mention the camaraderie between them with Mari, Black Frost, Kaido and Naoya, not to mention how they deepened in thought of Naoya, that character that we can never fully decipher, showing how in his strange way, he and Abel are brothers and they care for each other in their very strange way.

Kingdom of Saints was also a proper vision of the Law, nothing dictatorial, you are Jesus 2.0 haha, even Yuzu's route was improved in Overclocked, that eighth day was great.
The Fiends being DLC just hurts me to the core. I really wanted to fight and use them in SMT V, but I refuse to give Atlus my money when they use such cheap tricks to get a quick buck.

I don't necessarily agree that mainline SMT has never been strong storywise. There is a lot more to the story than just events and dialogue, such as Nocturne's atmosphere and Strange Journey's existential horror. Either way, I do really hope you will get enjoyment out of the same. If all else fails, there's always a Jack Frost to talk to.

Yeah, I really hate that they're using the Soul Hackers brand for this game. There is literally no reason why this couldn't have been a new Devil Summoner subseries instead.

I haven't finished Devil Survivor yet so I won't read what you've written.

Yeah, I try to stay away from the fanbase, both shin Megami Tensei and persona fans. Both are pretty pretentious. When the new soul hackers dropped, people who DIDN'T even play the original soul hackers, kept saying the art style is fine or amazing because it looked like persona and that there was no reason to complain. Then this big argument started on Reddit until it died down a bit. Not all, but a lot of persona fans find the original SMT to be edgy, when at times persona can be just as edgy. Its just dumb shit fans throw back and forth, I've stopped interacting with the fans for some time.

But I do wish Atlus, does try different styles and stories instead of trying to be bland, and connect some of its modern games to persona or some style to that degree.
I couldn't agree more. I love the entire MegaTen franchise and want every game and subseries to explore the franchise's themes and ideas in every way possible. It really is such a major shame that MegaTen fans are so close-minded when the games themselves have so many ideas and concepts worthy of discussion.

Reactions: WonderingSoul
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
The Fiends being DLC just hurts me to the core. I really wanted to fight and use them in SMT V, but I refuse to give Atlus my money when they use such cheap tricks to get a quick buck.
It hurts me that they don't have encounters as varied as in Nocturne, because each one hunted you in very different ways, they don't even have gruesome encounters like the Bels from Devil Survivor.
I don't necessarily agree that mainline SMT has never been strong storywise. There is a lot more to the story than just events and dialogue, such as Nocturne's atmosphere and Strange Journey's existential horror. Either way, I do really hope you will get enjoyment out of the same. If all else fails, there's always a Jack Frost to talk to.
I didn't count Strange Jorney or SJ Redux since in the end they are not considered part of the mainline as far as I found out, but they were spectacular games, my SJ disturbed me as much as Digital Devil Saga made me melancholic.

But well, going back to the subject, I'm not saying that they aren't good in that aspect, it's just that it was never what they stood out the most, for example, if I compare Nocturne with other PS2 Megaten, this one doesn't stand out for the narrative but for its gameplay quite different from the others and can be more complete and varied.
Yeah, I really hate that they're using the Soul Hackers brand for this game. There is literally no reason why this couldn't have been a new Devil Summoner subseries instead.

Trying to see the good in this, I hope the game ends up being good and that way we can have more Devil Summoner Games, I would give everything for a new Raidou Kuzunoha. I really liked TMS despite how strange the decision was.

MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
THAT'S RIGHT! Sonic appeared in LDx2
I ended up looking up LDx2 on the fan wiki and it sounds mental. I usually avoid F2P mobile games like the plague but might bite and check this one out.

Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
I ended up looking up LDx2 on the fan wiki and it sounds mental. I usually avoid F2P mobile games like the plague but might bite and check this one out.
The game is fun, it has a good catalog of demons and several interesting collabs, the campaign is also entertaining. Something that should be noted is that the fusion system is still intact, so the gacha is more useful to get fussion-materials. It's so easy to get what you want.

GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
You've peaked my interest, I'm gonna have a look into this now!

• Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: WonderingSoul and DynamicDepression
D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
Trying to see the good in this, I hope the game ends up being good and that way we can have more Devil Summoner Games, I would give everything for a new Raidou Kuzunoha. I really liked TMS despite how strange the decision was.
Oh yes, I loved Tokyo Mirage Sessions and bought it twice (once for the Wii U and then the Switch port). It's one of my favorite MegaTen games, mechanically. I do however think it is the embodiment of wasted potential and I fully understand why people hate it so much. I myself hate what it stands for, but the game itself is really good.

You've peaked my interest, I'm gonna have a look into this now!
Awesome! Hope you'll end up liking it. Feel free to ask any questions or recommendations on where to start.

• Love
Reactions: Ringo and GentleJerk
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
Oh yes, I loved Tokyo Mirage Sessions and bought it twice (once for the Wii U and then the Switch port). It's one of my favorite MegaTen games, mechanically. I do however think it is the embodiment of wasted potential and I fully understand why people hate it so much. I myself hate what it stands for, but the game itself is really good.
TMS didn't mess with my expectations, it just confused me, I didn't understand why promote it as a crossover and let it sit for so long to present that. I was waiting for a Devil Survivor skin but I didn't care that much either, although I'm a big fan of both sagas, the idea of the crossover and its possible stories didn't interest me much. So with the fact that it went well in gameplay I was happy.

Btw, this is a Megaten thread and we haven't talked about our favorite demons, obviously my favorite is Sonic Lucifer Frost, our lord and savior.

Tumblr no9mm5yiBv1rm3a56o1 400

• Yay!